Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Politics
 Impeach that vile, little blackguard NOW!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Sago

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  19:03:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Sago a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.
It's actually quite ironic that you'd criticize people for failing to address the "issue" when you failed to address the issue in the OP, and instead focused on the language used to deliver the message.

Besides, filthy and the guy he quotes aren't nearly half as bad as the guy who sent us this Fan Mail.

What was the issue in the OP?

I am in complete agreement with John Avarosis of AmericaBlog....

All I said was (paraphrasing of course) that I think that that is nothing more than apoplexic obsenity expression nothing more than blind contempt for an opinion without the slightest attempt at SKEPTICAL analysis.

And what happens......You and friends go equally apoplexic.

This is the OP that you expect me to comment on??

There is nothing in the OP except pure hatred of the most primitive kind.

Are you sure I'm not commenting on the OP?

Go to Top of Page

Sago

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  19:07:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Sago a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

quote:
Originally posted by Sago
Test it was. You win the booby prize.

Test of what, whether or not anyone would call you on it? Nigger has but one meaning and it's always used in an offensive context.

Did you mean niggardly by any chance, and just screw up in your ignorance? You better cut the coy antics and explain yourself properly, because right now you're only digging yourself in deeper.

No, I meant it was obviously a criminal con from the origin of both the con and the nation of the origin of the con. Nigeria.

Get it?

I think we should end this sidetrack. Come up with something original and we will continue. If not; I'll be really magnanimous and say you won the debate.

OK?

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  19:08:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

What is a lot more significant is how many in this forum, who call themselves "skeptics" (as I do myself) think they can get away with defending obsenitity as a form of expression in its own right, worth defending.
There's no accounting for taste, and so what one considers a "form of expression" will be considered by another to be worthless garbage. That is as skeptical as one can get about the merits of "art." Sure, one can analyze a piece as compared to other artists of the same form or period, but if there's anything the 20th century taught me about art, it's that nobody - nobody - has any solid ground upon which to stand and declare "that thing over there isn't art."

You don't like swearing? Fine. I don't like country/western music. But you won't see me going out of my way to write to record companies with complaints.

From another post:
quote:
(This is a test, beware!)
My bet would be that you've discovered some non-offensive meaning of the word, and so think that anyone who takes offense to your use of it is just an ignorant twit, thus helping to preserve your fragile self-esteem.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Sago

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  19:14:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Sago a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

quote:

Interesting comments. I just wish you had a better example of what you learned from him ...

Stick around and see.

I apologize for having been so diverted from reality by these other posts. I may not agree with you, but at least you seem to stick with a defined direction, even though I think the first one I saw seemed to be of the CT variety.

How about getting down to a little basic evaluation of the "facts" that appear to guide our opinions and lives to strongly (this way or the other)?

Regarding the conspiracy to kill civilians, deliberately, and the spin surrounding it, this is an example of only one item, but significant, how reality may or not be what it seems.

I wonder how you see it.

http://www.zombietime.com/fraud/ambulance/

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  19:15:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

And what happens......You and friends go equally apoplexic.
"Equally apoplexic," yet without using any of those nasty words.
quote:
There is nothing in the OP except pure hatred of the most primitive kind.
And that somehow makes it invalid or worthless?
quote:
Are you sure I'm not commenting on the OP?
Yup.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  19:18:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
No, I meant it was obviously a criminal con from the origin of both the con and the nation of the origin of the con. Nigeria.

Get it?
Right, so it was a pathetic attempt at a racist joke, exactly the reason I called you on it.

quote:
I think we should end this sidetrack. Come up with something original and we will continue. If not; I'll be really magnanimous and say you won the debate.

OK?
So you've just been uncovered as a racist jackoff and the closest to an apology you can muster is a false show of magnanimity?

No, I don't think that's quite sufficient. Like I said, you're hypocrisy has lost you any right you had to criticize anyone for crudeness, or really to be taken seriously on any matter. And considering you seem to be bloated with Republican propaganda, I'd say you don't have any right to call yourself a skeptic either.

Go haunt some KKK forum. I'm sure you'll get big guffaws for your witty wordplay there.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 08/29/2006 19:19:20
Go to Top of Page

Sago

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  19:29:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Sago a Private Message
quote:

There's no accounting for taste, and so what one considers a "form of expression" will be considered by another to be worthless garbage. That is as skeptical as one can get about the merits of "art." Sure, one can analyze a piece as compared to other artists of the same form or period, but if there's anything the 20th century taught me about art, it's that nobody - nobody - has any solid ground upon which to stand and declare "that thing over there isn't art."
Sorry, but this sound like New Age garbage. certainly nothing like I would expect in a "skeptic" forum. If that sounds offensive to you, I will take you at your word and assume that you respect my opinion, however few expletives it contains.
quote:
You don't like swearing? Fine. I don't like country/western music. But you won't see me going out of my way to write to record companies with complaints.
Perhaps if a few more people did, not so many would publish gansta garbage to encourage the failures in our society that it was cool to fail. Sounds like you don't like to participate in social issues.
quote:
From another post:
quote:
(This is a test, beware!)
My bet would be that you've discovered some non-offensive meaning of the word, and so think that anyone who takes offense to your use of it is just an ignorant twit, thus helping to preserve your fragile self-esteem.
Around here I hear people call themselves and others nigger all the time. BTW, now do you know I'm not one of them? Do you think my big words label me differently? Shame on you and your profiling!!

It just occurred to me that you showed a principle of indignation at language, even though it was clearly deliberately staged concerning a criminal spam reference from Nigeria as the excuse......and you (and one or two others) still flipped out. But calling someone else an F'ing whatever 20 times in a pitiful few sentences is literature to you?

Look; I'd like to be friendly opponents if not more, but my purpose here these days is to shake your cage, and you do have a cage, invisible as it may seem.

[Edited to fix quoting problems - Dave W.]
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  19:31:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

The word "nigger" only means "criminal" in the sense that racists view black people as predominantly criminals. "Nigger" and "Nigeria" do not share an etymology, especially since the river Niger isn't a blackwater river.

So yeah, I "get it."

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  19:34:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

...but my purpose here these days is to shake your cage, and you do have a cage...
Ah, okay, you're an admitted troll.

Got it. Will treat you accordingly.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Sago

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  19:39:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Sago a Private Message
quote:

quote:

The word "nigger" only means "criminal" in the sense that racists view black people as predominantly criminals. "Nigger" and "Nigeria" do not share an etymology, especially since the river Niger isn't a blackwater river.

So yeah, I "get it."

First, an aside, I wasn't able to edit my previous post for some reason. Left it a bit disjointed with the quotes.

Nigger don't mean criminal around here. Basically it means Black, Home Boy, Buddy, You Cool Guy; unless spoken by a Cracker when it means Boy.

Of course the other other side of the coin is that Cracker means "this my hood Cracker, you ain't no Nigger".

See what I mean?

It's all delicate social interaction, meaning, and body language too.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  19:46:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Nigger don't mean criminal around here. Basically it means Black, Home Boy, Buddy, You Cool Guy; unless spoken by a Cracker when it means Boy.
No, it never means that. The slang word nigga can mean that when used in certain contexts, but never the word nigger, although I wouldn't expect an ignorant ass who was simply attempting to belatedly excuse his racism to pick up on such a distinction. Nor would any sane person use either word in a forum full of strangers.

Like I said, no one's buying it and you're only digging yourself in deeper.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  20:29:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Can someone please fix the quoting hierachy that is off in some of the posts in this thread?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  22:14:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

"Around here," without context, means the SFN or the whole Internet. In neither place does "nigger" mean what you say it means.
quote:
See what I mean?
Yes, you are making the rash generalization that the whole world acts just like your neighborhood.
quote:
It's all delicate social interaction, meaning, and body language too.
Yeah, I can see all your body language via your webcam. Thanks for setting that up, it helps a lot.

Oh, and then there was this bit from a previous post:
quote:
Around here I hear people call themselves and others nigger all the time. BTW, now do you know I'm not one of them? Do you think my big words label me differently? Shame on you and your profiling!!
Shame on me? You're the one who's making all sorts of assumptions. I don't give a hoot whether you are "one of them" or not, since I have no clue as to what you mean by "one of them." What, precisely, do you mean by "one of them?" Due to the structure of your sentences, the referent of the pronoun isn't clear.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  00:22:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
quote:

Interesting comments. I just wish you had a better example of what you learned from him

Lesbian Whiptail Lizards
The evolution of the lung
Early Cetids
Therapsids
Size limits for wooden ships
and on an on.

I have always enjoyed Filthy's colourful posts (he can be quite colourful with our without profanity.)

As for the rage - If my country was being run by an anti-science, combat avoiding hypocrit who starts war's based on outright lies, claims to be a "conservative" while running huge defits etc., I would be more than a little pissed off.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  01:53:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Ghost_Skeptic opined:
quote:
As for the rage - If my country was being run by an anti-science, combat avoiding hypocrit who starts war's based on outright lies, claims to be a "conservative" while running huge defits etc., I would be more than a little pissed off.

Perhaps we could work something out along those lines. Would Canada take George W. Bush as a "landed immigrant"? Please?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds.