Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  09:58:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's funny how many of us have the gut reaction to just want to punch her lights out. I'm wondering of Dawkins felt the same way, especially after she waved away the evidence that he kept saying was available for her to see, about five or six times, was it? I also think Dawkins may have missed an opportunity, after she said over and over that all they have in museums are diagrams, to suggest that since he knows that's not true, she was not being truthful about her having seen the evidence herself. But then again, the only way he could have done that was by calling her a liar to her face.

What got me wasn't the old creationist bullshit of hers. It was her smug attitude, which Dawkins showed no hint of. She was rude in that passive aggressive way that makes us want to belt her one.

Anyhow, yeah. It was painful to watch. And I think that may have been the point of the interview.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  10:24:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

I think it's funny how many of us have the gut reaction to just want to punch her lights out.
The really funny thing is that all I want to do is ridicule her, but you want to do her physical harm.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  10:25:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Originally posted by filthy

I can't seem to find whether or not she pulled any time, or even community service, so I suspect not. Probably got either dismissed or a suspended sentence.
She was let go for that one:
A fourth leader, Wendy Wright, of Binghamton, N.Y., originally was expected to face the judge along with the others. Her lawyer said that she was a group spokeswoman but that she planned to leave Wichita immediately.

Kelly said she was free to leave.
I see hints that she's been arrested for other anti-abortion protests, though.

By the way, that Wichita arrest was for the rather violent protests outside of George Tiller's clinic. It's a small world.
Thanks. Figgered it was something like that and read that it was Tillers clinic. Small world indeed! I also note that she's close to Randall Terry, to whom getting busted for assholery is a badge of honor.

I know why this series of vids is so aggravating to watch; it's that smarmy, fetid, little smirk she wears as she spouts her nonsense. She does it through the whole thing, like it was tattooed on her chops, never missing a beat. Dawkins could have stomped on her foot and she'd still have it, I think, and it's a pity he didn't try the experiment.

Did Dr. Dawkins waste his time interviewing her? On the surface, it might appear so but in reality, I think not. He got his message across to all who watched the vids. Wright merely looked like a condescending, simpering fool.

Ugh! I'm glad I watched it and glad that I don't have to do it again.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  11:05:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Kil

I think it's funny how many of us have the gut reaction to just want to punch her lights out.
The really funny thing is that all I want to do is ridicule her, but you want to do her physical harm.

Ahhh, but you want to ridicule her for her ideas. I want to punch her lights out for her attitude. See the difference?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  11:22:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Originally posted by Kil

Ahhh, but you want to ridicule her for her ideas. I want to punch her lights out for her attitude. See the difference?

How about Kil beats the living snot out of her while Dave slices her up with ridicule? I'd pay to see that.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  16:19:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My tolerance must have dropped because I only made it though the first third of the first one.

When she started talking about Nebraska man is when I think I started to see red....

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  17:01:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I noticed that Wendy Wright exhibited the irritating but revealing habit, probably unbeknownst to her, of giggling every time Dawkins brought up a point she absolutely, positively didn't want to touch.

Dawkins was the Saint of Restraint in that interview. Indeed, there were sevaral times when he could have, and probably should have, simply called Wright's transparent lying by its proper name. Dawkins did a fine job, though, of getting the Creationist viewpoint exposed for the shifty, dishonest mess of disorganized evasions and distortions that it is. Wright's attempts to revile "hard-core Evolutionists" fell flat in the face of Dawkins' politeness.

It would be interesting, though, to see how Christopher Hitchens would have handled that interview, wouldn't it? I suspect he might have landed in jail. But I admit I might have been happier, personally.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  17:04:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you would hit a woman for disagreeing with you?

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  17:06:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  17:15:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

Typical strawman. And sexist, too.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  17:19:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it's sexist to disagree with hitting women then I'll happily be sexist. And it isn't straw man since several people in this topic have said they would want to hit her.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  17:36:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

No. Nor, probably, would Hitchens have. But Hitchens does not suffer fools or liars. I suspect he might have gotten rather loud, or even have torn up the place. Certainly, Ms. Wright would have come out looking like Ms. Wrong. It would have been exciting video.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  17:38:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

If it's sexist to disagree with hitting women then I'll happily be sexist. And it isn't straw man since several people in this topic have said they would want to hit her.
It's sexist to believe that only one or the other sex may be hit.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  17:41:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Not if she were wearing glasses...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  17:52:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

If it's sexist to disagree with hitting women then I'll happily be sexist.
I actually disagree with hitting anyone. Wendy being a woman is inconsequential to that ideal, and so by bringing it up you make it clear that you accord one sex a special status over the other with regard to physical violence: a sexist position.
And it isn't straw man since several people in this topic have said they would want to hit her.
Yes, but the reason you fabricated for them is what the strawman is. A couple people have mentioned wanting to slug her because she's a smug little twit, which is a very different reason than the one you made up.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.