Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  08:54:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

More extra credit if you can explain why the Mayans used base-20 and the Babylonians used base-60.

Without looking it up, I haven't a clue. I'm all ears though...

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  10:08:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Fripp

Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

More extra credit if you can explain why the Mayans used base-20 and the Babylonians used base-60.

Without looking it up, I haven't a clue. I'm all ears though...

I believe it has to do with the same reason the current system is base 10.

base 20 being the maximum number coultable using all digits.

base 60 being the most you can count on two hands. (counting touching the pad, first knuckle, second pad, second knuckle, third pad, base of finger.)

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  10:15:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find it somewhat mind-boggling to consider that we humans may be the only creatures in the universe that use base-ten, yet I'm sure that most, if not all of us, assume that all of the universe is based on base-ten, that base-ten numbering is as universal a constant as, say, "gravity attracts".

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  10:54:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I find it somewhat mind-boggling to consider that we humans may be the only creatures in the universe that use base-ten, yet I'm sure that most, if not all of us, assume that all of the universe is based on base-ten, that base-ten numbering is as universal a constant as, say, "gravity attracts".
I'm sure that most of us don't even think about it. Most of us get taught base ten, and don't get far enough in math classes to learn that there are other bases. Or at least not why we use base 10 instead of some other base. So it's less an assumption than it is "that's all I learned."

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  11:16:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.
I'm sure that most of us don't even think about it. Most of us get taught base ten, and don't get far enough in math classes to learn that there are other bases. Or at least not why we use base 10 instead of some other base. So it's less an assumption than it is "that's all I learned."

I agree completely. Some of the words I chose in that last post (like "assume") probably weren't the most concise to convey my point. But when I learned binary and hex (FYI, I am quite possibly the world's worst programmer) and when it was made obvious to me why we use base-ten ("well, duh, of course"), I started to think about the assumption of base-ten is nearly as universal as three-meals-a-day is here in the USA.

Interesting if one looks at it in a completely objective way. Or maybe not...

Go to Top of Page

flanagan1000
Banned

413 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  11:36:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send flanagan1000 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stick back on topic.
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  11:49:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who the fuck are you, punk? Answer why 11-11-11 has any fucking significance.

Go to Top of Page

flanagan1000
Banned

413 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  12:19:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send flanagan1000 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Look at the original pot and the link prvided. Don't swear at me!
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  12:30:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And then of course, in the interest of dragging things further off topic, the Kzinti use a base eight system.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  12:33:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is their reasoning? The Kzinti? African?

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  14:26:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I agree completely. Some of the words I chose in that last post (like "assume") probably weren't the most concise to convey my point. But when I learned binary and hex (FYI, I am quite possibly the world's worst programmer) and when it was made obvious to me why we use base-ten ("well, duh, of course"), I started to think about the assumption of base-ten is nearly as universal as three-meals-a-day is here in the USA.
Heh. There are 10 kind of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Using just one's fingers, one can count to 1,023 in binary.

...if one has excellent muscle control. I've just discovered I can't bend my pinkie without also bending my ring finger. But I can bend my ring finger without bending my pinkie. I wonder what sort of tendon/muscle arrangement causes that phenomenon.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Hal
Skeptic Friend

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  14:36:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hal a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Heh. There are 10 kind of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Using just one's fingers, one can count to 1,023 in binary.

...if one has excellent muscle control. I've just discovered I can't bend my pinkie without also bending my ring finger. But I can bend my ring finger without bending my pinkie. I wonder what sort of tendon/muscle arrangement causes that phenomenon.

I know it's a joke that's been forwarded around for years, but this actually did happen to me. One time I was working through a bit-mapping issue on a white-board, casually switching from binary to hex and back, when a colleague asked me, "Do you just memorize all those binary numbers, or is there a pattern?"
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  16:49:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are 10 kind of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

IT humor. Love it.

I believe they share the same tendon connection. In the world of gripping and crushing strength, guys will train their fingers individually, but never bother to try and train the pinkie separate from the ring finger in terms of gross motor movement. But for fine, delicate tasks (playing piano, fretting guitar) the pinkie has some degree of independence, but nothing on the order of the other fingers.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  19:01:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hal

"Do you just memorize all those binary numbers, or is there a pattern?"
Ha! I'd never heard that one before. Awesome.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  06:56:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I believe they share the same tendon connection. In the world of gripping and crushing strength, guys will train their fingers individually, but never bother to try and train the pinkie separate from the ring finger in terms of gross motor movement. But for fine, delicate tasks (playing piano, fretting guitar) the pinkie has some degree of independence, but nothing on the order of the other fingers.
If the major knuckles are the first knuckles, then I can bend ring fingers and pinkie fingers independently at the 1st knuckle, no problem. I can bend my ring fingers at the 2nd knuckle without bending any other fingers or joints (interestingly, doing so seems to force the relaxation of the 3rd knuckle of the ring finger). I cannot bend my pinkie at the 2nd knuckle without a) bending the pinkie at the 3rd knuckle, and b) bending the ring finger at the 2nd knuckle. I can't bend any fingers at the 3rd knuckle without also bending them at the 2nd knuckle, unless you count thumbs as fingers. It's even difficult to use my other hand to bend my 3rd knuckles without bending the 2nd knuckles unless I bend the whole finger backwards at the 1st knuckle (but even that doesn't work for the pinkie finger). This stuff is just fascinating, now.

[Otto] They call 'em fingers, but I've never seen 'em fing. [/Otto]

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds.