Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  06:57:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Gorgo wrote:
quote:
These were Dude's words, Martha.
Ah, my mistake. OK, so now I'm a bit confused as to what the heck this whole argument is about. It seems rather insignificant and petty. But whatever.

quote:
We'll be finished when you explain why you and Dude get your kicks out of fucking with people, and why Kil and Atomic allow people like Dude here.
A daring statement considering that you piss people off at least as much as Dude does. I've had my problems with him and you, but I appreciate that this forum allows for such feistiness. Sticks and stones... after all.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  07:04:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
quote:
I've had my problems with him and you, but I appreciate that this forum allows for such feistiness. Sticks and stones... after all.

The difference is his need to be insulting. My or your decision to be pissed off about something is irrelevant. This idea that "asshole" is part of a reasonable discussion is just over the top.

What was petty was for you to say that what I said about him was "totally a dodge" when you really had no idea what you were talking about, and it was him that was dodging (as well as calling people idiots and assholes).

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 11/06/2006 07:06:27
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  08:50:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Gorgo:
The difference is his need to be insulting. My or your decision to be pissed off about something is irrelevant. This idea that "asshole" is part of a reasonable discussion is just over the top.

For what it is worth Gorgo I don't approve of ad-homs as a way to further an argument. The staff has stopped using them in order to set an example…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  09:09:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
kil said:
quote:
For what it is worth Gorgo I don't approve of ad-homs as a way to further an argument.

As an argumentive tool, I agree. Argumentum ad hominem is inane.

But I'm not using an ad-hom argument, I'm just namecalling.

Gorgo is in this thread deliberately hijacking it from my simple observation that there seem to be alot of anti-gay gay people out there. Because he is pissed off at me.

To which I can only say.... whatever.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  09:16:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
quote:
I'm just namecalling.

Not pissed, just curious as to what I'm dealing with.

And now that we know what you are, we can deal with you from that perspective.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  09:29:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgo

We'll be finished when you explain why you and Dude get your kicks out of fucking with people...
You're going to have to narrow that down some before I'll be able to answer it.
quote:
...and why Kil and Atomic allow people like Dude here.
We allow "people like Dude here" for the same reason we allow people like you here, Gorgo. You (both) make significant contributions of valuable insights related to our mission in diverse subjects.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  09:33:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
quote:
You (both) make significant contributions of valuable insights related to our mission in diverse subjects.

Yes, like looking up words for you.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  09:38:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
and you have the sack to accuse me of "fucking" with people....

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  09:43:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

and you have the sack to accuse me of "fucking" with people....

I understand.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  09:44:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

Yes, like looking up words for you.
I understand that you're angry, Gorgo. I think that everyone who's read this far understands that you're angry. Continuing to tell us that you're angry is okay if that's what you really want to do, but it won't bring anything closer to a resolution.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  09:50:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
quote:
Continuing to tell us that you're angry is okay if that's what you really want to do, but it won't bring anything closer to a resolution.

Again, you're fucking with me. I was just stating a fact. You asked me the meaning of the word 'criminal.' I took a lot of time trying to get you to explain your problem, but you refused to answer. Much like Dude, you seem to only be interested in playing games. I mean, we've established that with him, you, I'm still wondering about.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  10:34:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

Again, you're fucking with me.
No, Gorgo, I'm not.
quote:
I was just stating a fact.
"Just?" No, the particular fact you chose to state shows that you've been holding a grudge for quite some time.
quote:
You asked me the meaning of the word 'criminal.' I took a lot of time trying to get you to explain your problem, but you refused to answer.
I did explain it to you: I wasn't asking you to look up a definition, I was asking you how you were using that word within the context of what you'd been saying, because your statement that 'criminal' doesn't necessarily refer to someone who has committed a crime (paraphrased) was potentially confusing, and perhaps part of the reason you (and others) were getting so angry in that thread. And you're obviously still angry about it, since you picked "looking up a word" as an example of the significant contributions I said you'd made.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  10:51:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Calm down! Shit. Well, at least you have the good sense not to start getting hysterical and scream ASSHOLE! and IDIOT' when you get to things you don't understand.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  11:47:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

Calm down!
What made you think I wasn't calm?
quote:
Shit.
Just what are you so angry about, Gorgo?
quote:
Well, at least you have the good sense not to start getting hysterical and scream ASSHOLE! and IDIOT' when you get to things you don't understand.
Ah, you're just lashing out now, trying to make me (and others) as angry as you are.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  11:52:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Good then. You were asking me to explain the word 'criminal' to me. When I asked you to explain, you showed instances in which I used other words, and then asked me to explain my use of the word 'criminal' in those sentences. Sentences which did not contain the word 'criminal.' When I asked you to clarify, you refused, and I was the asshole for asking you to clarify.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.