Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2006 :  03:54:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I always figger that people other than Bill, or whoever, will be reading (or ignoring) the post. I'd rather reach them, even though I'll probably never know for sure of their existance.

Abiogenesis is a fascinating topic. At first blush, it looks like the hydrothermal vents might not only be the cradle of life on earth, but they might still be producing proto-bacteria today. Everything seems to be in place: the chemestry, the energy, and a reliable nutrient scorce. When first I read of them, I thought, after the obligitory, 11 second coffee ceremony: that's gotta be it!

But is it? While all of the goodies a thermophilic micro-organism might enjoy are there, we don't know the exact chemestry of the sea water lo, these billions of years ago. Like everything else, these bacteria have evolved, as have the creatures that live in association with them. It could be that our present seas are are poisonous to newly minted life forms, and although they might be still produced from the vents, they all end up DOA. It is concievable that, if the vents were the cradle, it might have been pretty much a one-shot event.

Just a thought -- no support for it.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2006 :  10:59:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
There are good points to your reasoning, Filthy.
As life evolve from the first sparks, the competition makes them (the bacteria) more apt at taking care of the resources that was there to live on. As they evolve they get more robust as more and more DNA ensure the survival of them.

In the light of these more evolveed extremophiles, how could newly formed "abiogenesis"-originating bacteria hope to compete with bacteria that has already gone several rounds in ring-of-ropes against their peers? Once life managed to spread to most biotopes, the presense of already living bacteria will effectively block any new abiogenesis by consuming the resources present for abiogenesis, or by simple consuming the products of the "new" abiogenesis.

I'm afraid we will only be able to study abiogenesis in the lab and in computer simulations. But not in Nature.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 01/01/2006 13:35:23
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.75 seconds.