Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  19:49:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Scott...

Now let me get this straight, in NDEP the bald little puppy, after having gone north into the cold, would have to wait around for a few million years while NS sorts out this dilemma and designs the first dog hair with the forethought and future plans to add more hairs together over the next few millions of years to make coat for the puppy?
After all these postings which have explained clearly that evolution does not plan or apply forethought to anything, the fact that you persist in believing that ridiculous notion shows beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are truly an idiot incapable of comprehending simple written English.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  21:34:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Scott...

Now let me get this straight, in NDEP the bald little puppy, after having gone north into the cold, would have to wait around for a few million years while NS sorts out this dilemma and designs the first dog hair with the forethought and future plans to add more hairs together over the next few millions of years to make coat for the puppy?

Bill's version of evolution (and that he thinks that it is anywhere close to what anyone here has suggested) actually makes me happy. I am sure it is unwitting, but what Bill has built in the above question is one of the funniest strawmen I have ever seen…

Thanks for that Bill!

I assure you, there is no point to correct him…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  03:05:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Indeed!

Now then Bill:
quote:
Oh and lest we forget, what reference do you have that all mutations are harmful, and, if the ToE is false, what do you have in it's place as an explanation for the variety of life on earth?

Common courtesy insists that you provide answers to these brief and simple questions, even if it's no more than "fuck off."

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

trogdor
Skeptic Friend

198 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  11:07:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trogdor a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by trogdor

I'm not all the way through reading the last thread of this topic so if someone has posted this forgive me.
having spent 4 years in the public education system I am enraged that you are still attacking it. You spew out unsupported assertions, and when I question one of the claims you made "where does Darwin say that he expects lots of transitional fossils?" you ignore it and then give the same assertions again and again. So, if I'm a illiterate dumbass why can't you answer my question?

Okay, clearly you won't respond to my criticism. cool. but next time you try to put words in Darwin's Mouth try reading his books. clearly you have'nt before.
this thread is wasting my time. to quote the Coen Bro.s "i'm gunna R-U-N-N-O-F-T.
P.S. there are things called Hox genes that allow hair (and other things) to spread across an animals body real fast.

all eyes were on Ford Prefect. some of them were on stalks.
-Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  11:37:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
This whole dog hair booshwah is nothing but a large, rendolent, and apparently pretty damned successful red herring.

The relevant questions, a couple of them anyway, are:
quote:
Lest we forget, what reference do you have that all mutations are harmful, and, if the ToE is false, what do you have in it's place as an explanation for the variety of life on earth?

We await enlightenment.....

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  14:26:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Bill, you seem to ignore my posts altogether. What gives?

You ask all these questions about evolution as if they were unsolvable given our present understanding. The fact is, genetics has provided the answers. Are you just unwilling to learn anything new or are you merely, as I suspect, a troll, baiting everyone with insincere posts?

If you are interested, try genetics 201. 101 gives you the basics about inheritance, genes, chromosomes and so on. 201 will explain to you how the genes are organized. It is that organization which gives an overall plan from which single and accumulated mutations produce hair in a previously hairless species. Our genetics are organized in segments in such a way that a mere single nucleotide substitution can create the change needed to get an antenna or an arm or a leg or a wing.

Look at 6 toed cats. How do you think such a mutation occurred? Isn't a whole 6th toe incredible? Shouldn't you have seen a stub, then a bigger stub and eventually many generations later a whole toe? How do you get 6 toes instead of 5 in a single generation?

You can ask all the questions you want here. You won't find something that invalidates evolution or changes an educated person's view. You merely show you are sadly under informed as to how evolution occurs. Bring your science up to date, Dude. You're just wasting thread space with these questions.
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  01:18:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

Bill, you seem to ignore my posts altogether. What gives?
My bet: He is a coward.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  07:47:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
Bring your science up to date, Dude.

Hey!

My science isn't up to date?

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  14:27:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

quote:
Bring your science up to date, Dude.

Hey!

My science isn't up to date?

Whoops, shouldn't have capitalized that. Sorry.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  14:47:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
Whoops, shouldn't have capitalized that. Sorry.

Send me beer, and all shall be forgiven

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  15:03:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Ok, being as how Bill staunchly refuses to answer any and all questions, and, being as how this thread has become only slightly more interesting than a Republican National Convention, I think I'll do a little on extremophiles, notably but not entirely thermophiliacs. As noted in the link above, bacteria can turn up in the damnedest places and even can form the anchor species in an ecology based upon chemicals such as hydrogen sulfide instead of photosynthesis. Imagine a really foul egg that has gone far beyond it's sell-by date, and you have the gentle fragrance of hydrogen sulfide..
quote:
Extremophiles
As discussed in the exhibit on "mutation.shtml", bacteria have the potential to adapt to extreme conditions. Many places on Earth are too harsh to support most life forms, but can support bacteria. Before we explore some of the hottest, coldest, darkest and deepest places of our planet, let's have a look at some bacteria with extraordinary characteristics.

Larger than life bacteria were isolated from a kind of surgeon fish (Source: JC Brown). Large bacteria were also found off the coast of Namibia. The Thiomargarita namibiensis can be seen with the naked eye! (Source: Microbes at ASM).

Did you know that bacteria have babies too? (Source: JC Brown) These are an exception, for most bacteria divide by fission budding. This means that as the cell grows, the body mass increases until their body divides into two equal parts, each receiving its equal share of constituents, including the (then completely duplicated) DNA. However, sexual reproduction is also possible, as is explained in the exhibit on "evolution.shtml".

Some bacteria can 'feel' a magnetic field, and they don't even need a compass to know where North is. The following link contains a lot of jargon, but is still interesting: Bacteria can 'feel' a magnetic field (Source: American Geophysical Union).

Would you believe that Can bacteria make gold (Source: K. S. Kruszelnicki). Don't think microbiologists are the alchemists of the twentieth century, but it is tempting to investigate this matter further. There may be a 'golden' future for the person who can cultivate these jewels! Their less fortunate cousins can precipitate iron or manganese, as can be seen on these Microscopic views. (Source: USGS).

An interview with William Broad:

quote:
DAVID GERGEN: You call it in your book "The Garden of Eden." That suggests that this may be the origins of life on Earth.

WILLIAM BROAD: Sure. Just almost as soon as this area was discovered people started speculating on it being a possible place for life to have started. It's hot and it's constant. It's down there, cooking the whole time. It's like a test tube, a scientist's test tube. And the reasoning has evolved now for almost 20 years, and evidence keeps building stronger and stronger that these places, these hot vents and these black chimneys--with all this hot--enormously hot water coming out--are the place where life began on this planet.

DAVID GERGEN: You've been writing more recently in the New York Times that this discovery of this darker ecosystem, darker powered ecosystem, as you called it, is related to the voyages we're now making to Mars and to Jupit

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  15:43:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Face it, we respond to trolls. It's our sincere nature that we don't recognize the insincere.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  16:06:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
There was a 4 part special on Discovery HD about how life began and evolved on this planet, speculating exactly what filthy was saying, and including other theories like seeding from Mars or from comets. Quite intersting - with pretty HDTV graphics ! ;-)

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  18:33:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

Face it, we respond to trolls. It's our sincere nature that we don't recognize the insincere.
Some of us recognize them almost immediately, but go wading in anyway due to an over abundance of masochism.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  19:32:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

... I think I'll do a little on extremophiles, notably but not entirely thermophiliacs....

Thanks for an interesting read and links! Gosh, people talk about possible alien life on distant worlds, but we got 'em right here!

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds.