Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  22:55:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whew! Michelle and I voted together, went for dinner, and I get home and it's over. LOL I really expected a long night! Now I'm doing the happy dance.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  22:59:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Romney's concession speech seems to be 30 seconds of concession and many minutes of thank-yous to various people.

Oh, wait... now he's finally saying we need to come together and "reach across the aisle."

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  23:01:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I having to much pleasure from the election results, the pain Republican's are feeling and Faux news' sad faces are icing on the cake.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  23:03:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

I having to much pleasure from the election results, the pain Republican's are feeling and Faux news' sad faces are icing on the cake.
Obama ate their kitteh.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  23:05:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Romney's concession speech seems to be 30 seconds of concession and many minutes of thank-yous to various people.

Oh, wait... now he's finally saying we need to come together and "reach across the aisle."
Boiler-plate platitudes, per tradition. I did laugh at Romney thanking Paul Ryan for his nonexistent "help."

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  23:07:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, by 2016, the American People will have been enjoying the full benefits of Obamacare for two years. Will any serious Republican candidate for President campaign on a repeal platform then?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  23:09:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FOX is finally calling Virginia for Obama.

Florida is still too close to call.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  23:14:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

FOX is finally calling Virginia for Obama.

Florida is still too close to call.
Chad again?

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  23:15:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

But key demographics like voting by young people show changes are coming.
I certainly hope so! Romney would have shut down planned parenthood and like a shark taken meat out of Social Security down the road.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  23:20:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the reasons Virginia took so long was that state election officials decided that people who were in line waiting to vote when the polling places officially closed at 7 PM would still be able to cast votes. (Took me 90 minutes from entrance to exit, but I voted this morning.)

I don't know if the same thing is going on in Florida, but Micah Cohen said at midnight:
One of the closest battleground states yet to be decided is Florida, where President Obama leads Mitt Romney — with 96 percent of precincts reporting — by roughly half a percentage point.

Most of the counties have reported most of their results, but one fairly large chunk of ballots that has yet to be counted is in Miami-Dade County, where 83 percent of precincts have reported. Miami-Dade County is heavily Hispanic and favorable terrain for Mr. Obama. He currently leads Mr. Romney there, 62 percent to 37 percent.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  23:27:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I'm already up way past bedtime.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  23:33:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Okay, I'm already up way past bedtime.
And I'm missing my old geezer's mid-day nap.

Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2012 :  00:44:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Obama practically swept the swing states... wow.

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2012 :  00:56:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, that wasn't nearly as bad as I feared. I really did expect this to be a drawn-out affair. It's good to know the system hasn't completely broken down.

Right around the time television stations started to declare Obama the winner, the wife and I flipped to FOX news to see how they were taking things. The amount of spin they were doing trying to pretend Ohio was still potentially in play was comical and cringe-inducing at the same time. They questioned the math. They posed doubtful questions to the experts. It reeked of desperateness. Even after they decidedly called the race in Obama's favor, the anchors were quick to point out that Obama was behind in the popular vote. They also conveniently omitted any mention that this was largely due to the fact that California's votes had not been counted yet at that point. Once the results from the Golden State came in and Obama pulled ahead, they dropped the issue.

Right before going to commercial, one FOX anchor threw out a quick fact: this election was the most "tweeted" election in history. My wife burst out laughing. "More tweeted than the Lincoln-Douglas debates?" she asked incredulously. Twitter is a recent fad, of course this is the most tweeted election. What a stupid thing to point out. But Fox wasn't done! After the commercial break, a female reporter came on and did an entire segment about election tweets. Which keywords were popular with which demographic. Which keywords were trending. What times the most tweets occurred. Etc. She had charts and graphs and used jargon like "twitter storm." It was preposterously inane. She didn't even mention Trump's epic twitter meltdown in which he called the election a "sham," claimed the world was laughing at us, and encouraged people to march on Washington to stop this "travesty." He even called for a revolution. Seriously. It makes me smile to think about the Don going purple in the face, toupee sagging to one side, using two fingers to pound out increasingly angry messages of 140 characters or less.

A little later in the evening, after the fact of defeat really began to sink in for the FOX crew, several analysts were interviewed to explain how everything could have gone so wrong. The conclusion? Romney ran a campaign that was too classy and honorable. Because he refused to get down in the mud with Obama and stoop to his level of negative campaigning, Romney doomed himself. They said this about Romney! The guy who ran one of the most shamelessly dishonest campaigns in memory. They really do live on another planet over there.

I have another theory on why Romney lost. You could see in on every Republican face that crowded the hall to support him. They were almost entirely white. When the news put up side-by-side shots of the two rallies, the total lack of Republican diversity was starkly evident. And that's what sunk them.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 11/07/2012 00:58:49
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2012 :  01:18:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

. . .

I have another theory on why Romney lost. You could see in on every Republican face that crowded the hall to support him. They were almost entirely white. When the news put up side-by-side shots of the two rallies, the total lack of Republican diversity was starkly evident. And that's what sunk them.
Agreed!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.