Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Politics
 Impeach that vile, little blackguard NOW!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Sago

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2006 :  18:55:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Sago a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

I am admittedly new here, but I'd like to know if anyone else has ever thought that this childish cartoon with the ladder and all that takes up a hell of a lot of valuable scrolling time contributes anything at all to the discussion of the moment?

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2006 :  19:44:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sago
I am admittedly new here, but I'd like to know if anyone else has ever thought that this childish cartoon with the ladder and all that takes up a hell of a lot of valuable scrolling time contributes anything at all to the discussion of the moment?
filthy changes the material linked in his sig regularly, and it is never uninteresting. It's supposed to be separate from the topic at hand. It's an opportunity for you to follow his links and perhaps learn something new. I, for one, actually appreciate his efforts.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 08/26/2006 19:52:08
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2006 :  20:50:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

quote:
filthy changes the material linked in his sig regularly, and it is never uninteresting. It's supposed to be separate from the topic at hand. It's an opportunity for you to follow his links and perhaps learn something new. I, for one, actually appreciate his efforts.

I for two actually appreciate his efforts. Although some of his signature links are villians that I do not want to know any more about, I have found others (including Richard Scarry) very interesting. For example nearly everyone has heard of typhoid Mary, but thanks to Filthy, I now know who she was.

As for your judgement of Filthy's intelligence etc - you are dead wrong. He is the most erudite Redneck I have ever encountered. Show me someone who knows more about paleontolgy than Filthy and I'll show you a paleontologist. Likewise for Herpetology.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Sago

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  16:59:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Sago a Private Message
quote:

The sig comment would not have been bothered with if the actual post had not been so crudely inane. You choose to comment only on the sig issue

Go to Top of Page

Sago

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  17:10:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Sago a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost_Skeptic

I for two actually appreciate his efforts. Although some of his signature links are villians that I do not want to know any more about, I have found others (including Richard Scarry) very interesting. For example nearly everyone has heard of typhoid Mary, but thanks to Filthy, I now know who she was.

As for your judgement of Filthy's intelligence etc - you are dead wrong. He is the most erudite Redneck I have ever encountered. Show me someone who knows more about paleontolgy than Filthy and I'll show you a paleontologist. Likewise for Herpetology.

Interesting comments. I just wish you had a better example of what you learned from him

However you are right, I have based my judgement purely on the amount of filth (I'm no prude btw, nor personally offended) in the very first post I happened to read in this forum.

He may very well be a savant in some way, idiot or not, but he sure doesn't have the ability to show it in writing about politics....

and I'm still surprised that since I've now received 3 responses to my "critique" of this post, not one has actually addressed the issue, just made excuses for it....as in....I'd defend to the death any jerks right to be as obscene publicly as they wish.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  17:15:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
The sig comment would not have been bothered with if the actual post had not been so crudely inane. You choose to comment only on the sig issue

The article may have been crude, but it wasn't inane.

And I responded to your criticism of filthy's sig because you apparently thought it was important enough to devote a post to, so it seemed like something you wanted addressed. If you want my opinion on the original article as well, fine. I think it's dead on target, the language doesn't offend me in the slightest, and I do not share your opinion that anyone who uses curse words can't have anything important to say.

I also addressed the language issue when you carried it over into another thread, but you chose not to respond there. [shrug]

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

Edited by - H. Humbert on 08/28/2006 17:15:58
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  21:10:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

He may very well be a savant in some way, idiot or not, but he sure doesn't have the ability to show it in writing about politics....
Who are you talking about, filthy or John Avarosis?
quote:
and I'm still surprised that since I've now received 3 responses to my "critique" of this post, not one has actually addressed the issue, just made excuses for it....as in....I'd defend to the death any jerks right to be as obscene publicly as they wish.
The "issue" appears to be that you don't like bad language. What is there to address?

Seriously. Would I like it if fewer of our members used (or quoted, as in this case) bad language? Sure, but 99% of us are adults and are capable of reading past the obscenities to get to the message.

It's actually quite ironic that you'd criticize people for failing to address the "issue" when you failed to address the issue in the OP, and instead focused on the language used to deliver the message.

Besides, filthy and the guy he quotes aren't nearly half as bad as the guy who sent us this Fan Mail.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  22:23:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Dave_W said:
quote:
Who are you talking about, filthy or John Avarosis?

From what I can tell, he seems to think they are the same person, or something.

And he doesn't really seem to have a coherent point, just some inane complaining about language he doesn't like.

Well, should I register a complaint about Sago's self righteous and judgemental attitude?

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  23:45:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by filthy

I am in complete agreement with John Avarosis of AmericaBlog....
quote:
Someone give George Bush a God damn fucking ............

I've had it with this idiot.

We've got the president of the fucking ............

You God damn stupid fuck..........

Do you fucking believe in anything other than your absolute power to do whatever the fuck ......

......your idiotic reign of terror.

they're nothing more than crap. .....

Well boo-fucking-hoo.

..... you stupid stupid man.

........ the king of the fucking..

Osama bin Laden is a danger to be sure. But the greatest threat to our democracy is from George Bush and his genuflecting Republicans.

I can't add to that. 'Nuff said!

Glad to see what you are about, so eloquently, but I figured that someone who momentarily escaped from the hood to use the PC in the library to use his favorite political exclamation so many times in a few pitiful sentences, deserves my second post.

In its full context as written, what you quoted was quite eloquent. More effective and comprehensible than your awkward, snide comment, by far.

And do you mean that someone who loathes Bush is likely to be a poor person who only can get onto the Internet in a public library, and is thus an unreliable subhuman? So you're not just an idiot, after all, but also an elitist?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  00:35:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:

Interesting comments. I just wish you had a better example of what you learned from him ...

Stick around and see.
Go to Top of Page

Sago

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  18:39:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Sago a Private Message
quote:

The article may have been crude, but it wasn't inane.

Yes it was.

quote:
And I responded to your criticism of filthy's sig because you apparently thought it was important enough to devote a post to, so it seemed like something you wanted addressed. If you want my opinion on the original article as well, fine. I think it's dead on target, the language doesn't offend me in the slightest, and I do not share your opinion that anyone who uses curse words can't have anything important to say.

I also addressed the language issue when you carried it over into another thread, but you chose not to respond there. [shrug]

[/quote]

Sorry about not jumping on your bandwagon. Been busy about hurricanes and all that. Somewhat more important than inanities about profanities, I hope you will agree.

If someone in charge of this forum would update it to allow notification of replies to posts it might speed things up a bit. As far as I can see the only opition is for PMs, and so far all I've had is another nigger solicitation from Nigeria (This is a test, beware!)
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  18:46:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
As far as I can see the only opition is for PMs, and so far all I've had is another nigger solicitation from Nigeria (This is a test, beware!)

Ah, a racist. Lovely.

I think you've just lost any right to accuse anyone of crudeness.

Edited by - H. Humbert on 08/29/2006 18:47:24
Go to Top of Page

Sago

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  18:48:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Sago a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMoonerIn its full context as written, what you quoted was quite eloquent. More effective and comprehensible than your awkward, snide comment, by far.

And do you mean that someone who loathes Bush is likely to be a poor person who only can get onto the Internet in a public library, and is thus an unreliable subhuman? So you're not just an idiot, after all, but also an elitist?

Are you serious? This is your response to my comment that a filthy comment is not to be taken seriously because the writer (or adoptee of same) is so screwed up in emotion that there is no logic left to consider?

It matters nothing to me, as the reader, who or what that person was commenting on because the first two Fs told me that it was an insignificant wail in the depths of incoherence.

What is a lot more significant is how many in this forum, who call themselves "skeptics" (as I do myself) think they can get away with defending obsenitity as a form of expression in its own right, worth defending.

OK, I did listen to Lehrer when he was breaking ground in this area, but we are passed that barrier now and supposed tom be back on substance, are we not?

Go to Top of Page

Sago

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  18:52:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Sago a Private Message
quote:

quote:
As far as I can see the only opition is for PMs, and so far all I've had is another nigger solicitation from Nigeria (This is a test, beware!)

Ah, a racist. Lovely.

I think you've just lost any right to accuse anyone of crudeness.

Test it was. You win the booby prize.

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  19:00:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Test it was. You win the booby prize.

Test of what, whether or not anyone would call you on it? Nigger has but one meaning and it's always used in an offensive context.

Did you mean niggardly by any chance, and just screw up in your ignorance? You better cut the coy antics and explain yourself properly, because right now you're only digging yourself in deeper.

Edited by - H. Humbert on 08/29/2006 19:00:59
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.