Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2006 :  03:49:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Last time I checked there was oceans of water under the crust of the earth. I would suggest you might look there for some of it.

Sorry V, it won't work. Go back to the Leipzig essay and examine his first calculation. If all that much water was stored in the aquifers, you could forget about mining and drilling for oil.

And remember, we have yet to satisfactorly establish the existence of God. Is he is, or is he ain't? Don't know 'cause he ain't talkin'. It is we mere mortals who carry on his conversation, and anyone who takes what we say on faith is a prime sucker for any grift that comes down the pike.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2006 :  04:40:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by verlch

Last time I checked there was oceans of water under the crust of the earth. I would suggest you might look there for some of it.

http://www.biblediscoveries.com/flood1.html

Geeze man, did you even bother to read your own link? It says nothing of the sort. It says the breakup of the crust causes the oceans to boil and condense as rain, and also causes tsunamis. And the world was only a gently sloping place before the flood without high elevations so less water was needed. His evidence? Pure speculation. What a bunch of .

And Noah was supposed to be floating about in all of this?

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2006 :  10:12:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by leoofno

How do you regulars manage to do this day-in and day-out?
Benign neglect of family, friends, housework, etc.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2006 :  10:32:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:

Try neglecting sleep, work, and girlfriend.
Though, she makes herself hard to neglect sometimes...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2006 :  10:56:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

I'm not entirely comfortable with the atmosphere part of it, either. Not any more, anyway.

But wouldn't there be some loss, albeit it from the thinned-out top of it? 10 cubits above the top of Everest is a long way up. And result in a somewhat thinner atmosphere when the water receded? Not being all that familiar with the atmospheric sciences (I watch the weather prognosticator whose desk is closest to the window), I'm not sure, but it seems to me that the loss would be noticeable if not disastrous. The thunder head would have to go up the height of Everest (27,000 ft., if memory serves) plus it's 'normal' 16 km.

The atmosphere stays as thick as it is because the molecules in the air doesn't have speed enough to "break orbit". For an object to break free of Earth's gravity it has to have a speed higher than escape velosity.

In any gas, the molecules have an average speed depending on temperature. In gasses, temperature is another measure for kinetic energy, which is the molecule's speed.
If you compare hyrdogen and oxygen, a hydrogen molecule needs to have a higher speed than the oxygen to have the same kinetic energy. In the upper atmosphere, the average speed of the hydrogen is higher than the escape velosity, while oxygen is too slow. The result being that hydrogen (and helium) escapes, while oxygen stays.

The difference in gravitation (and consequently: escape velocity) is minimal at 10km altitude. In fact according to wikipedia, the escape velosity goes down a third at 9000km altitude.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2006 :  10:56:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

quote:

Hey, we can stop any time!

(slapping arm) Now where's that VEIN?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2006 :  12:10:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

quote:

quote:

Hey, we can stop any time!

Indeed. I stopped once, just to prove to myself I could stop, if I really wanted to.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2006 :  12:25:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

quote:

I'm not entirely comfortable with the atmosphere part of it, either. Not any more, anyway.

But wouldn't there be some loss, albeit it from the thinned-out top of it? 10 cubits above the top of Everest is a long way up. And result in a somewhat thinner atmosphere when the water receded? Not being all that familiar with the atmospheric sciences (I watch the weather prognosticator whose desk is closest to the window), I'm not sure, but it seems to me that the loss would be noticeable if not disastrous. The thunder head would have to go up the height of Everest (27,000 ft., if memory serves) plus it's 'normal' 16 km.

The atmosphere stays as thick as it is because the molecules in the air doesn't have speed enough to "break orbit". For an object to break free of Earth's gravity it has to have a speed higher than escape velosity.

In any gas, the molecules have an average speed depending on temperature. In gasses, temperature is another measure for kinetic energy, which is the molecule's speed.
If you compare hyrdogen and oxygen, a hydrogen molecule needs to have a higher speed than the oxygen to have the same kinetic energy. In the upper atmosphere, the average speed of the hydrogen is higher than the escape velosity, while oxygen is too slow. The result being that hydrogen (and helium) escapes, while oxygen stays.

The difference in gravitation (and consequently: escape velocity) is minimal at 10km altitude. In fact according to wikipedia, the escape velosity goes down a third at 9000km altitude.

That's interesting, Doc, and something I don't know much about.

Another question, then: Leipzig said to the effect that the gasses would 'boil off,' rather than escape. Is this concievable?

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2006 :  19:25:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
quote:

Now add more water to the altitude of 10 cubits above the summit of Everest, then explain where that water went after the Flood. It doesn't seem to be around today....

As for fresh water, did you ever hear of 'evaporation' and 'condensation?'

Where all the water went to after the flood is a fair question. God can do anything is simply evasive, requiring only one thing from the irrational masses, faith. Religious faith, the greatest danger to a civil, thinking society.

Bill scott and verlch, why do I have a sudden craving for peas?

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  14:30:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
That's interesting, Doc, and something I don't know much about.

Well... It's not exactly common knowledge but one should be able to deduce this from junior(?) college physics and chemistry class. I did found this out from crunching books while preparing for a science-fiction role-playing game. Unlike space-operas like Star Wars, the AD2300 game is a very hard core science game.

It explains the atmospheric contents of planets and moons in the solar system: why Jupiter and Saturn are mostly hydrogen, while Saturn's moon Titan has methane and very small amounts of hydrogen even though both formed at the same place and time.
quote:

Another question, then: Leipzig said to the effect that the gasses would 'boil off,' rather than escape. Is this concievable?

No...

If you expose water to vaccuum, it would 'boil off', but merely raising the sea-level would not to my knowledge affect the atmosphere in such manner. The atmosphere would thin out a bit, since the earth's radius would increase. The increased radius means a slightly larger surface area, and thus slightly less altitude to the atmosphere/space boundary. This would mean a certain drop in air pressure. But hardly enough to make much of a difference.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  00:22:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Never went to college, junior or otherwise, but I think I'm starting to get the idea....... I need to do some reading up on this.

Thanks doc.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  15:29:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
The whole point on atmosphere loss is moot anyway, according to Glenn Morton. Whilst looking around for more information, I happenerd across this little gem:
quote:
Carbon Dioxide and the Flood

By Glenn R. Morton

Copyright 1998 G.R. Morton

This may be freely distributed so long as no monetary charges and no alterations to the text are made.

http://home.entouch.net/dmd/co2.htm

Not only do volcanoes produce lots of sulfuric acid, they produce more CO2. I found this:

"Using the Kilauea eruption as a model, Terrence M. Gerlach of Sandia National Laboratory in Albuquerque estimated that the Deccan Traps injected up to 30 trillion tons of carbon dioxide, six trillion tons of sulfur and 60 billion tons of halogens (reactive elements such as chlorine and fluorine) into the lower atmosphere over a few hundred years." ~ Vincent E. Courtillot, "A Volcanic Eruption," Scientific American, October, 1990, p. 85-92, p. 89

Now, the Deccan traps contain 8.2 x 106 cubic kilometers so the output from the Deccan traps is:

30 x 1012 tons/8.2 x 106 cubic kilometers = 3.658 megatons (Mt) / cubic kilometer of basalt.

There are huge lava flows on earth, called volcanic traps, which must have occurred during the flood year because they lie on top of supposed flood deposited sedimentary rock and beneath flood deposited sedimentary rock. So if the geology requires that they be extruded during the flood, how much sulfuric acid must come with them? Here are some of the volumes of rock extruded to the earth's surface during such episodes:

Volcanics flood basalt flows (Coffin and Eldholm).

DATE VOLUME

Ontong Java/Nauru 121-124 my 38-55 x 106 km3

Kerguelen Plateau/ Broken Ridge 114-109.5 my 15-25 x 106 km3

North Atlantic 57.5-54.5 my 6.6 x 106 km3

Deccan Traps 65-69 my 8.2 x 106 km3

Columbia River 6-17.5 my 1.74 x 105 km3

Ethiopian Traps 7.5 x 105 km3 before erosion

Siberian Traps 249-216 my 2.3 x 106 km3

Central Atlantic Magmatic Prov. (CAMP) 200 my 2 x 106 km3

(estimated from the data of Mohr and Zanettin, 1988, p. 63; Siberian Traps from Reichow et al, Science 296(2002), p. 1849 CAMP from Marzoli et al, Science 284(1999), p. 618).

Other Basalt flows Volcanics flood basalt flows (Hess, 1989)

DATE Area

Snake River Plain 16 my .5 x 105 km2

Parana Plateau Brazil 119-149my 12 x 105 km2

Karoo Basalts 166-206 my >1.4 x 105 km2

Assuming a 1 kilometer thickness for the second list of traps this adds up to approximately 98 x 106 cubic kilometers.

So at 3.6 megatons/km3 x 98 x 106 cubic kilometers of basalt = 3.5 x 1014 tons of CO2.

Given that there are 1016 kg/ton this means that during the one year flood, 3.47 x 10^17 kg of CO2 would be released. According to my CRC the mass of the atmosphere is 5.2 x 10^21 g or 5.2 x 10^18 kg. Thus the amount of CO2 released ONLY by the volcanic traps during the YEC global flood, is equal to 6.6% of the entire atmosphere.

How does this relate to the present atmosphere? Currently we are approaching 400 parts per million (ppm) CO2 in the atmosphere, yet the YEC scenario would produce an atmosphere that had AS A MINIMUM a CO2 level of 58615 parts per million. Scientists are worried about a 600 ppm CO2 world next century, the YEC post flood world would create such a hot climate that all life would be destroyed. Yet amazingly, Creationists like Austin, Baumgardner, Wise, Snelling, Vardiman, Humphreys and Oard think that the post flood world would be glacially cold. (See "Austin et al, Catastrophic Plate Tectonics" 3rd ICC 1994, p. 615 and Michael Oard, A rapid Post Flood Ice Age," CRSQ 16(1979):29-37; Oard, An Ice age Caused by the Genesis Flood, 1990 ICR).

Of course, CO2 is a strong greenhouse gas and young-earth creationists have not given the thought to this issue that they should have. Their global flood would choke Noah on sulfuric acid and then choke him again on the CO2, and with an atmosphere so clogged with CO2, Noah would burn up. Venus has an atmosphere with lots of CO2 and the temperature there is several hundred degrees C.! But somehow, YECs want us to believe that the postflood, CO2 rich atmosphere would be very cold. Is there any scientific fact that will move them to reconsider their views?

Noah's ride seems rougher'n ever......

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  16:48:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Great find, Filthy!
quote:
There are huge lava flows on earth, called volcanic traps, which must have occurred during the flood year because they lie on top of supposed flood deposited sedimentary rock and beneath flood deposited sedimentary rock. So if the geology requires that they be extruded during the flood, how much sulfuric acid must come with them?
Also: Since these lavas were presumably extruded during the Flood, they must have been extruded underwater. Then why aren't they all "pillow lavas"?

From Wikipedia:
quote:
Pillow lava is the rock type typically formed when lava emerges from an underwater volcanic vent or a lava flow enters the ocean. The viscous lava gains a solid crust immediately upon contact with the water, and this crust cracks and oozes additional large blobs or "pillows" as more lava emerges from the advancing flow. Since the majority of Earth's surface is covered by water, and most volcanoes are situated near or under it, pillow lava is actually very common.

Pillow lava

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  17:03:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
I enjoy discussing this stuff as much as the next, but none of this matters to the faithful. God can do all of this and not leave a single trace. The question then becomes, why would a god do all of this and not leave a trace?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  21:01:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Sorry to change the subject, but...

Since Morton was a young-Earth creationist, it strikes me as odd that he'd write this:
quote:
Originally written by Morton

Is there any scientific fact that will move them to reconsider their views?
He seems to be implying here that it wasn't scientific facts which led to his own "conversion." If true, then he's basically agreeing that no amount of logic or science is going to change the mind of a person who has reached a conclusion without using logic and science. Shouldn't Morton be putting his limited time and effort into spreading whatever it was that led to his reconsideration of his one-time views, since he's got at least some evidence that whatever that was works?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds.