New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

MuhammedGoldstein
BANNED

201 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  14:36:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send MuhammedGoldstein a Private Message
Originally posted by Dude

MG said:
from the stat I have said that it is the genetics which allows the creature to be a white bird that can turn pink.

So the bird turning pink when fed pigment is genetically caused.

Thats what you were saying? Really? Because it seems as if you were saying something entirely different.

that's cause you're an idiot, to.

It does mention phenotype, just without using the word "phenotype."... DAVEW
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  15:00:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Originally posted by MuhammedGoldstein

from the start I have said that it is the genetics which allows the creature to be a white bird that can turn pink.

Then why did you say (and I quote), "...phenotype can be about something which has no relation to the genotype of the flamingo," and then why did you disagree (direct quote: "No, not so.") with me when I tried to correct you?
why could it not be said that it is the bird's genetic encoding, which, when acted upon by environment, produce a white bird that can turn pink ?
That is what "phenotype" means, so I have no idea "why could it not be said."

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  15:02:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message

that's cause you're an idiot, to.
 Moderation Notice 

That is quite enough with the insults. More of that, and we'll start handing out warnings.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

MuhammedGoldstein
BANNED

201 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  15:16:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send MuhammedGoldstein a Private Message

from the start I have said that it is the genetics which allows the creature to be a white bird that can turn pink.

Then why did you say (and I quote), "...phenotype can be about something which has no relation to the genotype of the flamingo,"
because it doesn't, necessarily.

and then why did you disagree (direct quote: "No, not so.") with me when I tried to correct you?
here I draw your attention to the fact that you ask me a question about my disagreeing, but what you followed with was not what I disagreed with. I'm as blind today as yesterday, but I don't see my words in context of our disagreement. If you cared to print in context, showing what I disagreed with, it would be less ambiguous or confusing for others who aren't reading every post. thanks. We can handle the next question when we finish the first.

why could it not be said that it is the bird's genetic encoding, which, when acted upon by environment, produce a white bird that can turn pink ?[quote]That is what "phenotype" means, so I have no idea "why could it not be said."
exactly. my whole sentence from " the birds genetic encoding" onwards, "means" phenotype. to you.

Edited by - MuhammedGoldstein on 06/10/2008 15:24:54
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  15:27:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Dave_W said:
Then why did you say (and I quote), "...phenotype can be about something which has no relation to the genotype of the flamingo,"

Then MG said:
because it doesn't, necessarily.

You are entirely incoherent. Maybe you should get some help with English translations.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

MuhammedGoldstein
BANNED

201 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  15:28:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send MuhammedGoldstein a Private Message

because it doesn't, necessarily HAVE to - but does, sometimes. I edited it later to add a bit more explanation.

and then why did you disagree (direct quote: "No, not so.") with me when I tried to correct you?
here I draw your attention to the fact that you ask me a question about my disagreeing, but what you followed with was not what I disagreed with. I'm as blind today as yesterday, but I don't see my words in context of our disagreement. If you cared to print in context, showing what I disagreed with, it would be less ambiguous or confusing for others who aren't reading every post. thanks. We can handle the next question when we finish the first.

why could it not be said that it is the bird's genetic encoding, which, when acted upon by environment, produce a white bird that can turn pink ?[quote]That is what "phenotype" means, so I have no idea "why could it not be said."
exactly. my whole sentence from " the birds genetic encoding" onwards, "means" phenotype. to you.

Edited by - MuhammedGoldstein on 06/11/2008 01:30:33
Go to Top of Page

MuhammedGoldstein
BANNED

201 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  15:52:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send MuhammedGoldstein a Private Message
to some, "Jesus Christ" "means" "Jesus of Nazareth, Lord Saviour, who died on the cross for my sins".

Others think it "means" "Jesus of Nazareth, an anointed person".

Maybe nobody here even cares to address me by name. But it's Muhammed.

How are you guys doing today ?

Edited by - MuhammedGoldstein on 06/10/2008 16:01:26
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  16:49:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message

Originally posted by Dave W.

...I believe Berkeley and others see the sentence "Pink is not encoded for" as saying that pink has a 100% correlation with pigment feed. There is no room left in 100 for anything but "pigment feed", meaning that phenotype can be about something which has no relation to the genotype of the flamingo.
If it were 100% the food, then any animal fed a diet high in beta carotene would turn pink.
No, not so. In flamingos it is so.
Right-- BECAUSE of their genotype!!! Remember that point I made earlier about other white birds? The website (linked from your Berkeley site) noted, quite clearly:
Simply feeding white birds, such as egrets, white ibis, and swans, with a carotenoid-rich diet will not turn their plumage reddish, as these birds lack the genes to produce the pigment cells in their feathers.
See? It's not just diet. It's diet PLUS genes!!!!!

Now TELL me you understand this!!
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  17:15:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
As a sidelight:
All is quickly solved with reference to Professor François Boieldieu who has researched these questions thoroughly in his book: "M. Boieldieu sait tout sur Phenotypes et leur Application, avec décapage des conseils et des nouilles genetique".

Of "genetic encoding" relating to "physical alterations", Boieldieu wrote in 1948:
Bend et sur le point directement avec le doigt à ses fesses.

Later, in Chapter 4, Boieldieu instinctively implied:
Pour plus de se baisser et dans les fesses.

This then led to Boieldieu's greatest insight:
Regarder. Voir les fesses que l'on regarde et pointe directement vers elle.

And Boieldieu summed it all up with:
Où que nous allions, les fesses.

Q.E.D. (Applause)
Go to Top of Page

MuhammedGoldstein
BANNED

201 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  17:16:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send MuhammedGoldstein a Private Message
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Originally posted by Dave W.

...I believe Berkeley and others see the sentence "Pink is not encoded for" as saying that pink has a 100% correlation with pigment feed. There is no room left in 100 for anything but "pigment feed", meaning that phenotype can be about something which has no relation to the genotype of the flamingo.
If it were 100% the food, then any animal fed a diet high in beta carotene would turn pink.
No, not so. In flamingos it is so.
Right-- BECAUSE of their genotype!!! Remember that point I made earlier about other white birds? The website (linked from your Berkeley site) noted, quite clearly:
Simply feeding white birds, such as egrets, white ibis, and swans, with a carotenoid-rich diet will not turn their plumage reddish, as these birds lack the genes to produce the pigment cells in their feathers.
See? It's not just diet. It's diet PLUS genes!!!!!

Now TELL me you understand this!!
I understand exactly what you are trying to say..but listen here, Cune,

look at your sentence. You say
"it's" not
. Your sentence says
"It's" diet plus genes.
What "it" ?

do you not agree with my words ?

Is there something wrong with them ?

Do they not describe what is ?

You need me to agree to a loose sentence? I provided one. Is it loose ? What's wrong with it?

Dave sees it as OK I think. As long as it "means" "phenotype". I do wonder if he thinks my sentence is OK without also thinking "means phenotype"

Is my sentence an OK description of what "is", shall we say ?
why could it not be said that it is the bird's genetic encoding, which, when acted upon by environment, produce(s)* a white bird that can turn pink ?

*Added an optional "s" to "produce"

When you said "Right!", were you agreeing with my "No, not so"...or were you agreeing with my "In Flamingos it is so "? Or both ??

Edited by - MuhammedGoldstein on 06/10/2008 17:46:21
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  17:31:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
I understand exactly what you are trying to say..but listen here, Cune,

look at your sentence. You say
"it's" not
. Your sentence says
"It's" diet plus genes.
What "it" ?
Uh, the meaning of "phenotype"?

do you not agree with my words ?

Is there something wrong with them ?

Do they not describe what is ?
No, they don't. You seem to be confused because you're going back and forth on this.

You need me to agree to a loose sentence? I provided one. Is it loose ? What's wrong with it?
This doesn't make sense in English.
Is my sentence an OK description of what "is", shall we say ?
why could it not be said that it is the bird's genetic encoding, which, when acted upon by environment, produce a white bird that can turn pink ?
This is slightly incorrect; the environment doesn't produce a white bird that can turn pink. The genetic encoding does.

So this isn't like the video you showed, where, for instance, feeding mice a certain thing can "turn on" or "turn off" a particular genetic tag and make it fat or thin.
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 06/10/2008 17:32:05
Go to Top of Page

MuhammedGoldstein
BANNED

201 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  17:47:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send MuhammedGoldstein a Private Message
When you said "Right!", were you agreeing with my "No, not so"...or were you agreeing with my "In Flamingos it is so "? Or both ??

Go to Top of Page

MuhammedGoldstein
BANNED

201 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  17:51:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send MuhammedGoldstein a Private Message
This is slightly incorrect; the environment doesn't produce a white bird that can turn pink. The genetic encoding does
does my sentence read to you that I said environment produces, or genetics produces ?

I tried to make it so that "genetics...produces " is the meaning. I tried to use correct clauses, punctuation, and everything, to show the meaning.

Edited by - MuhammedGoldstein on 06/10/2008 17:53:03
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  17:58:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message

This is slightly incorrect; the environment doesn't produce a white bird that can turn pink. The genetic encoding does
does my sentence read to you that I said environment produces, or genetics produces ?

I tried to make it so that "genetics...produces " is the meaning. I tried to use correct clauses, punctuation, and everything, to show the meaning.
It's a little ambiguous:
This sounds like you have a bird and the bird has a genetic encoding, and when the environment acts on the genetic encoding, it then creates a white bird that can, in the future, turn pink.

This might be better:
why could it not be said that it is the white bird's genetic encoding, which, when acted upon by environment, produced a pink bird ?
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  18:00:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
MuhammedGoldstein: is it your contention that everything measurable about a creature should be considered to be part of its phenotype because everything measurable might be part of its phenotype?

because it doesn't, necessarily, HAVE to - but does, sometimes. I edited it later to add a bit more explanation.
"It?" I can't agree with sloppy sentences. I'd be surprised if the first "it" referred to the same thing as the second "it," though.
If you cared to print in context, showing what I disagreed with, it would be less ambiguous or confusing for others who aren't reading every post.
Distraction via concern for others, now?
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts. The definition of "phenotype" is not a matter of opinion.

You also wrote:
Maybe nobody here even cares to address me by name. But it's Muhammed.
It's a little late to be getting neurotic, ain't it?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.62 seconds.