Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Religion
 A Christian (Catholic) sense of proportion...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  18:23:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PZ's posted again: Fight back against Bill Donohue. I'm going to do as he asks and send an email or letter off.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  18:55:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And this brouhaha has reached the Minneapolis papers.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  05:15:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

What would Jesus do? He'd weep in despair at the wickedness of his followers.

If a historical Jesus existed, and he was the teacher hinted at in the NT, I think he'd be dumbfounded at what's been done in his name over the past 2k years. That's probably not a strong enough word...

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  05:22:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

And this brouhaha has reached the Minneapolis papers.
I still don't get how anyone can make a death threat in defense of Christianity. Murder, revenge, even legislating Christian ideology - like anti-homosexuality - is in stark contrast with teachings attributed to Jesus and the most basic underlying concepts of christianity. If the NT god exists, these folks are at greater risk of hell than Meyers!

His opponents, he said, describe him as a "strident, militant atheist" because of his activism in the debate of evolution vs. creationism.
Catholics don't even accept creationism - they have publicly accepted evolution (albeit surrepticiously guided by you-know-who)!

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 07/11/2008 05:23:37
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  05:50:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the Star Tribune article:
Myers, in an interview today, explained that the blog entry is more "satire and protest" than an actual threat to defile the Eucharist.
Let's do keep this in proportion: PZ has been sent death threats because he's said he wanted to commit a sacrilege, not because he's actually committed one.

Of course, the retort will be that those people have only threatened to kill him, they haven't actually done so. However, many more are actively trying to get PZ fired.

And what's the refrain we keep hearing in the comments at PZ's blog and at the Star Tribune site? That the atheists should respect the beliefs of the Catholics. There aren't enough roll-eyes icons in the world to express my utter disdain for that ironic sentiment.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  07:27:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmph. Why the hell should I respect the "beliefs" of anybody? I might respect the person but still sneer at the superstition(s).

I don't think I'd go out of my way to desecrate the Eucarest, if I've spelled that right, but if it fell on the floor, I'd not bother to pick it up -- that's the janitors job. And if I happened to step on it as I was leaving, well, that's the way the cracker crumbles.

Of course, none of that is possible because I'm an atheist who thinks all this ridiculous, Catholic discomfort is as funny as grandma's tit caught in the mangle, and they'd never let me in with that attitude.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  07:45:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
... as funny as grandma's tit caught in the mangle...

GET OUT OF MY MIND!!!!!!1!1!

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  08:06:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And what's the refrain we keep hearing in the comments at PZ's blog and at the Star Tribune site? That the atheists should respect the beliefs of the Catholics. There aren't enough roll-eyes icons in the world to express my utter disdain for that ironic sentiment.

I have neither the time nor the will to wade through comments at either site, but from what you've said, it sounds as if all they want to be is left alone to practice their beliefs. And while there are evangelicals, let's not forget that there are many more who are not. In general, Catholic groups should be given the respect to practice their own beliefs on their own time by themselves, and this is all it sounds like they are asking for. And of course, some specific groups don't deserve this.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  08:26:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems like there's more than one understanding of "respect" getting tossed around. In terms of respecting someone's beliefs, I think of it as the courtesy of ignoring the very odd things your neighbor of a differing culture is doing in the privacy of his home. The courtesy of not trying to make that neighbor give up his own idiosyncracies and pick up yours instead so you feel more comfortable living near him. The courtesy of not trying to drive him off, imprison, or kill him because he's different and won't change to be more like you. This doesn't mean you have to pretend to like, support, honor, encourage, etc his very odd cultural practices. It's really the respect for your neighbor's freedom to live as he chooses and not necessarily the respect for his choices.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  14:01:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can this possibly get any more insane?
The Catholic League has issued another press release. In addition to disparaging the theory of evolution as the "King Kong Theory of Creation" (which is a bit peculiar, since Catholicism does not take a stand against evolution), he accuses me and my ilk (that's you, fair readers) of hysteria while making this hysterical declaration:
Hysterical declaration can be found here:
HYSTERIA MARKS MYERS AND HIS ILK

July 11, 2008

Yesterday, Catholic League president Bill Donohue issued a news release calling attention to the plea that Paul Zachary Myers made on his blog: he solicited the Communion Host for the express purpose of desecrating it. Donohue now responds to the reaction he has received from the University of Minnesota Morris professor, as well as others:

“Myers went on Houston radio station KPFT last night saying that Bill Donohue has ‘declared a fatwa' against him. He should know better—I don't need others to do the fighting for me. I'm quite good at it myself. But he'd better be careful what he says, because if I get any death threats, it won't be hard to connect the dots.

“Myers, who claims expertise in studying zebrafish, has quite a following among the King Kong Theory of Creation gang. Indeed, we've been inundated with hate mail from all over the world, and it all stems from those whose alleged god is reason.
Yeah, right. Way to garner respect for your gilded myth, Bill, you ignorant douchbag.

But it gives pause for thought; how many death threats have you ever heard of coming from atheists? I've never heard of any, although I'm quite sure there must have been some, sometime. However, they seem to be the fall-back position for a lot of religious whackos. And that shouldn't be suprising; killing unbelievers has until only recently been almost in the nature of a sport for the Church. A spectator sport.

Fuck you Bill. I don't believe you're all that tough.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  14:02:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ricky

I have neither the time nor the will to wade through comments at either site, but from what you've said, it sounds as if all they want to be is left alone to practice their beliefs. And while there are evangelicals, let's not forget that there are many more who are not. In general, Catholic groups should be given the respect to practice their own beliefs on their own time by themselves, and this is all it sounds like they are asking for.
Nope. It's like someone posts that Catholics are idiots for getting so upset over a cracker, and then someone else posts that Jesus tastes better with brie, and then a Catholic comes along and says, "you guys are mean, you need to respect our beliefs." These are people who are demanding that nobody mock them in public.

On a related note, PZ writes:
Fear me, O Trembling Republicans. A flick of my wrist, and cathedrals tumble to the earth; a nod of my head, and heathen legions rise up and swarm like flesh-eating locusts over the faithful.

Hah.
It seems that since PZ lives a mere 150 miles from where the Republican convention will be held, someone is demanding more security for Catholic convention-goers out of fear of violence.

Yes, you heard that right: PZ receives death threats, so the Catholics are scared that some atheist will hurt them.

Persecution complex, anyone?

ETA: filthy beat me to the "Submit" button by 48 seconds.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  14:52:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ETA: filthy beat me to the "Submit" button by 48 seconds.
Heh, I seem to have gotten pretty good at that, here lately.
Yes, you heard that right: PZ receives death threats, so the Catholics are scared that some atheist will hurt them.
Yeh. But they, and other flavors of Christian are quick to whine about religious persecution at the least secular inconvience. It gives them the appearance of martyrs, they think.

I've read that church participation has fallen off a tad in the last few years. If it's true, I think I might know why.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  17:34:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I get email — special cracker edition! Tons of insanity. Many people who miss the point, and think PZ should desecrate the Koran. One of the death threats:
Come on down to Florida. We know how to welcome bastards like you.....with a bullet.
Nice.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  18:42:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

I get email — special cracker edition! Tons of insanity. Many people who miss the point, and think PZ should desecrate the Koran. One of the death threats:
Come on down to Florida. We know how to welcome bastards like you.....with a bullet.
Nice.
I just left the site. I got through some 30 or so e-mails before my retinas detached, and added a small comment of my own.

Like many over there, I was amused to see them sugggesting that PZ blasphem Islam & the Koran, and suggesting that he didn't have the nerve to do it. Hah!

As for the threats, it has been my experience that those who make the most noise are candyasses and the least likely to carry them out.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  18:54:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

As for the threats, it has been my experience that those who make the most noise are candyasses and the least likely to carry them out.
Whether they're likely to be carried out is largely irrelevant.

The expressions of Christian love and forgiveness contained in those messages are simply remarkable!

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds.