Hovind’s theme park to go on sale
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  21:45:29  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To pay for the dimwitt's back-taxes (Courtesy from PZ)

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  02:50:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I grieve. As long as the park is still in existence, there remains a chance that one day, like a lame swallow stumbling drunkenly back to Capistrano, Kent will return. Then, I would again have the joy of kicking him around some more. Ah, what happy days those were, now, never to return.

I mean, Ham is fun and all, but on the hysteria scale he just can't cut it beside Hovind. Hell, no one can; our Kent was in a class of his own.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  06:36:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yet another form of evolution at work.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  08:21:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

I grieve. As long as the park is still in existence, there remains a chance that one day, like a lame swallow stumbling drunkenly back to Capistrano, Kent will return. Then, I would again have the joy of kicking him around some more. Ah, what happy days those were, now, never to return.

I mean, Ham is fun and all, but on the hysteria scale he just can't cut it beside Hovind. Hell, no one can; our Kent was in a class of his own.

Park or no park, Kent will return. Hell, the only way for him to raise money after his release will be evangelize for creationism in front of church groups. He will add that he was persecuted for daring to challenge the scientific statuesque by a government that trumped up charges of tax evasion to silence the "Truth" of his sermons against evolution.

Hovind is Hovind, park or not.

I predict.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  08:46:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Making money from complete morons, unable to think for themselves, that's what it's all about. Hovind lives off of them, very nicely. Not one penny of my money or second of time will he ever get of mine. He knows first hand how easy it is to live off ignorance. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  10:16:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil He will add that he was persecuted for daring to challenge the scientific statuesque by a government that trumped up charges of tax evasion to silence the "Truth" of his sermons against evolution.

Too true, his supporters have been saying exactly that since he first walked through the doors of the joint.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  14:46:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
None of the photos I've seen of Kent Hovind's little "dinosaur park" convince me it's anything but a trashy little redneck collection of shacks, signs and playground equipment. It's not nearly in the class of Ken Ham's huge and expensive travesty in Kentucky.

Anyone who buys the property will need to first bulldoze the whole thing. I hope the Feds get most of what's owed them, but not quite all. I'd prefer Hovind remained in debt to the Feds for the rest of his miserable life.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  15:42:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's just east of Old Palafox Highway. There are two trees in the middle of the parking lot. You can get a nice street view of the closed gates, too (just pan the camera to the right).

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  16:33:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

It's just east of Old Palafox Highway. There are two trees in the middle of the parking lot. You can get a nice street view of the closed gates, too (just pan the camera to the right).
The
Dinosaur Adventure Land web site shows the park is only open seven hours a week, on Saturdays only, except by appointment. I suppose that gives Eric Hovind a chance to keep up his day job at MacDonald's.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  16:45:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

What a dump. It looks like one of those freak show places that's way off the main road your traveling on but are sometimes enticed to travel to (the kids want to go there) because of a few compelling road signs. "Don't miss Aunt Bea, The biggest Mummy on the Planet Earth!!! Just three miles off the interstate in Mayberry!!!"

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2009 :  09:54:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, they got it. Anybody wanna buy a piece of Dinoland Adventure acreage, cheap?
Judge clears way for dinosaur park to be seized
Kris Wernowsky • kwernowsky@pnj.com • August 1, 2009

Afederal judge has cleared the way for the government's seizure of a creationism theme park in Pensacola owned by a couple convicted of tax fraud.

A ruling by U.S. District Judge Casey Rodgers states that the nine properties that make up Dinosaur Adventure Land as well as two bank accounts associated with the park will be used to satisfy $430,400 owed to the federal government.

Kent Hovind, who founded the park and a ministry, Creation Science Evangelism, is serving 10 years in federal prison for failing to pay the Internal Revenue Service more than $470,000 in employee taxes.
He was found guilty in November 2006 on 58 counts, including failure to pay employee taxes and making threats against investigators.
The conviction culminated 17 years of Hovind sparring with the IRS. Saying he was employed by God and his ministers were not subject to payroll taxes, he claimed no income or property.

Hovind is incarcerated at the Edgefield Federal Correction Institution in South Carolina.

His wife, Jo, also was sentenced to a year in federal prison for her role in the tax fraud. She's currently jailed at the Federal Correctional Institution in Marianna.

Rodgers' 16-page order released late Thursday gives the government the green light to divide up the nine properties in and around the 5800 block of North Palafox Street and begin to sell them until the $430,400 forfeiture amount is satisfied.
I would like to see someone buy a bit of it and open up a Skeptical Adventure Land. It could exhibit reproductions of wonderful items like the London Hammer and the famous Pecker Paluxi Tracks so beloved by the park's former owner. And let us not forget the Coso Artifact, one of Champion's finest spark plugs. Why even Onyate Man could be prominently displayed and all of these stories told. The possibilities are endless!

It would do ol' Kent proud.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Fani

16 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2009 :  11:32:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading this reminded me of Hovind's buddy Jack Chick (the creator of the wacky, arch-Christian little comic strips that junkies are always trying to give you at the bus stop). Chick was always citing Hovind as a source for his claims which is sort of like Himmler citing Goebbels as a reason why "Jews are bad."
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2009 :  11:52:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Fani

Reading this reminded me of Hovind's buddy Jack Chick (the creator of the wacky, arch-Christian little comic strips that junkies are always trying to give you at the bus stop). Chick was always citing Hovind as a source for his claims which is sort of like Himmler citing Goebbels as a reason why "Jews are bad."
We have taken Chick and his fellow travelers to task many times. And we are always excited when a new Chick Tract comes out. They are always good for a chuckle.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Fani

16 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2009 :  12:12:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My friend once sent me a parody of the Chick tract in your link (Big Daddy) called "Whose Your Daddy?" which was hysterical but unfortunately I forgot to save it. There was another one spoofing "The Choice" called "Who Will Be Eaten First?" which made me go and buy a Cthulhu sticker for my car!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2009 :  14:22:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Fani

My friend once sent me a parody of the Chick tract in your link (Big Daddy) called "Whose Your Daddy?" which was hysterical but unfortunately I forgot to save it. There was another one spoofing "The Choice" called "Who Will Be Eaten First?" which made me go and buy a Cthulhu sticker for my car!

Fani, You might enjoy this:

Kent Hovind is a Big Phony!

To which Hovind responded with this:

Dr. Dino doesn't like our Jack Chick spoof!

And then there are the Jack Chick parodies in our Moonscape News area, done by Halfmooner

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Fani

16 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2009 :  15:00:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great response to the Hovind fan that called you guys "idiots." I think some rational people actually attempted debates with Doctor Dino before and quickly realized that the tactics of people with no valid argument is just to obfuscate and claim victory afterward. Of course, the only debate you can have with Hovind now is just what part of prison sodomy is part of God's plan for him!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.