Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  12:47:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
PZ Myers is not impressed:
Wells: “Darwinism is Doomed” because we keep making progress
quote:
There are days when I simply cannot believe how dishonest the scoundrels at the Discovery Institute can be. This is one of them. I just read an essay by Jonathan Wells that is an appalling piece of anti-scientific propaganda, an extremely squirrely twisting of some science news. It's called "Why Darwinism is doomed", and trust me, if you read it, your opinion of Wells will drop another notch. And here you thought it was already in the gutter!

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  12:50:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

I've lost my link, so would someone put up "The Wedge?" It will explain a great deal.
Here you go:

http://www.seattleweekly.com/news/0605/discovery-wedge.php

Also:
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2006/02/the_true_history_of_the_wedge.php

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Edited by - Starman on 09/27/2006 12:52:45
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  14:15:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Got it. Thanks, Star..

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  15:18:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman
Here you go:

http://www.seattleweekly.com/news/0605/discovery-wedge.php

Also:
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2006/02/the_true_history_of_the_wedge.php

quote:

Got it. Thanks, Star..

You should also check out wikipedia's entry.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  16:04:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by furshur

quote:
The truth is Darwinism is not a scientific theory, but a materialistic creation myth masquerading as science. It is first and foremost a weapon against religion – especially traditional Christianity.

Geez, Jonny we're a little paranoid, aren't we?

Ok, maybe someone should post the link to Judge Jones' Dover ruling on ID on that site?

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  23:33:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by the_ignored

Ok, maybe someone should post the link to Judge Jones' Dover ruling on ID on that site?
B-b-but Judge Jones is just one of those atheist leftist pinko activist judges set on persecuting good christians to further the gay agenda....

Edit: Fixed ambiguity.

-- Terry Jones
Edited by - Starman on 09/28/2006 02:26:57
Go to Top of Page

wombatwal

Australia
20 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  18:08:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send wombatwal a Private Message
quote:
"So after 150 years, Darwinists are still looking for evidence – any evidence, no matter how skimpy – to justify their speculations. The latest hype over the "brain evolution gene" unwittingly reveals just how underwhelming the evidence for their view really is.

The truth is Darwinism is not a scientific theory, but a materialistic creation myth masquerading as science. It is first and foremost a weapon against religion – especially traditional Christianity. Evidence is brought in afterwards, as window dressing."

Telling lies for God I would say.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  18:14:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by wombatwal

quote:
"So after 150 years, Darwinists are still looking for evidence – any evidence, no matter how skimpy – to justify their speculations. The latest hype over the "brain evolution gene" unwittingly reveals just how underwhelming the evidence for their view really is.

The truth is Darwinism is not a scientific theory, but a materialistic creation myth masquerading as science. It is first and foremost a weapon against religion – especially traditional Christianity. Evidence is brought in afterwards, as window dressing."

Oh boy, the plot thins.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  18:18:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by wombatwal

Yup, exactly. There's good money in it to boot. Wells might be a liar, but he won't be poor any time soon.

And welcome to the SFN, wombatwal.

Randy said:
quote:
Oh boy, the plot thins.
Psst. He was quoting from Wells' article.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 09/28/2006 18:27:16
Go to Top of Page

wombatwal

Australia
20 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  19:26:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send wombatwal a Private Message
Thanks for the welcome Humbert
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  19:52:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message

quote:
Randy said:
quote:
Oh boy, the plot thins.
Psst. He was quoting from Wells' article.

Oh, that's very different. Never mind.

Welcome to SFN wombatwal!

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

wombatwal

Australia
20 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  20:05:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send wombatwal a Private Message
Thanks Randy
My quoting was not clear unfortunately.
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  00:22:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Carl Zimmer on the research the Wells lies about.
Let Evolution Be Your Guide
quote:
A functionally unimportant stretch of DNA will acquire random mutations over millions of years. But if a segment of DNA has an important function, most mutations will be harmful. So the scientists compared non-coding DNA from chimpanzees, mice, and rat, for segments of DNA showed significant signs of negative selection. They identified 35,000 segments, all of which have resisted acquiring mutations for hundreds of millions of years.
Lo and behold, they discovered that these DNA regions encoded genes that produce RNA, which turns out to do interesting things in the brain.
These scientists did not find a new gene and then try to make up a story to fit the theory of evolution. Evolution guided them to the genes.
Far from showing that "Darwinism is doomed," the new research shows just how vital evolution is to understanding how the human genome works.

-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  02:48:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
wombat, if you look up at the little tool bar above, you will see a quotation mark: ". Click on that and you will get a pair of quotes in your text: [quote}[/quote}. Write what you will between them, and you will get this, or something similiar:
quote:
Jonathon Wells is a sorry sack of shit, and I wish he'd drag his lying ass in here to discuss it with us!

Makes quoting easy....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

wombatwal

Australia
20 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  04:06:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send wombatwal a Private Message
quote:

wombat, if you look up at the little tool bar above, you will see a quotation mark: ". Click on that and you will get a pair of quotes in your text: [quote}[/quote}. Write what you will between them, and you will get this, or something similiar:
quote:
Jonathon Wells is a sorry sack of shit, and I wish he'd drag his lying ass in here to discuss it with us!

Makes quoting easy....

Thanks filthy, found it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.