Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  06:11:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The problem with this line of reasonong, especially for the believer, is that it negates one's ability to claim that God is Good. If it is impossible to know the mind of God, it is therefore impossible to determine if His actions are good or bad. If apparently bad actions could actually be good, than the reverse is possible.
There goes most of the Christian apologetic industry.

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman
Go to Top of Page

Convinced
Skeptic Friend

USA
384 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  06:47:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Convinced a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by leoofno

The problem with this line of reasonong, especially for the believer, is that it negates one's ability to claim that God is Good. If it is impossible to know the mind of God, it is therefore impossible to determine if His actions are good or bad. If apparently bad actions could actually be good, than the reverse is possible.
If your presupposition is that the Bible is God's word then you can claim to not know the full mind of God and claim God is good.

Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. (Eph 5:15-17)
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  06:50:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I suspect that apologists like this guy are more interested in promoting belief in a really scary, unknowable god, than that in that sappy Jesus stuff. God the Father in this case is being portrayed like an alcoholic father who, when he comes home, you never know what he's going to do. Sadly, plenty of people know that kind of Big Daddy.

Emphasizing the stick over the carrot would be a kind of apologetics, too, don't you think? If people are refusing to buy into the questionable delights of heaven, maybe an unpredictable Hell-god will still scare some of them into filling the pews and collection plates.

(I kind of alluded, in inverse fashion, to that outlook in one of my Jack Chick parodies):

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 06/19/2012 07:38:58
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  09:23:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Convinced

If your presupposition is that the Bible is God's word then you can claim to not know the full mind of God and claim God is good.
Only if you believe that God isn't a liar. If the Bible is God's Word and God is a liar, then the Bible is worthless for determining if God is good. In other words, you have to presuppose that God is good (or at least, not a liar) to base any other conclusions on the Bible. Leave out that step, and the argument necessarily becomes circular.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  09:47:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Only if you believe that God isn't a liar. If the Bible is God's Word and God is a liar, then the Bible is worthless for determining if God is good. In other words, you have to presuppose that God is good (or at least, not a liar) to base any other conclusions on the Bible. Leave out that step, and the argument necessarily becomes circular.

Any lies attributed to God are the creations of man. Afterall God is incapable of error and has always been at war with Eastasia.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Convinced
Skeptic Friend

USA
384 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  10:08:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Convinced a Private Message  Reply with Quote

No, I base the claim that God cannot lie on the Bible. Nu 23:19, Titus 1:1-2 for example. I presuppose the bible is true and therefore I know God cannot lie and that he is good.

Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. (Eph 5:15-17)
Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  10:15:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Exactly. All the Christian arguments that God is good, and that we should worship him, are for naught.
(Another display of your unimpeachable reasoning. )

Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  10:17:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message  Reply with Quote

No, I base the claim that God cannot lie on the Bible. Nu 23:19, Titus 1:1-2 for example. I presuppose the bible is true and therefore I know God cannot lie and that he is good.

The reasoning here is so circular I'm gettind dizzy.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  10:45:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

No, I base the claim that God cannot lie on the Bible. Nu 23:19, Titus 1:1-2 for example. I presuppose the bible is true...
No, you don't. Not completely. You're not a literalist.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Convinced
Skeptic Friend

USA
384 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  10:51:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Convinced a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You likely have used reason to determine that reason is the best way to find truth.

I base my belief that the Bible is true on that it contains a reliable collection of documents that were written by eyewitnesses that report events that are supernatural and fulfill specific prophecies. These writers also claim that their writings are divine in nature and not human ideas.

Let’s say you are playing a softball game with 10 friends and family watching. Suddenly a policeman comes and arrests you because he thinks you robbed the convenience store down the road. You get to trial and your attorney finds the 10 witnesses to the game you were in and they all say you were there playing softball and could not have possibly robbed the store. Wouldn't most reasonable people on the jury acquit you based on these 10 witnesses? I think so.

More than 500 people were eyewitnesses to Jesus resurrection.

What do you base your circular reasoning on? (assuming you have reasoned that reason is the best way to test truth claims)

Go to Top of Page

Convinced
Skeptic Friend

USA
384 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  10:55:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Convinced a Private Message  Reply with Quote

No, I base the claim that God cannot lie on the Bible. Nu 23:19, Titus 1:1-2 for example. I presuppose the bible is true...
I am unless the text clearly indicates otherwise. There is no good reason to come to the conclusion that the many bible verses that say god is not a liar is some kind of metaphore or hyperbole.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  11:29:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I base my belief that the Bible is true on that it contains a reliable collection of documents...
How do you know it's reliable?
...that were written by eyewitnesses...
How do you know the authors were eyewitnesses?
...that report events that are supernatural and fulfill specific prophecies.
How do you know that the reports weren't written specifically to appear to fulfill those commonly-known prophecies in an attempt to defraud Jewish people?
These writers also claim that their writings are divine in nature and not human ideas.
And nobody can make such a claim without lying?
Let’s say you are playing a softball game with 10 friends and family watching. Suddenly a policeman comes and arrests you because he thinks you robbed the convenience store down the road. You get to trial and your attorney finds the 10 witnesses to the game you were in and they all say you were there playing softball and could not have possibly robbed the store. Wouldn't most reasonable people on the jury acquit you based on these 10 witnesses? I think so.

Only according to the Bible. Your ten-witness analogy has ten independent witnesses. Try, "your honor, 500 people saw me playing softball, and while none of them can be here today, they wrote their names in this book," and see if you get acquitted. In other words, the Bible would be considered hearsay.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  11:33:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I am unless the text clearly indicates otherwise.
Where does the text clearly indicate that the first books of Genesis are myths?
There is no good reason to come to the conclusion that the many bible verses that say god is not a liar is some kind of metaphore or hyperbole.
Could a person have good reasons to conclude that the people who wrote the verses that say god is not a liar were themselves lying, or lied to, or confused, or merely engaging in wishful thinking?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  11:52:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You likely have used reason to determine that reason is the best way to find truth.

I base my belief that the Bible is true on that it contains a reliable collection of documents that were written by eyewitnesses that report events that are supernatural and fulfill specific prophecies. These writers also claim that their writings are divine in nature and not human ideas.

What do you base your circular reasoning on? (assuming you have reasoned that reason is the best way to test truth claims)

You believe that God is Good because it says so in the bible. You believe that the bible is true because it is the Word of God. You believe the Word of God is true because God is Good. You believe that God is Good because it says so in the bible. You believe that the bible is true because it is the Word of God. You believe the Word of God is true because God is Good. You believe that God is Good because it says so in the bible. You believe that the bible is true because it is the Word of God. You believe the Word of God is true because God is Good. You believe that God is Good because it says so in the bible. You believe that the bible is true because it is the Word of God. You believe the Word of God is true because God is Good...and so on...

The bible is a collection of highly unreliable stories. It gets things wrong right from the get-go in Genesis. It does not get better as it progresses.

Just because a book, or series of books, claims to be true doesn't mean it is. The fact that it is so often in error is good "reason" to distrust its claims to truth.

Go to Top of Page

Convinced
Skeptic Friend

USA
384 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  11:56:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Convinced a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I am unless the text clearly indicates otherwise.
Where does the text clearly indicate that the first books of Genesis are myths?
It doesn't.

Could a person have good reasons to conclude that the people who wrote the verses that say god is not a liar were themselves lying, or lied to, or confused, or merely engaging in wishful thinking?
Could. But I don't think so. I think there is ample reason to believe the stories are accurate. Which I can explain when I respond to your first post.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.83 seconds.