New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

MuhammedGoldstein
BANNED

201 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  18:41:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send MuhammedGoldstein a Private Message
I tried to make it so that "genetics...produces " is the meaning. I tried to use correct clauses, punctuation, and everything, to show the meaning.

It's a little ambiguous:
why could it not be said that it is the bird's genetic encoding, which, when acted upon by environment, produce a white bird that can turn pink ?
This sounds like you have a bird and the bird has a genetic encoding, and when the environment acts on the genetic encoding, it then creates a white bird that can, in the future, turn pink.
I can see that objection as reasonable. I'm not sure I like yours better though, so let's work on it.

This might be better:
why could it not be said that it is the white bird's genetic encoding, which, when acted upon by environment, produced a pink bird ?
This one, by the same token, could mean that a new bird is produced - offspring, in fact. Depends on context too much.

further, if you look more carefully, as I just did, I find that yours shows the same time lag as mine. The genes were there and then got acted upon by environment.

also, you switched tense on "produced" , and I don't like it now.

also, when you switched tense, you made it definite, that pink was produced.
therefore it would be a major error for me to agree to it.

Ask me why.

It does mention phenotype, just without using the word "phenotype."... DAVEW
Edited by - MuhammedGoldstein on 06/10/2008 18:52:00
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  19:24:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
Originally posted by MuhammedGoldstein
This might be better:
why could it not be said that it is the white bird's genetic encoding, which, when acted upon by environment, produced a pink bird ?
This one, by the same token, could mean that a new bird is produced - offspring, in fact. Depends on context too much.

further, if you look more carefully, as I just did, I find that yours shows the same time lag as mine. The genes were there and then got acted upon by environment.
But that's what is happening. The genes were there, and then were acted upon by the environment (when the bird ate the shrimp). So perhaps this works:

why could it not be said that it is the white bird's genetic encoding, which, when acted upon by environment, subsequently turns the bird pink ?

also, you switched tense on "produced" , and I don't like it now.
Yes, that was a hyper-corrective error on my part.

also, when you switched tense, you made it definite, that pink was produced.
therefore it would be a major error for me to agree to it.

Ask me why.
Slightly less obnoxious would have been just to say why. But yes, I'd say that if the bird has the proper genetic coding, and then eats the shrimp, we can be certain that it will turn pink. But you obviously think differently.
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 06/10/2008 19:25:23
Go to Top of Page

MuhammedGoldstein
BANNED

201 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  20:05:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send MuhammedGoldstein a Private Message
with your statement, Cune, when the genetics are acted upon by the environment, the birds turn pink.

Unfortunately, not always so : If there is no pigment feed, no pink.

so bad. Bery bsd !

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  20:18:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message

with your statement, Cune, when the genetics are acted upon by the environment, the birds turn pink.

so bad. Bery bsd !
Huh? Are there flamingos that are white despite eating lots of shrimp? I'm confused.
Go to Top of Page

MuhammedGoldstein
BANNED

201 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  20:33:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send MuhammedGoldstein a Private Message
no, none that are normal*.

go back and look at your statement, not your after-thoughts.
It says, to me, that the environment acted on or with the genetics. It does not say the birds ate shrimp. Your after-thoughts are explanatory , yes. And necessary, for your statement
Could you try and fit it into one statement that fits our requirements ?

I see progress , some bit of progress on our misunderstandings of each other, is happening.

*in reference to Simon's post of mangled birds or eggs.

Edited by - MuhammedGoldstein on 06/10/2008 20:44:26
Go to Top of Page

Zebra
Skeptic Friend

USA
354 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  20:41:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Zebra a Private Message
Um. Wow. Hard to believe I just read through all of that.

Very similar topic was posted here last week. The questions in that OP were clearer than the ones MG has thrown forth here, & the writer opined that the Berkeley site's definition of phenotype didn't make sense. All in all, a breath of fresh air to read, in comparison....

Posted by raglanroad on 6/03/2008 at pricenetwork.ca

genetics: is it messed up stuff ?

As an example, it is unclear to me why pink flamingos would be a different phenotype than white.
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evoli.../genovspheno_01

If you feed them differently, then kill all the white ones or all the shrimp fed pink ones in a group of flamingos you have, is the frequency of white or red going to change over time ?

After all it is only available diet that produces the colour.
Am I a different phenotype after a Christmas food binge ?
If I get a haircut, am i a different phenotype?
If so, isn't this kind of division, this categorization, truly containing a fat red herring ?
I mean, if we call people with a haircut a different phenotype, and selection occurs on that basis, and we take a bunch of people with long hair, give half of them a haircut, and make them all do dangerous tasks...long haired people being more likely to get wrapped up in machinery, for instance, is the genetic information selected against ?
WTF ?
Or are the websites from universities all screwed, to give that kind of definition ? I think it misleads a great number of people. Usually we think that if all of a certain phenotype gets killed, the genetics of the population will surely be altered away from whatever allowed the animals to be killed by the environmental factors.
Not so. The remaining ones with short haircuts will still have the SAME genetics to produce long hair.
If we used genetic baldies vs. long haireds, I could see how the action would happen.
Where, in the common definitions, is there a tie-in between phenotypic characters and genetics ?
If we had to be sure that phenotypic differences WERE genetically influenced, in order to make the assumptions about selection, that would make sense, then.
what do you think ?
thanks,
Dave

I think, you know, freedom means freedom for everyone* -Dick Cheney

*some restrictions may apply
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  20:46:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message
Originally posted by Chippewa

As a sidelight:
All is quickly solved with reference to Professor François Boieldieu who has researched these questions thoroughly in his book: "M. Boieldieu sait tout sur Phenotypes et leur Application, avec décapage des conseils et des nouilles genetique".

Of "genetic encoding" relating to "physical alterations", Boieldieu wrote in 1948:
Bend et sur le point directement avec le doigt à ses fesses.

Later, in Chapter 4, Boieldieu instinctively implied:
Pour plus de se baisser et dans les fesses.

*The native French speaker raises an eyebrow*
O...kay...

Two things about the discussion... at this point.

Keep in mind that the diet is part of the environment.

Also, the genes acts before the diet.
The diet allows the genes to express themselves.

This then led to Boieldieu's greatest insight:
Regarder. Voir les fesses que l'on regarde et pointe directement vers elle.

And Boieldieu summed it all up with:
Où que nous allions, les fesses.

Q.E.D. (Applause)

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

MuhammedGoldstein
BANNED

201 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  20:47:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send MuhammedGoldstein a Private Message
Originally posted by Zebra

Um. Wow. Hard to believe I just read through all of that.

Very similar topic was posted here last week. The questions in that OP were clearer than the ones MG has thrown forth here, & the writer opined that the Berkeley site's definition of phenotype didn't make sense. All in all, a breath of fresh air to read, in comparison....

Posted by raglanroad on 6/03/2008 at pricenetwork.ca

genetics: is it messed up stuff ?

As an example, it is unclear to me why pink flamingos would be a different phenotype than white.
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evoli.../genovspheno_01

If you feed them differently, then kill all the white ones or all the shrimp fed pink ones in a group of flamingos you have, is the frequency of white or red going to change over time ?

After all it is only available diet that produces the colour.
Am I a different phenotype after a Christmas food binge ?
If I get a haircut, am i a different phenotype?
If so, isn't this kind of division, this categorization, truly containing a fat red herring ?
I mean, if we call people with a haircut a different phenotype, and selection occurs on that basis, and we take a bunch of people with long hair, give half of them a haircut, and make them all do dangerous tasks...long haired people being more likely to get wrapped up in machinery, for instance, is the genetic information selected against ?
WTF ?
Or are the websites from universities all screwed, to give that kind of definition ? I think it misleads a great number of people. Usually we think that if all of a certain phenotype gets killed, the genetics of the population will surely be altered away from whatever allowed the animals to be killed by the environmental factors.
Not so. The remaining ones with short haircuts will still have the SAME genetics to produce long hair.
If we used genetic baldies vs. long haireds, I could see how the action would happen.
Where, in the common definitions, is there a tie-in between phenotypic characters and genetics ?
If we had to be sure that phenotypic differences WERE genetically influenced, in order to make the assumptions about selection, that would make sense, then.
what do you think ?
thanks,
Dave

Zebra, that guy is very lucid, but I think I'll reserve my judgment on who got the better hang of it at the end. I think it's me

Edited by - MuhammedGoldstein on 06/10/2008 21:18:37
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  20:56:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message

It says, to me, that the environment acted on or with the genetics. It does not say the birds ate shrimp. Your after-thoughts are explanatory , yes. And necessary, for your statement

I see progress , some bit of progress on our misunderstandings of each other, is happening.

Ugh. It's like Jerome all over again, but without the smilies. Obviously, when I'm talking about the environment, I'm talking about the flamingos eating shrimp. That's the environmental factor. you obviously have some grand point to make, so why not take a few hours and compose some lucid essay to make your point. This dance-around-the-point thing is annoying.
Go to Top of Page

MuhammedGoldstein
BANNED

201 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  21:06:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send MuhammedGoldstein a Private Message
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Ugh. It's like Jerome all over again, but without the smilies. Obviously, when I'm talking about the environment, I'm talking about the flamingos eating shrimp. That's the environmental factor. you obviously have some grand point to make, so why not take a few hours and compose some lucid essay to make your point. This dance-around-the-point thing is annoying.
it may be annoying but let's see if we can get it into one statement. You just can't assume that a reader knows you're talking about shrimp as the vital ingredient that makes your statement more sound. It's not obvious, if someone does not know your argument, that that shrimp are involved, unless you add your after-thoughts.

Edited by - MuhammedGoldstein on 06/10/2008 21:07:14
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  21:15:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message

so bad. Bery bsd !
Oh, come on!

If a flamingo eats a lot of beta carotene, it presents a different environment to its genetics than if it does not.

The same genotype (flamingo) combined with different environments (high in beta carotene or not) results in different phenotypes (pink feathers or white feathers, respectively).

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

MuhammedGoldstein
BANNED

201 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  21:21:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send MuhammedGoldstein a Private Message
Originally posted by Dave W.

so bad. Bery bsd !
Oh, come on!

If a flamingo eats a lot of beta carotene, it presents a different environment to its genetics than if it does not.

The same genotype (flamingo) combined with different environments (high in beta carotene or not) results in different phenotypes (pink feathers or white feathers, respectively).
for sure ! good thought. We need to add it to make Cune's statement make sense if one is unfamiliar with all of this stuff.

Conversely, if a flamingo does not eat beta carotene, it presents a different environment to it's genetics than if it does. That different environment might make a white bird stay white.

so we need to cover that. it's not just any environment that turns them pink.

Edited by - MuhammedGoldstein on 06/10/2008 21:26:52
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  21:36:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message

Originally posted by Dave W.

so bad. Bery bsd !
Oh, come on!

for sure ! good thought. We need to add it to make Cune's statement make sense if one is unfamiliar with all of this stuff.

Conversely, if a flamingo does not eat beta carotene, it presents a different environment to it's genetics than if it does. That different environment might make a white bird stay white.

No! It's been covered. It's been covered from every direction possible for the last 15 pages now. Everyone here knows what will happen to the flamingo depending on what diet it gets. We don't need any more background information.

Get to the freaking point!!!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  21:37:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message

If one is unfamiliar with all this stuff, then one should study more than just the basics of biology before thinking that one knows enough to argue about the definitions of biological terms or about the quality of an introductory biology web site.

If one is unfamiliar with all this stuff, one would probably have a difficult time understanding the answers given to the question, "if I get a hair cut, is it a phenotypic difference?" It would be quite probable that one wouldn't even understand the question itself.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Zebra
Skeptic Friend

USA
354 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  21:47:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Zebra a Private Message

Don't forget these other potential environmental routes to pinkness!

I think, you know, freedom means freedom for everyone* -Dick Cheney

*some restrictions may apply
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds.