Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  07:23:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We're waaayyy behind my knowledge of anatomy. I am your prototypical jack-of-all-trades, master of none. I have just enough useless knowledge to maintain a minimum of social interactional skill.

I blame Asperger's. As good an excuse as any.

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  09:54:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Fripp

I have just enough useless knowledge to maintain a minimum of social interactional skill.
Trivial Pursuit champ?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  10:07:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

I have just enough useless knowledge to maintain a minimum of social interactional skill.
Trivial Pursuit champ?

How'd you guess? That and great at answering Jeopardy questions from the comfort of my couch.

When my girls see SFN on my laptop, they always snicker and mutter something about "Dad's nerd site".

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  10:14:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

When my girls see SFN on my laptop, they always snicker and mutter something about "Dad's nerd site".
Awesome!

Sounds like a T-shirt: "SFN - Fripp's Nerd Site"

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  10:52:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fripp's Nerd Site: same letters (SFN)

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  12:36:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here:
SKEPTIC
e  FRIENDS
e  r  NETWORK
   i  e
   p  r
   p  d
      o
      u
      t

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  15:58:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Here:
SKEPTIC
e  FRIENDS
e  r  NETWORK
   i  e
   p  r
   p  d
      o
      u
      t

Egggs-cellent Smithers (this should be easy: name the reference)

If I did that, my wife would say I have too much time on my hands.

BTW, my family didn't get the "binary-10 people in the world" joke.

They're so lame.

Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  17:45:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SFN= Site For Nerds :)

Oh, and there's a problem with that drone in sector 7G. :)

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  18:18:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by podcat

SFN= Site For Nerds :)
That's much better, since it's a lot less personal. Sorry, Fripp.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  18:40:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I say if it boosts his self esteem, let him use his SFN acronym. :)

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  21:26:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by flanagan1000

Stick back on topic.
Yeah, so this is tiring, as I noted in another thread. Just posting a link to a video or some poorly put-together webpage about some ridiculous idea and commenting "this is interesting" is not worth our time. In fact, I'll discuss it with the others, but if it comes up in the Conspiracy Theories folder again, I have half a mind to just lock it and be done with it.

I'm not against crazy ideas or theories-- just look in the archives at the (literally) thousands of posts regarding the surface of the sun and whether or not it's made of iron. Or look at the long "9/11 was an inside job" threads. The difference between those discussions and the rubbish you put forward is that most others actually bother to offer detail on why they believe that a particular idea-- an idea express on a video or crappy web page-- is true.

So quit with your style of posting and actually try to engage us in a discussion of whatever crazy new idea you've stumbled across. Otherwise, quit wasting our time.

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  21:38:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer
base 60 being the most you can count on two hands. (counting touching the pad, first knuckle, second pad, second knuckle, third pad, base of finger.)
Being someone who knows a bit about ancient Mesopotamian metrology, I have to say that I'm skeptical about attempts to explain why such-and-such population used such-and-such counting system.

Indeed, I feel like because humans often act irrationally, trying to get to why one thing happened over another is sometimes just impossible. Why did a people X do a thing Y? Was it for some logical reason? Or was it because the magicians looked at liver omens and said that Y was what the gods said? The former is something we can discern. The latter isn't. But if we always assume the former (i.e. rational) is governing the choices of people, we're bound to come up with some horribly wrong answers if it's the latter (irrational) that's leading the way.

I have no idea why Babylonians went base-60 in some of their counting (it's actually far more complex than that), but I doubt the "it's as high as they could count using various body parts" line works.

I don't know if this is the case now, but as a kid I heard it reasoned that "13" was unlucky because it was the "unknown" as early humans were working in base-12-- that is, 10 fingers and two feet. And it seems like a lot of the "why base X?" questions are resolved in that way. Which makes me think that none of them actually were.
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  22:06:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that most of what we discussed here can be broken off into separate topics. That said, this should be a rational discussion of where conspiracy theories like the one posed by flanagan came from and what use, if any, they have to a skeptic. When rational discussion of a topic is at an end, the thread should be locked, like Cuniformist said.

Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  05:43:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I need all the esteem I can get.

I am only f'ing with this guy's topics because he has been clogging the board with abject stupidity and he deserves no more serious attention than what I have given him, i.e. none.

Go to Top of Page

flanagan1000
Banned

413 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  11:52:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send flanagan1000 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did not know where to post this. But remember when we discussed about the thule society and I showed you that youutbe channel ofthat woman who was in regular contact with tthem. Well, I'm worried about her mental health as her recent videos she keeps going on about feeling lonely and scared, and in her latest video she shows her cut finger and keeps dropping crystals on her foott.

Anyway this video is perhaps the most weirdest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-eUlFTHfto&feature=channel_video_title

The second half is just her staring at the camera, but in the first few minutes she hars on about stargates. Something about Solomon's temple being underground somewhere near her friend. The 7 gates of hell to get to hell and the Annunaki, and something about 7+1=8 to do it. Very weird. What is it with stargate.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.