New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

MuhammedGoldstein
BANNED

201 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  22:15:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send MuhammedGoldstein a Private Message
Originally posted by Dave W.

Originally posted by MuhammedGoldstein

for sure ! good thought. We need to add it to make Cune's statement make sense if one is unfamiliar with all of this stuff.
If one is unfamiliar with all this stuff, then one should study more than just the basics of biology before thinking that one knows enough to argue about the definitions of biological terms or about the quality of an introductory biology web site.

If one is unfamiliar with all this stuff, one would probably have a difficult time understanding the answers given to the question, "if I get a hair cut, is it a phenotypic difference?" It would be quite probable that one wouldn't even understand the question itself.
We were attempting to make a working statement on what happens.
My statement still holds water, whereas the others don't, without amendments and a warning of insufficiency from Dave.
why could it not be said that it is the bird's genetic encoding, which, when acted upon by environment, produce(s)* a white bird that can turn pink

It does mention phenotype, just without using the word "phenotype."... DAVEW
Edited by - MuhammedGoldstein on 06/10/2008 22:18:19
Go to Top of Page

MuhammedGoldstein
BANNED

201 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  22:55:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send MuhammedGoldstein a Private Message
moving along, let's take a look at this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_assimilation

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  23:01:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message

It's been said, over and over again. I don't get why beating this dead horse has value to you.
My statement still holds water, whereas the others don't, without amendments and a warning of insufficiency from Dave.
why could it not be said that it is the bird's genetic encoding, which, when acted upon by environment, produce(s)* a white bird that can turn pink
You say your statement "holds water," yet when I agreed that it described phenotype, you suggested that somehow it only described it to me. Your statement obviously doesn't hold water if when I agree with you, you imply that you don't agree. You appear to be confused, and yet still arrogant about your week of study.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  23:05:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message

moving along...
Oh, good grief.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

MuhammedGoldstein
BANNED

201 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  23:28:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send MuhammedGoldstein a Private Message
Originally posted by Dave W.

It's been said, over and over again. I don't get why beating this dead horse has value to you.
You say your statement "holds water," yet when I agreed that it described phenotype, you suggested that somehow it only described it to me.
Actually, Dave, this is what i said

exactly. my whole sentence from " the birds genetic encoding" onwards, "means" phenotype. to you.
That does not mean "only" you. I expect that most others might have a view similar to yours.

I think the exception would be only me, not you.

So. Without adding anything, do you think it is a good statement as is - without your opinion of what it describes ? In other words, no mention of phenotype...does it still hold water ? I will take it that most others agree with what you do, for whatever that's worth. If nobody has anything different to say, we go on.

Your statement obviously doesn't hold water if when I agree with you, you imply that you don't agree. You appear to be confused, and yet still arrogant about your week of study.

Edited by - MuhammedGoldstein on 06/10/2008 23:37:52
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  04:04:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
Well, we've hit the 15 page limit (and then some). If you'd like to continue the discussion, please go here.

This thread is locked.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds.