Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  05:51:44  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Fundies counter gay activists' "Day of Silence" (a day when gays do not speak all day at colleges and high schools) with a "Day of Truth", where Christian bigots wear T-shirts and hand out cards expressing their stance on the homosexual "lifestyle".

News article about it: http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCulture.asp?Page=/Culture/archive/200604/CUL20060425a.html

Buy your bigoted T-shirts: http://www.dayoftruth.org/main/default.aspx

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  06:41:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Haven't seen any around my part of the woods, but if I do I might express my "Day of Truth" to them.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  10:35:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
I find the term 'bigotry' interesting here. On the web site, they're defending themselves against the term because they say (as usual) that it's they who have been unable to express their opinion.

What about expressing their opinion on this subject is bigotry? I'm not sure where that line is.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  11:46:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
quote:
I find the term 'bigotry' interesting here. On the web site, they're defending themselves against the term because they say (as usual) that it's they who have been unable to express their opinion.

What about expressing their opinion on this subject is bigotry? I'm not sure where that line is.
I'm not calling their expression of their opinion bigotry. I'm calling their opinion itself bigotry. A bigot is some who stands for intolerance. The Christian fanatics who attack gays are intolerant; they do not want Christians to have the same rights as anyone else. And they base their opinion on a handful of scriptural passages that Christian theologians and sects do not agree on. Let alone if Christians agree, there is no secular basis for their stance against equal rights for gays, so that stance certainly fits the bill for bigotry.

If you want to argue that Christians shouldn't be limited or censored from expressing that opinion in certain environments such as public schools, that is an argument over local policies. Indeed, that's a complex problem that every school and community has to deal with. But that is not what I'm complaining about here.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Edited by - marfknox on 04/26/2006 11:49:33
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  11:50:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Also, Gorgo, I'm not saying that Christians should be forcibly stopped from doing this "Day of Truth" stunt. This is a free country and bigots get the same freedom of expression as everyone else. I'm simply criticizing their bigotry.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  12:21:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I'm with you on this, marfknox. Bigotry's bigotry, even when it's legal bigotry. Call it as you see it.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  12:54:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
What a perfect example. The "Day of Silence" is a peaceful, quite way to protest without shoving their view onto anyone else. When the fundamentalists protest, the first thing that pops into their mind is to shove their view into everyone else's face.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  12:56:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox

quote:

I'm not calling their expression of their opinion bigotry. I'm calling their opinion itself bigotry. A bigot is some who stands for intolerance. The Christian fanatics who attack gays are intolerant; they do not want Christians to have the same rights as anyone else. And they base their opinion on a handful of scriptural passages that Christian theologians and sects do not agree on. Let alone if Christians agree, there is no secular basis for their stance against equal rights for gays, so that stance certainly fits the bill for bigotry.

If you want to argue that Christians shouldn't be limited or censored from expressing that opinion in certain environments such as public schools, that is an argument over local policies. Indeed, that's a complex problem that every school and community has to deal with. But that is not what I'm complaining about here.

I don't think that holding an opinion that a sex act between two men or two women as a perverse or unnatural act would be considered in and of itself to be bigoted. Now it you throw rocks at their car or house I would say this would be the point where the behavour could/should be called bigoted.

In all seriousness I think the word bigot has been so over used in the public square that most people don't even bat an eye when the accusations of bigoted behaviour fly around by anybody against anyone. I am sure we all are bogoted against something and none is immune...

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

The fact that humans do science is what causes errors in science. -Dave W.-

Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  12:57:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message
From the linked to site:
"Last year more than 1,100 students from over 350 schools participated and shared the Truth with their classmates. But there are so many more who need to hear the Truth, spoken in love."

Yup. Can't you just feel that gay-hating love?

Doesn't it make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside?
They're just all puppies and butterflies they are.

--------------------------------------------------
- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  14:29:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
I think whether they are bigoted or not, their literature makes every effort not to appear bigoted. They're very careful to word what they say to appear to be against foolish behavior, and not the people committing that behavior. That's quite a contrast to the "God Hates Fags" approach and that is mild compared to the outright lynching that maybe some of these people would have been involved not so many years ago.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  19:14:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Yes, they're being careful in order to hide their prejudice underneath Jesus' cloak of "love and compassion," all the while claiming that homosexuals are engaged in "personal and socially destructive behavior." They even claim to have a stranglehold on the Truth-with-a-capital-T, for no other reason than the Bible tells them that Jesus is the source of that Truth.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  20:39:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Bill wrote:
quote:
I don't think that holding an opinion that a sex act between two men or two women as a perverse or unnatural act would be considered in and of itself to be bigoted. Now it you throw rocks at their car or house I would say this would be the point where the behavour could/should be called bigoted.

Sorry, Bill, but you are wrong. This is a project of the Alliance Defense Fund, which is defined on the website as "a legal alliance defending the right to hear and speak the Truth through strategy, training, funding, and litigation." (my emphasis) That litigation does not just include protecting Christian freedom of speech (which the ACLU does all the time BTW). They are trying to impose the rigid dogmatic morality of a minority of Christians onto the whole of society. Specifically, these people are the ones standing in the way of equal rights and benefits for gay families. Heck, these are the people that wanted to keep sodomy laws around too so gays couldn't even have sex legally! Clearly these people are intolerant toward gays. That is why it qualifies as bigotry.

Edited by - marfknox on 04/26/2006 20:53:34
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  20:51:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
gorgo wrote:
quote:
I think whether they are bigoted or not, their literature makes every effort not to appear bigoted. They're very careful to word what they say to appear to be against foolish behavior, and not the people committing that behavior. That's quite a contrast to the "God Hates Fags" approach and that is mild compared to the outright lynching that maybe some of these people would have been involved not so many years ago.
It's just intentionally that slick. Read their website and the site of their parent organization (http://www.alliancedefensefund.org/main/default.aspx) and the rhetoric reveals itself.

One buzzphrase is “gay agenda”. The phrase has no meaning except from a warped or dishonest point of view. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_agenda

Edited by - marfknox on 04/26/2006 20:55:22
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  23:18:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bill scott
In all seriousness I think the word bigot has been so over used in the public square that most people don't even bat an eye when the accusations of bigoted behaviour fly around by anybody against anyone. I am sure we all are bogoted against something and none is immune...

Bill, you are right, and if people were honest they'd admit they can't treat everyone equal every time.
A bigot is someone who favors his own group and what's wrong with that? It happens all the time. Buddies are always going to stick together. Gee, just thinking, it happens on this very site, often.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  03:15:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
quote:
A bigot is someone who favors his own group and what's wrong with that? It happens all the time. Buddies are always going to stick together. Gee, just thinking, it happens on this very site, often.

Not just favors his own group, but is intolerant of other groups. That's the distinction here, and Marf's (and my) point here is that it seems that they've hired some P.R. people to try to make it look like they're not bigots. Well, she's not saying that "it seems," she's saying they are bigots and they're not hiding it well.

We all probably have some level of prejudice and even bigotry.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 04/27/2006 03:26:01
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  04:12:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
From the cybernews story: "Students can't be expected to make good, well-informed decisions if they're only being told part of the story. Allowing the communication of one viewpoint and claiming it's the only viewpoint is advocating, not educating,"

So they call their view "the truth".

[Irony meter is leaning into the red zone.]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.