Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  15:36:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
quote:
The point of this thread has nothing at all to do with any alleged crimes Hagard may have committed.

You might want to remove the link about Haggard, then.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  17:13:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Okay, sorry, people.

I think was I who inadvertently set off this firestorm, when I made an OT comment about being an "anti-straight straight" person. Then I proceeded to dig a deeper hole yet, by commenting that I should go to Hell for being straight. I had not predicted the result of my unwise words.

I want to now try to mend fences and make peace. Therefore, I am correcting my previous statements.

I indeed am not really ashamed of being straight. Nor do I think that I, or any other straight person, should be condemned to the fiery Pit for our sexual orientation.

In fact, let me speak for both myself and all straights:

We're great, we're Straight -- try to become acclimated to it!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/05/2006 17:17:12
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  17:28:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgo

quote:
The point of this thread has nothing at all to do with any alleged crimes Hagard may have committed.
You might want to remove the link about Haggard, then.
The link about Haggard doesn't have anything to do with any alleged crimes that anyone may have committed, either, so why remove it?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  19:16:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
The allegation that Dude has convicted Haggard of, was that he had sex with a male prostitute and took drugs. According to Dude, you can't assume anyone committed a crime unless he was convicted by a court.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  20:01:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

The allegation that Dude has convicted Haggard of, was that he had sex with a male prostitute and took drugs. According to Dude, you can't assume anyone committed a crime unless he was convicted by a court.
So far as I know, it's solicitation and possession which are crimes. Consenual sex and taking drugs are not crimes (except under certain circumstances, like statutory rape and driving while intoxicated), so I don't see where Dude assumed Haggard committed any crime. If the male prostitute was tossing Haggard a freebie, then there was no solicitation (do we even know if money changed hands?). And Haggard already admitted to possessing meth, so whether he took it or not is largely irrelevant to the question of whether a drug crime was committed (one was).

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  20:39:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Possession and use of illegal drugs and paying a prostitute for sex are violations of laws. He has admitted to the part about the drugs. It is a crime to buy drugs.

Do we know if money changed hands? That's the point. Dude says that we can't know if a crime occurred unless a court has convicted someone of it.

The accusation was that he paid for sex and possessed and used drugs. Dude does not know if a homosexual act occurred (which by the way does not make one a homosexual) unless the accusations are true. We cannot know if the accusations are true unless a court of law says so, according to Dude's law.

quote:
Mike Jones claims the prominent pastor paid him for sex over a three-year period. Haggard only admitted to receiving a massage from the Denver man, in an interview Friday with CNN affiliate KUSA.

The pastor also admitted that he had bought methamphetamine, but said he did not use the drug and threw it away.

None of this is all that complicated, and not funny or clever enough for me to work this hard to explain it so either like it or don't, that's the end of this class on the subject.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  22:18:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
You're right, Gorgo, it's not that complicated...
quote:

The accusation was that he paid for sex and possessed and used drugs.
Just quote Dude making such accusations in this thread and we'll be finished.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  23:07:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
I think there is a simple explanation for these anti-gay gays - They are afraid of being found out so they feel that the louder they condemn homosexuality, the less likely someone will suspect them. There are probably lots of clues that they are gay, but as long as they beat the anit-gay durm load enough, no one picks up on them.

In the case of the pastors of mega-churchs, they have a lot of enemies to wory about because their is a lot of money up for grabs if they can be unseated. And money is what the mega-churchs are all about - economy of scale.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  04:08:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Gorgo wrote:
quote:
So I suppose anyone who takes a shot at Michael Jackson or OJ Simpson is out of line?

Gorgo, this is a casual conversation, not a legal hearing. The guy admitted to having bought drugs and got a massage from a male prostitute, so people here are making speculation on his guilt. And only speculation. Dude and beskeptical have made their opinions on the matter clear, and you have jumped all over that, and in turn, missed the whole point of the conversation. The point of discussion was anti-gay gays, and whether or not this preacher is proven guilty, plenty of similar stories from the past have rung true, so it is a perfectly valid topic of discussion.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  04:29:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
quote:
Yes, probably. I'm sure you are familiar with the portion of the constitution that grants the presumption of innocence to all people, until they are proven guilty of some crime.

These were Dude's words, Martha.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 11/06/2006 04:32:45
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  04:53:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Gorgo is just being an asshole. Nothing unusual from him.

Haggard has admitted to "sexual immorality", what else can that mean, in this instance, besides him admitting to being gay?

But apparently gorgo is so stupid that he thinks being a closeted gay and publicly anti-gay is a crime, and is telling me that I should grant Haggard a presumption of innocence.... when I have never proclaimed him guilty of any crime, nor even accused him of a crime.

Just because Gorgo uses the word "guilty" in another thread, and I call him on it, he is apparently pissed off enough to drag his ignorance into other threads and show it off for us.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  06:14:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
quote:
we'll be finished.

We'll be finished when you explain why you and Dude get your kicks out of fucking with people, and why Kil and Atomic allow people like Dude here.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  06:26:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
quote:
So I suppose anyone who takes a shot at Michael Jackson or OJ Simpson is out of line?

What's funny about this is that those that get really worried about their guilt are the same people that think the system works, and that everyone in prison "deserves" to be there.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  06:43:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
*shrug* Except in some blue law states, consensual sex is perfectly legal, including gay sex. Also, there is nothing wrong with talking about doing crank. As long as the cops don't have the evidence to charge you, you're free as a bird 'cause talk's cheap. It takes more than talk, even with tears of remorse running down Haggard's cheeks like piss on a telephone booth wall, to support a case, and while it might be under investigation, until and unless the goods are found, there is no case. I don't even think that the hooker could do more than inconvenience Haggard, legally at least. Thus far, it's all "he said, she said," and to the best of my recollection, that's not considered evidence of anything. Not yet, anyway.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  06:52:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
It is interesting that he admitted to anything at all.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds.