Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  05:46:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Snake

quote:
Originally posted by Starman
Just lost my respect for Isaac Hayes. Sad though.

Had I known he was into Scientology I would have had lost respect at 1st.

BTW, I just started TRYING to watch that South Park show. Never saw it before although had heard the name before. It's stupid. I can't even understand what some of the cartoons are saying. The voices are muffled. Is it supposed to be funny?

I'd never seen it either, never heard of it in fact, until this thread. But then, my relationship with television is one of contempt bordering on disgust. If it wasn't for the VCR and DVD player, and The Simpsons, Fanily Guy and a couple of others, I likely wouldn't bother with one. I like the WWE Smackdown as well, but can miss it with never a regret.

Anyhow, so this Hays fellow is a Scientologist? Call me a bigot if you must, but that puts him in with some pretty vile and slimy company, in my book. I think that calling it a cult is giving the bastards too much credit.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  11:55:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:

.... I can't even understand what some of the cartoons are saying. The voices are muffled. ...

Kenny?
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  15:20:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
And now Ton Cruise has pressured Viacom into forcing them to pull the scientology episode from Comedy Central.

He was going to refuse to do publicity for MI3 (mission impossible three).

What a fucking asshole.

I'm boycotting all Tom Cruise movies.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  16:17:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Filthy, here's one of my favourite exchanges in South Park:

Stan : "Why would God let Kenny die, Chef? Why? Kenny's my friend. Why can't God take someone else's friend?"

Chef : "Stan, sometimes God takes those closest to us, because it makes him feel better about himself. He is a very vengeful God, Stan. He's all pissed off about something we did thousands of years ago. He just can't get over it, so he doesn't care who he takes. Children, puppies, it don't matter to him, so long as it makes us sad. Do you understand?"

Stan : "But then, why does God give us anything to start with?"

Chef : "Well, look at it this way: if you want to make a baby cry, first you give it a lollipop. Then you take it away. If you never give it a lollipop to begin with, then you would have nothin' to cry about. That's like God, who gives us life and love and help just so that he can tear it all away and make us cry, so he can drink the sweet milk of our tears. You see, it's our tears, Stan, that give God his great power."

Stan : "I think I understand."

- Chef explains death to Stan, when Kenny dies for real

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  16:25:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
I heard this one very shortly after my mother-in-law passed away in cancer. With my background in the Pentecostal church, and being an agnostic/skeptic in training since 5-10 years back, I could definitely relate to the quote and its stab at the absurdness of organised religion.

That Isaac Hayes was fine with exchanges like these (since he made them) but objected to stabs at Scientology makes him a first class hypocrite in my eyes.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  16:30:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Thanks Doc; pretty good, post-mortum exchange. This show must be on cable which is why I've never heard of it. For the little I watch the toob, it's not worth the price.

I may get my son-in-law to tape an episode or two for me...

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  19:30:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy
I'd never seen it either, never heard of it in fact, until this thread. But then, my relationship with television is one of contempt bordering on disgust. If it wasn't for the VCR and DVD player, and The Simpsons, Fanily Guy and a couple of others, I likely wouldn't bother with one. I like the WWE Smackdown as well, but can miss it with never a regret.

Anyhow, so this Hays fellow is a Scientologist? Call me a bigot if you must, but that puts him in with some pretty vile and slimy company, in my book. I think that calling it a cult is giving the bastards too much credit.

Hayes is a pretty good musician and I'd seen him in a few acting rolls years ago but hadn't for a many years since, known what he'd been doing.
The Simpsons and Family Guy are just TOO funny. Much easier to understand what they are saying too. Some times I can belive on Family Guy they got some of those lines past the censors. I have them on DVD too but have never taken them out of the package yet. Collectors item, you know!

Filthy, You watch WWE Smackdown? AH....OK? Hum! I can understand to a point but on the other hand you seem more intelligent than that.
Edited by - Snake on 03/17/2006 19:32:48
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  19:36:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Filthy, here's one of my favourite exchanges in South Park:

Stan : "Why would God let Kenny die, Chef? Why? Kenny's my friend. Why can't God take someone else's friend?"

Chef : "Stan, sometimes God takes those closest to us, because it makes him feel better about himself. He is a very vengeful God, Stan. He's all pissed off about something we did thousands of years ago. He just can't get over it, so he doesn't care who he takes. Children, puppies, it don't matter to him, so long as it makes us sad. Do you understand?"

Stan : "But then, why does God give us anything to start with?"

Chef : "Well, look at it this way: if you want to make a baby cry, first you give it a lollipop. Then you take it away. If you never give it a lollipop to begin with, then you would have nothin' to cry about. That's like God, who gives us life and love and help just so that he can tear it all away and make us cry, so he can drink the sweet milk of our tears. You see, it's our tears, Stan, that give God his great power."

Stan : "I think I understand."

- Chef explains death to Stan, when Kenny dies for real

What is so funny about that?
I never saw that show 'Friends', happened to mention to someone I didn't think it was funny, from the clips I ever saw. She said, 'you have to know the characters'. Guess that's the case with South Park, otherwise it's not funny. Seeing it the 1st time didn't impress me so can't get into the show. And that dialogue above doesn't help.

About that conversation above... That's why it's the Jewish god. Sound just like when my mother would say 'Why me?' and all that nonsense. Except it was only funny because she said it in Yiddish.
Edited by - Snake on 03/17/2006 19:47:18
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  01:16:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

...She said, 'you have to know the characters'. Guess that's the case with South Park, otherwise it's not funny. Seeing it the 1st time didn't impress me so can't get into the show. And that dialogue above doesn't help.
All you've really got to know about that dialog to make it funny is that Stan is eight years old, and Chef is an adult who's actually saying those things to try to help a child understand death. Well, it'd probably help more if you knew that the dialog is a satire of the rationalizations some people make about religions, but that gives away the punchline.

It might also help if you knew that South Park began as a "video greeting card" in which a group of kids watch Jesus and Santa have an actual fist fight (and then some) about the true meaning of Christmas. You can view it here, but it is in no way "work safe" (if you care about such things).

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  04:19:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Hayes is a pretty good musician and I'd seen him in a few acting rolls years ago but hadn't for a many years since, known what he'd been doing.
The Simpsons and Family Guy are just TOO funny. Much easier to understand what they are saying too. Some times I can belive on Family Guy they got some of those lines past the censors. I have them on DVD too but have never taken them out of the package yet. Collectors item, you know!

Filthy, You watch WWE Smackdown? AH....OK? Hum! I can understand to a point but on the other hand you seem more intelligent than that.

Sure, why not?

I have something of a history with pro wrestling. As A kid in the early '50s, I had a friend whose step father was Chief Big Heart, a famous wrestler of the era. I used to go the the matches with them, and so was hip to the gaff early on. I met many of the then famous old-timers including Killer Kowalski, Jerry Graham, Yukon Eric, and Gorrila Monsoon.

If you know what's really going on, it's always a good show. It's fun to try and guess how the various story lines (they have writers, just like Hollywood) will turn out.

By the bye, the blood is real. Virtually all long-time, pro wrestlers have scarred foreheads. Big Heart's looked like a road map.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  05:07:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
And now Ton Cruise has pressured Viacom into forcing them to pull the scientology episode from Comedy Central.

I think I saw comedy central broadcast this epsidode just a couple of days ago (at least my tivo picked it up). EDIT: my tivo recorded something, but it wasn't that epsiode. Apologies!

MI3 will most likely stink (hopoefully), and I can't wait until it is revealed that the child his wife is carrying does not contain one sliver of his DNA and that those cult nut jobs impregnated her for him.

I would also say if you are a fan of the Simpsons and Family Guy (I am, especially Family Guy), then South Park should be right up your alley.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 03/18/2006 05:30:17
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  10:55:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

What a fucking asshole.

I'm boycotting all Tom Cruise movies.

I started boycotting Tom Cruise movies years ago, long before his Scientology became an issue. For me, it was because he's such a shitty actor.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  15:03:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco
I would also say if you are a fan of the Simpsons and Family Guy (I am, especially Family Guy), then South Park should be right up your alley.

Not from my POV. I find the art work uninteresting. And the jerky motion of the characters gives me a 'headache'. The voices are annoying. And again I tried to watch it, even a little longer this time to give it a fair chance, but NO, it's just not that funny.
I can forgive the art work in Family Guy, which isn't all that bad because the acting is great and it IS SO funny.
The Simpsons, the art and direction is OUTSTANDING. Some individual shows have so much quality it's a shame it probably is under appreciated because of the audience it's aimed towards.

BTW, South Park has only been on Los Angeles stations a short time, it was not on TV here before so I couldn't have seen it. Thank goodness!
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  15:13:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthyMary Mallon "The most dangerous woman in America!" or so it was said.

BTW:
Well, she was kind of a bitch. Even though they did what they did to her.
Times have changed!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  16:23:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by R.Wreck
I started boycotting Tom Cruise movies years ago, long before his Scientology became an issue. For me, it was because he's such a shitty actor.

To be honest, I think he's improved a lot since Top Gun. Ok, War of the Worlds wasn't that good.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds.