Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  03:51:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Oog. Stayed up too late and drank too much last night...

It looks good, looks good. Got the House and just might swing the Senate.

The fucktard Bush is gonna give a news conference and response at 1:00 pm EST today. I never watch him out of respect for my stomach, but this time, I think I'll take some Maalox and catch it.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  04:29:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Here's the one I've been looking for!
quote:
Democrat Lampson takes DeLay's old seat
by Chris in Paris - 11/08/2006 03:13:00 AM

Texas 22 goes Democrat in a crushing 10 point victory. Who would have guessed that a Houston suburb would wallop the GOP so badly?
That corrupt, gerrymandering, little son-of-a-bitch just got his foeces clogged nose rubbed it it, 10/4!

Hey Tommy, you slimy, little piece of a necrotic chancre scab! Got yer Concealed Carry back yet?

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  04:44:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Montana senate race looks exciting.
10% left to count and Tester (D), is only about 2000 votes ahead of the incumbent, Burns (R)(C.R Burns not C.M Burns)
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  05:24:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Still too close to call in VA at 7:30 a.m. The Republican George "Macaca" Allen tailing the Reagan Democrat Webb by 1%.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  06:01:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

Montana senate race looks exciting.
10% left to count and Tester (D), is only about 2000 votes ahead of the incumbent, Burns (R)(C.R Burns not C.M Burns)

4% to count, 1500 votes ahead.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  06:04:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
This comes as quite a shock. Just a couple of weeks ago Karl Rove emphatically claimed I'm entitled to The Math.
quote:
"You may end up with a different math, but you're entitled to your math," Rove said. "I'm entitled to 'the' math."

I guess his math was flawed. I wonder if there is anything else about Karl that could be flawed?

Note to self: Make time to read the full transcript at NPR

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  06:05:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
I think the lower republican turnout shows that true conservatives do not relate to the current republican party. Being a conservative (not necessarily republican) I had a hard time voting because no republican candidates seemed to want to curb spending, do something about immigration and truely fix social security. The democratic and liberitarian candidates have fundamental values that I cannot vote for either (abortion, gay marriage etc.) I don't think that I am the only conservative minded person that feels this way.

It is interesting to me that people chose a party and people with no solutions or plan for Iraq over a plan they did not like. The democtratic plan on Iraq seems to me to be to withdraw and hope that the situation over there will not affect us. What else can I conclude?

Also, where are the stories about voter fraud and imitation by the GOP that was all over the news in the morning. It seems democrates only care about the integrity of the election if they lose.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  07:30:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Robb:
It is interesting to me that people chose a party and people with no solutions or plan for Iraq over a plan they did not like. The democtratic plan on Iraq seems to me to be to withdraw and hope that the situation over there will not affect us. What else can I conclude?

You can conclude that the party in power has botched everything they have put their hands on. At least with democrats in control of congress, you get some resistance to the mind bogglingly stupid and dangerous policies of the current administration. Obviously, some of the republican's more moderate voters have had a belly full of this bunch as well.
quote:
Robb:
Also, where are the stories about voter fraud and imitation by the GOP that was all over the news in the morning. It seems democrates only care about the integrity of the election if they lose.

These stories take a while to surface. The smoke has to clear. I'll bet you that they will and when they do it will be about republican misconduct at the polls…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  08:37:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Lest I forget to mention this but I am absolutely thrilled by the outcome of this election. The house is a done deal and the senate is looking very good.

I do believe that this was a rejection my many voters of the insanity of neo-con policies. And I mean by many traditional conservatives too. Even those who stayed at home because they just couldn't pull the lever for a democrat have found themselves disenfranchised by this bunch of lunatics. The neo-cons are now officially on the run.

I expect that many of the republicans left standing will moderate their position and not attempt to defend those policies that probably caused them to upchuck every time they were forced to tow the party line.

And that means that democratic control of congress is tenuous at best, as has been mentioned in several posts above.

So even if we have shot an arrow through neo-con policies, which was/is an important goal, forcing the republicans to moderate their positions in order to win the next election was also important, because, they might win next time around. After all, we won some very red precincts. And there is no reason to believe that, other than the advantage an incumbent has, they will hold.

In the short term, this was a great victory. A necessary victory. But we still have a ways to go…

Anyhow, I feel better today.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  10:54:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

These stories take a while to surface. The smoke has to clear. I'll bet you that they will and when they do it will be about republican misconduct at the polls…

Well, by now it's obvious it was the Dems that hacked the vote this time. If we apply the same reasoning as applied to the Republicans:

1) We know voting machines are hackable, therefore they must have been hacked.

2)Human nature being what it is, it's obvious Democrats had motive after the poundings they've taken in previous elections.

3)Overall, Democrats won. I myself voted on a Diebold machine in a red state and a Democrat governor won!

It's an air-tight case!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  11:55:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Bush is giving his press conference. His speech was the expected boiler plate -- happy note: Rumfelsd's history.

Questions about Iraq: except for Rumsfeld shitcanning, same ol', same ol'.

More election apologetics.

Iraq: Let's get the job done -- we are constantly adjusting -- get the job done.

Suck up to reporter.....

Gonna talk with Pelosi and find common ground. Lot's of common ground.

Cheney wiil stay.

Gonna work with both parties and people (Pelosi) say unfortunate things. Must work together ad nauseum.

Thus far, all pretty predictable, and indeed, much of it, Iraq, redundant.

Lies about troop enlistments and reenlistment rates.

Semi-fluffing of the Religious Right -- much stammering.

No do-overs in job, leading to more Iraq -- something incomprehensible about write-ins. Much election blithering.

It's getting tiresome. More reach-out and bipartisan stuff.

I'm an optomistic person.

More bipartisan -- wants to hear the ideas of others. Entitlements.

Something I didn't uinderstand.

Emirgration reform, making progress.

Bug-out.

News clown called it a tough news confrence. I found it entirely predictable and not worth an old man missing his nap for. The question I wanted to ask -- congressional investigations of criminal activities by himself and his administration, went unaired.

Biggest part of it: Rumfeld's out and being replaced by Robert Gates. Beyond that, a softie.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  12:25:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
All I can say after looking at the exit polls (well, not all, just for now) is that the biggest thing is, as I have been saying, curroption. Swing/swing.

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  12:47:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Neglected to add that the whole thing was accompanied by much smirking and posturing -- typical Bush.

When you write it while it's all going down, you tend to forget and indeed, even miss quite a bit. Don't think I'll try that again.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  12:55:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

...When you write it while it's all going down, you tend to forget and indeed, even miss quite a bit. Don't think I'll try that again.

Pretty good summary I'd say, and actually a nifty template for all Bush press conferences.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  18:41:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Much as I applaud the resounding defeat of the NeoCons across the Nation, one thing leaves a very sour lingering smell about the election.

One of the basic principles of American democracy has always been the balance between the rule of the majority and the rights of minorities -- a careful balance between democracy and freedom.

The 2006 midterm elections certainly worked in the first part of this, but not nearly so well in the second. In many states, anti-gay legislation has been enacted by popular vote. Whenever people are denied equal protection of the law, it is a violation of our most basic principles of freedom.

All over our Nation, our neighbors have been, through a democratic process, denied their basic freedom to be treated equally. Gay couples do not, except in one state, have a legal right to marry, no matter how dedicated they are in their partnerships. In several states, this has been taken even further, denying such couples domestic partnership rights.

Let me state this clearly: Not even a democratic process can legitimately deny equal rights to citizens. The fact that bigotry is massively popular in many states does not make it right, nor should it make it legal.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.