Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2005 :  14:05:28  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!! I have many things to be thankful for...My husband, children, Job, Self....Do you?

Today we are just hanging at home...Kids playing outside...Me cooking...Talking... Consciousnes.... Does consciousness exist outside body... is the body merly a receptor for the trasmission of consciousness...resulting in what we define as reality... time ...space...
Many religions...cultures..and myths believe that Pure Consciousness lies within... Light.. but even before we define what Pure consciousness is ...we should try to understand what Consciousness itself is..
I am reading a most wonderful book by Peter Russel From Science to God...I am thinking on how the Science of Light..and the numerous Light Dieties (i.e. Mithra Jesus) might correlate...What does light have in common with Consciousness...

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2005 :  15:05:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Storm:
…What does light have in common with Consciousness...

Well, it has often been said; “The lights are on but no one's home.”

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2005 :  15:50:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Originally posted by Kil
quote:
Well, it has often been said; “The lights are on but no one's home.”

Soooo hilarious....Do you not philosophize at all Kil... Have you read the book by Peter Russel...You should check it out..

quote:
With all your science can you tell how it is, and whence it is, that light comes into the soul

quote:
For the rest of my life I want to reflect on what light is.

quote:
There is no creature who perceives all of what is and what happens

quote:
God sleeps in the rock,dreams in the plant, stirs in the animal, and awakens in man

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2005 :  15:56:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
I wonder how he knows animals have no 'consciousness' whatsoever. For all we know, mice can be ruling the world and we're just their pawns...

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2005 :  16:06:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Originally posted by Siberia
quote:
I wonder how he knows animals have no 'consciousness' whatsoever. For all we know, mice can be ruling the world and we're just their pawns...

Actually he believes that animals do have their own consciousess... even plants....they in themselves have their own experience...their own forms of reality..their own consciousness...
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2005 :  16:31:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Storm:
Do you not philosophize at all Kil...

Sure I do. I just don't have much interest in metaphysics. Well, beyond the obvious skeptics interest anyhow. I can think of much more pleasurable ways to masturbate. But, as John Lennon once sang; “Whatever gets you through the night…”

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2005 :  16:37:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Back at'cha on the Happy Thanksgiving!

Beyond that, I dom't think I'll try and deal with the consciousmess question simply because I don't know anything about it.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2005 :  16:48:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Oh yeah, Happy Thanksgiving Storm. I must now go and enjoy a lovely meal...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2005 :  17:09:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Happy Thanksgiving, too

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2005 :  18:17:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Happy Thanksgiving, Storm.

Siberia: You're too prescious. Next, you'll be saying that mice are the reason for Earth being here at all.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Subjectmatter
Skeptic Friend

173 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2005 :  01:50:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Subjectmatter a Private Message
May I ask, Storm, why you insist on relating something material, such as light, to consciousness while at the same time maintaining that consciousness is immaterial?

Why don't you try to read some serious ohilosophy instead of that religious drivel?

Happy Thanksgiving.

Sibling Atom Bomb of Couteous Debate
Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2005 :  04:45:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
Hope your Thanksgiving was a good one, Storm.

Ron White
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2005 :  05:00:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Siberia: You're too prescious. Next, you'll be saying that mice are the reason for Earth being here at all.

... but they are!

-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2005 :  05:56:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

... but they are!

'Tis true!

quote:
The episode begins with a narration describing the significance of Magrathea, a planet that long long ago manufactured custom-designed planets for rich businessmen. Due to its immense success, Magrathea became the richest planet in the galaxy and the galactic economy collapsed. Ford and Zaphod argue about the accuracy of this legend, Ford believing that it is nonsense, Zaphod believing he has found the long-lost planet.

As the ship lands, it triggers an automated recorded message, from the Commercial Council of Magrathea, that notes that Magrathea is currently closed for business, and to leave. A follow-up message announces that nuclear missiles will be launched against the ship.

The missiles are detected, and the crew struggle to get the Heart of Gold to escape the missiles. Disaster is averted when Arthur activates the Infinite Improbability Drive and the missiles are turned into a bowl of petunias and a very surprised-looking sperm whale. Trillian notes that her white mice (that she had taken with her from the Earth) have escaped.

The ship lands, and Ford, Arthur, Zaphod, Trillian and Marvin go onto the surface. They split up, and Zaphod, Trillian and Ford explore a tunnel, noting that they seem to be following the mice, whilst Arthur and Marvin are left on the surface as lookout. Eventually, Slartibartfast comes to meet Arthur, and takes him into the interior of the planet, leaving Marvin behind. Inside Magrathea, he shows Arthur a planet that they are working on at the moment. Arthur recognises it as the Earth. Slartibartfast explains that the original Earth had been destroyed five minutes too early, and they are constructing a replacement. The original Earth had been apparently been commissioned by some mice in order to find the "Ultimate Question".

The episodes begins with a recap of the events of the series so far, moving a conversation where Slartibartfast explains that mice are really "the protusions into our dimension of vast hyper-intelligent pan-dimensional beings", and that they commissioned the Earth. He plays Arthur some recordings explaining the historical events. This race of pan-dimensional beings had constructed a great computer, called Deep Thought, to answer the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe and Everything. It did, after seven million years, have the Answer to the Ultimate Question, a rather disappointing 42. Deep Thought explains that this is only disappointing because they never really understood what the Question was. They ask the computer if he can find out what the Ultimate Question is. Deep Thought, cannot, but promises to design a computer that can, and names it the Earth.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2005 :  15:51:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Originally posted by subjectmatter

quote:
May I ask, Storm, why you insist on relating something material, such as light, to consciousness while at the same time maintaining that consciousness is immaterial?

Why don't you try to read some serious ohilosophy instead of that religious drivel?

I am trying to sort things out in my mind. How do we define material from immaterial? Philosopy I got an A in philosophy... What is wrong with religion?
Originally posted by Filthy
quote:
Beyond that, I dom't think I'll try and deal with the consciousmess question simply because I don't know anything about it.

Why donn't you try?
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  00:15:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

Why donn't you try?

To what end? I am neither scientist nor philosopher, and my interests are concentrated elsewhere. It is anough that I am conscious (mostly), and that I can use that consciousness in pursuit of that which does interests me.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds.