Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  10:39:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for WMD's. Congress believed what the Bush administration told them. Pity. It wasn't until later that we found out how much of it was trumped up. Why do you think Scooter Libby went to jail? Outing a CIA agent because her husband told the truth about Iraq's nuclear program. The Bush/Cheney administration wanted there to be WMD's, and they made that clear to intelligence gathering agencies. We know that now. Even as the inspectors were telling them they couldn't find anything, he had them pulled out because he didn't like what he was hearing. He fucking lied!!! Iraq was a neocon operation that had it it's roots back in the nineties with the neocon suggestion that Iraq could serve is the first country in our goal for a Pax Americana.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  10:49:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bill:
Certainly no more of a threat than was Saddam, if even that.

More crap. Let's see. He sponsored the downing of an american jet over scotland and was behind many bombings of US Embassies. He attacked us. When did Saddam attack us?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

alienist
Skeptic Friend

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  12:57:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send alienist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, Bill, you just sound hysterical. There are plenty of reasonable arguments against Obama involving the US in military action against Qaddaffi (and arguments for) It is not such a black and white issue. But you sound like Fox news. I know I am attacking you and not your argument. YOu are so ready to call Obama a criminal, but then you don't criticize Bush Jr's actions, which have gotten a whole lot more people killed.

Your kind of argument makes me despair for the my country. The media and politicians could elevate the discussion, but I often hear schoolyard-like arguments.... "My daddy hasn't done anything wrong, but your daddy is a criminal...."

So, Bill, if you want anyone's respect, then you need to stop being so emotional

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well! - Joe Ancis
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  13:52:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by alienist
So, Bill, if you want anyone's respect, then you need to stop being so emotional
Bill is not emotional, he's delusional. When he looks around, the world does not look to him like we perceive it. He has a very strong religious filter to his perception that impairs his logical- and reasoning- processes (if they work at all).
I'm starting to wonder if he's beyond salvation.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  05:20:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You know, Bill, you just sound hysterical. There are plenty of reasonable arguments against Obama involving the US in military action against Qaddaffi (and arguments for) It is not such a black and white issue. But you sound like Fox news. I know I am attacking you and not your argument. YOu are so ready to call Obama a criminal, but then you don't criticize Bush Jr's actions, which have gotten a whole lot more people killed.

Your kind of argument makes me despair for the my country. The media and politicians could elevate the discussion, but I often hear schoolyard-like arguments.... "My daddy hasn't done anything wrong, but your daddy is a criminal...."

You obviously have no idea who I am. I have plenty of beefs with GWB. If you want to start that thread I’ll help you put together a list. But GWB is no longer the president so I now care more about the actions of the sitting prez.

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

The fact that humans do science is what causes errors in science. -Dave W.-

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  05:27:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So in Iraq and Afgainstan we fight against al-Qaeda while in Libya we fight along side them? And are we, the infidals, not the invaders?

Earlier this month, al-Qaeda issued a call for supporters to back the Libyan rebellion, which it said would lead to the imposition of "the stage of Islam" in the country.

Abdel-Hakim al-Hasidi, the Libyan rebel leader, has said jihadists who fought against allied troops in Iraq are on the front lines of the battle against Muammar Gaddafi's regime.

In an interview with the Italian newspaper Il Sole 24 Ore, Mr al-Hasidi admitted that he had recruited "around 25" men from the Derna area in eastern Libya to fight against coalition troops in Iraq. Some of them, he said, are "today are on the front lines in Adjabiya".

Mr al-Hasidi insisted his fighters "are patriots and good Muslims, not terrorists," but added that the "members of al-Qaeda are also good Muslims and are fighting against the invader".

His revelations came even as Idriss Deby Itno, Chad's president, said al-Qaeda had managed to pillage military arsenals in the Libyan rebel zone and acquired arms, "including surface-to-air missiles, which were then smuggled into their sanctuaries".

Mr al-Hasidi admitted he had earlier fought against "the foreign invasion" in Afghanistan, before being "captured in 2002 in Peshwar, in Pakistan". He was later handed over to the US, and then held in Libya before being released in 2008.

US and British government sources said Mr al-Hasidi was a member of the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group, or LIFG, which killed dozens of Libyan troops in guerrilla attacks around Derna and Benghazi in 1995 and 1996

http://tinyurl.com/4a89ea5

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

Edited by - Bill scott on 03/27/2011 05:33:56
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  05:31:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We are just getting ourselves deeper and deeper into a hole by trying to get involved in all the domestic issues of these Muslium countries. In Iraq we fight against al-Qaeda and they hate us while in Liyba we fight along side of them and they still hate us. We need to quit using our military as nation builders and the world’s policemen and go back to where their one and only purpose is to defend the boarders of the USA and not get involved with all these Muslum's domestic issues.

Sri Lankan Muslims beat and stamp on an effigy of U.S. President Barack Obama during a protest rally against the allied forces' air strike in Libya, in Colombo, Sri Lanka, Friday, March 25, 2011. NATO's military staff is drawing up detailed plans to assume full control of the no-fly zone over Libya in coming days, after member nations agreed to take on the operation from a U.S.-led coalition

http://tinyurl.com/6k2gsz2

Edited by - Bill scott on 03/27/2011 05:35:00
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  07:18:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Bill scott

We are just getting ourselves deeper and deeper into a hole by trying to get involved in all the domestic issues of these Muslium countries.
Yep.
In Iraq we fight against al-Qaeda and they hate us while in Liyba we fight along side of them and they still hate us.
You shouldn't go seeking the approval of fanatics.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  15:04:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

You shouldn't go seeking the approval of fanatics.

I would be happy if he was just seeking the approval of congress. I think they should be involved before the president decides to assit al-Queda in overthrowing a government.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  15:32:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I would be happy if he was just seeking the approval of congress.
Again: petition your duly elected representatives to change the law. You know you have the right to do so, yes?
I think they should be involved before the president decides to assit al-Queda in overthrowing a government.
So you're siding with an admitted terrorist who fought against the US in Iraq. Why do you hate America, Bill?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  18:27:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, this wasn't the first time the US assisted al-Qaeda....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_queada#Jihad_in_Afghanistan

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics
Go to Top of Page

alienist
Skeptic Friend

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  20:13:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send alienist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree the US should not be policeman to the world. The difference with Libya and the 1st Gulf war is that we are in a coalition with other countries and not leading the attacks. the drawbacks are of course money and image. There are some disadvantages in not joining other countries against Qaddaffi. Acc to history, when it comes to these kind of military actions, Congress is usually not consulted

The problems with getting rid of dictators, is that it can often lead to chaos in that country. However, Libya is different than Iraq is that it has a lot of different tribes and tribal alliances. It is important to remember each Arab and or Muslim country is different. There are probably more similarities between the US and the UK than there is between Libya and Iraq.

Al Qaeda is not anywhere close to being as organized as they were before 2001. I am more considered about Pakistan. There is also a concern about Iran, but I am not sure they can come up with nuclear weapons before thier economy fall apart. It is very difficult and expensive to build nuclear weapons and their delivery systems

These are just my random thoughts, so please excuse the disorganized presentation.

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well! - Joe Ancis
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2011 :  04:38:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Again: petition your duly elected representatives to change the law. You know you have the right to do so, yes?

And you petition yours. Maybe we can get that act reversed and make the president go before congress before bombing other countries, as we both agree he should.

I think they should be involved before the president decides to assit al-Queda in overthrowing a government.

So you're siding with an admitted terrorist who fought against the US in Iraq.

No. That was my whole point that you just agreed with. We don't need to be siding with anybody. Not the terrorist leader running the country and the not the terrorist organization trying to overthrow him. This is a domestic issue for Libya and we should not and cannot be getting involved in all these countries domestic issues with our military. We need to go back to using our military to defending the boarders against invading nations both here and abroad. No more of this being the world's policemen. And no more acting on orders from the UN and ignoring the congress. That action has now got us flying air cover and assisting al-Queda in Libya.

Why do you hate America, Bill?

OK now you are just being stupid for theatrics, why? I think we pretty much agree on this issue:

A: We should not even be there in the first place helping al-Queda

B: The president should have to go through congress before making such decisions as to bomb other countries.

Leaving this up to the UN and the president now has us flying air cover for al-Quada. As soon as the government is toppled al-Queda will turn on us as "the invaders" and now we have created yet another gorilla war with al-Queda. It's either that or just turn Libya over to al-Queda after the topple.

Edited by - Bill scott on 03/28/2011 04:58:23
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2011 :  05:33:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I agree the US should not be policeman to the world. The difference with Libya and the 1st Gulf war is that we are in a coalition with other countries and not leading the attacks. the drawbacks are of course money and image. There are some disadvantages in not joining other countries against Qaddaffi. Acc to history, when it comes to these kind of military actions, Congress is usually not consulted

The problems with getting rid of dictators, is that it can often lead to chaos in that country. However, Libya is different than Iraq is that it has a lot of different tribes and tribal alliances. It is important to remember each Arab and or Muslim country is different. There are probably more similarities between the US and the UK than there is between Libya and Iraq.

Al Qaeda is not anywhere close to being as organized as they were before 2001. I am more considered about Pakistan. There is also a concern about Iran, but I am not sure they can come up with nuclear weapons before thier economy fall apart. It is very difficult and expensive to build nuclear weapons and their delivery systems

These are just my random thoughts, so please excuse the disorganized presentation.

Our trouble seems to be everyone assumes that what comes in the vacuum of the current government when it falls will be better. No such guarantee exists. In fact, the evidence is now pointing to the fact that we seem to be helping al-queda topple the government by flying air cover for them. So here is my prediction for the out come. If and when we assist al-queda to the point where they topple the sitting government they will then turn their backs on us as "the infidel invaders" and we will then have two choices:

A. Leave Libya and allow the country to be taken over by different terrorists than the ones who now control it.

or

B. Commit ground troops to Libya to begin yet another gorilla war with al-Queda and their supporters.

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2011 :  07:25:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

A quick refresher for you on the US Constitution, the president of the United States does not need UN approval to declare war on any nation deemed a threat to the US.
A quick refresher on International Law: Loosing a pissing contest against a dictator does not constitute a clear and imminent threat to the safety and sovereignty of your country, and does not grant you the right to launch invasions. Iraq was not a military threat against neither USA nor its allies.

So why are we in Libya?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.