Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  13:17:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
I failed to take Snake to task because I didn't read much of the thread. I only addressed your behavior because you are a representative of this site. I understood what you were saying, and you may have even been correct in what you were saying, but Snake didn't, and you blew that off and I was attempting to give you a friendly nudge and tell you what it looked like from an observer. If that was all wrong, I apologize. It's just a discussion forum, no big sweat either way.

I've denigrated no one that I know of in this thread. I'm sure I have in others, but we are all human, and I try to apologize or explain myself when I've been rude, or even when it seems that I've been rude.

Kil and Boron are asking for medical proof of what I'm saying as though I've made some medical claim. I have not. I have made an observation based on what I saw. Nothing more. Why you're all insulted by that, I don't understand I'm not the only one that has reached that conclusion. Certainly, it may be a faulty conclusion. Why is that a problem? I have family that believes in some things that I don't agree with. I don't think they're stupid. Do you? Are you that arrogant? They're not stupid. If they are, it's irrelevant. If they are, there's not much anyone can do about it.

I'm only saying about them what I say about myself. We all have angry beliefs. We all have feelings that we're not worthy. Or at least it's been my observation that we do. Religion just makes those kinds of beliefs sacred. That's what makes it dangerous.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  13:19:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
quote:
[ "Finally an inkling that someone begins to understand," was premature,

No. What I thought you were beginning to understand was my concept of beliefs and self-worth. Guess not.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  13:21:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
quote:
I understood those sentences.
quote:
Except one was a question, but I won't be a stickler for details.<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">

Questions don't come in the form of sentences?

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 04/28/2006 13:22:15
Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  13:45:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Here's a letter I just wrote to Newsweek regarding the piece:
quote:
To the Editors:

I found Rabbi Gellman's recent piece, "Trying to Understand Angry Atheists," to be rather disingenuous. He argues that while he does not know "many religious folk who wake up thinking of new ways to aggravate atheists," there are "many people who do not believe in God seem to find the religion of their neighbors terribly offensive or oppressive, particularly if the folks next door are evangelical Christians." Really? I doubt Gellman can cite actual data supporting the notion that atheists are unusually angry towards Christians. Indeed, it's not hard to imagine that Gellman's impression is based largely on anecdotal evidence culled from letters sent from an often vocal minority.

Moreover, Gellman seems to be amazingly ignorant of the sentiment expressed by pundits (and even politicians) from the far-right towards atheists. Indeed, in just a few weeks the wildly popular Ann Coulter will release a new book entitled _Godless_ which, among other things, "smears" liberals by arguing that they are, for all intents and purposes, well, godless. It is not difficult to imagine that Coulter and people of her ilk often wake up thinking up ways to "aggravate atheists." Indeed, the religious right frequently blames much of society's ills on godlessness.

Of course, Gellman tries to blunt his remarks by saying that he "doesn't mean" to generalize his observation of atheist anger to all atheists, but he does so nevertheless. For Gellman, atheists are never so for sound, logical reasons, or after much thought and contemplation. Instead, Gellman sees it as stemming from "uncomfortable personal histories" or from the fact that for the hedonistically-inclined, "religion must remain an audacious, daring and, yes, uncomfortable assault on our desires to do what we want when we want to do it." For Gellman, atheists are weak-willed people in need of therapy.

In contrast, Gellman argues that religious people have discipline, and that it is only through religion that we can "overcome racism and materialism, selfishness and arrogance and the sinful oppression of the most vulnerable and the most innocent among us." Yet atheists make up only the smallest segment of society. Is it really rational to imagine that the many problems in this country-- along with all of its "selfishness and arrogance"-- come from such a small group?

Sadly, such sentiments are not unique to Gellman. Polls consistantly show that people are far less likely to vote for an atheist than for most other groups imaginable. And the aforementioned Coulter is but one example of numerous right-wing pundits seek to (dare I say angrily?) stereotype non-Judeo-Christians (atheists included) in the most unflattering of ways.

Yes, some atheists are angry. But given the general sentiment the vast majority of Americans-- particularly the religious right-- have towards atheists (and we can now clearly include Gellman among them), it's not surprising to see why.
And yes, you'll see some information in the letter that I clearly got from SFN but, for a variety of reasons, didn't credit. So let me do so here!

Good letter Cune. Hope it gets published.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  13:47:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgo

I failed to take Snake to task because I didn't read much of the thread. I only addressed your behavior because you are a representative of this site. I understood what you were saying, and you may have even been correct in what you were saying, but Snake didn't, and you blew that off and I was attempting to give you a friendly nudge and tell you what it looked like from an observer. If that was all wrong, I apologize.
Thank you, but I was talking about incidents after that one in which Snake made it abundantly clear that she's the smart one, and that other SFN members are less intelligent.
quote:
I've denigrated no one that I know of in this thread.
As I said, your "those who read and understand English" appears to be nothing more than a fancy way you have of saying that others are stupid.
quote:
I'm sure I have in others, but we are all human, and I try to apologize or explain myself when I've been rude, or even when it seems that I've been rude.
So noted.
quote:
Kil and Boron are asking for medical proof of what I'm saying as though I've made some medical claim. I have not. I have made an observation based on what I saw. Nothing more.
In this thread, I believe that's what they wanted to hear, at least partially.
quote:
Why you're all insulted by that...
Why you're so quick to generalize, I don't understand.
quote:
...I don't understand I'm not the only one that has reached that conclusion. Certainly, it may be a faulty conclusion. Why is that a problem? I have family that believes in some things that I don't agree with. I don't think they're stupid. Do you? Are you that arrogant? They're not stupid. If they are, it's irrelevant. If they are, there's not much anyone can do about it.
I think you're missing the point all over the place.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  14:30:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by dv82matt

quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Here's a letter I just wrote to Newsweek regarding the piece:

<quote snipped>

And yes, you'll see some information in the letter that I clearly got from SFN but, for a variety of reasons, didn't credit. So let me do so here!

Good letter Cune. Hope it gets published.

I agree.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  15:11:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
quote:
I think you're missing the point all over the place.

Always everyone else that's stupid, isn't it?

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 04/28/2006 15:13:58
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  15:13:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
quote:
Thank you, but I was talking about incidents after that one in which Snake made it abundantly clear that she's the smart one, and that other SFN members are less intelligent.<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">

I don't read every post in every thread. I didn't follow it. Don't think it's my job to correct everyone in every thread anyway. It's your job to misinterpret what people are saying and to tell them they're morons.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 04/28/2006 15:13:39
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  15:23:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
I have no anger towards the religious, except when they:

Come to my door and tell me that if I don't worship their imaginary sky-daddy I will suffer eternal torment.

Fail to pay taxes for the public services their gathering places consume.

Take money from the government and use it to prostelytize.

Attempt to legislate their "morals" on to the rest of us.

Tell me I should not be considered a citizen.

Lie about the religious influence on the founding of America as a justification for attempting to bastardize the judicial system.

Attempt to lower the general intelligence level of the population by replacing science with mythology.

Start and support wars because the armageddon is a good thing.

Show an inordinate interest in who's doing what to whom in the bedroom.

Spend tax money on monuments and displays promoting their particular fantasy on public property.

Write ignorant articles in major news magazines displaying their theist bigotry.

Other than that, I have no problem with religious people.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  17:17:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

Always everyone else that's stupid, isn't it?
Why are you calling me an idiot, Gorgo?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  17:19:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

It's your job to misinterpret what people are saying and to tell them they're morons.
What did I do to you, personally, Gorgo, which has prompted you to repeatedly call me stupid?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  17:49:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
quote:
Kil and Boron are asking for medical proof of what I'm saying as though I've made some medical claim. I have not. I have made an observation based on what I saw. Nothing more.
quote:
In this thread, I believe that's what they wanted to hear, at least partially.

We'll evidently never know for sure what they were trying to say. Nor unfortunately, will we understand what you're saying.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 04/28/2006 17:51:08
Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  18:07:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message
quote:
We'll evidently never know for sure what they were trying to say. Nor unfortunately, will we understand what you're saying.

Lighten up a bit would you Gorgo. I understand where you're coming from, I have a tendency to get a bit hot under the collar at times as well. But your coming across as pretty insulting here.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  18:13:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Heh. I'm hot under the collar? I'm not the one arrogantly asking for medical proof or telling people that I'm attacking everyone. Tell them to lighten up. I just made an observation without any claims to any great scientific knowledge, and I'm supposed to lighten up? What is your problem? You lighten up. What is so serious to you?

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  18:23:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

Nor unfortunately, will we understand what you're saying.
What is so important to you that you feel the need to call me a moron, Gorgo?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds.