New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2013 :  09:04:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"And then why do witches burn. Hmmm.."
"Because they're made of wood?"
"So how do you tell if she is made of wood?"
"Eh, build a bridge out of 'er?"
"But can not you also build bridges out of stone?"
"Oh yeah"
"Does wood sink in water?"
"No, no it floats... Throw her into the pond!"
"Wait! What also floats in water?"
"Umm.. Very small rocks, churches, lead!"
"A duck"
"Precisely!"
"So logically..."
"If she weighs the same as a duck, then she's made outta wood."
"And therefore..."
"She's a witch!"

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2013 :  16:15:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Love to have a skeptic at a seance or even better live in a supposed haunted house for a year.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2013 :  16:56:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm game.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2013 :  05:58:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do it and let me know how it goes. use all your skeptical no how. try a haunted place for a year. See what happens.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2013 :  06:14:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Storm

Do it and let me know how it goes. use all your skeptical no how. try a haunted place for a year. See what happens.

Storm,

She is accepting your offer. Now you have to provide the venue.

Otherwise, it is a request for a skeptic to undergo expense for your homework.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2013 :  07:39:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Love to have a skeptic at a seance or even better live in a supposed haunted house for a year.
Why a year, what would that prove after a year? And Harry Houdini went to quite a few seances. Originally to make contact with his dead mother. In spite of his starting out a believer his skeptical inquiry lead him to the truth that it's all wishful thinking and bullshit fertilized fraud that he could duplicate himself. It's still not clear to me if he was absolutely convinced there was no afterlife or just that all the mediums that he examined were frauds.

Like the James Randi of his day, "In the fall of 1925, Houdini opened a new full-evening show that included his debunking of psychics and mediums." In every city he performed in, "Houdini offered $10,000 to anyone who could exhibit supernatural phenomena that he could not mirror". Not exactly the same challenge but still with all the "specially gifted" mediums that others are so sure exist, even today, the were no takers of his cash.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2013 :  07:44:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Siberia

I'm game.
You could use a cello for protection. I'd bet C sharp sends the flying in terror.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2013 :  09:36:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hauntings usually happen within a year and happen when people are going about there daily lives. not in a darkened reality show where everyone is yelling. Those kind of results only yield mind over matter.

Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2013 :  12:38:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hauntings usually happen within a year and happen when people are going about there daily lives. not in a darkened reality show where everyone is yelling. Those kind of results only yield mind over matter.
Already suggested by Kil here.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2013 :  15:53:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

Originally posted by Siberia

I'm game.
You could use a cello for protection. I'd bet C sharp sends the flying in terror.

I shall ward off the ghosts with the power of my delightfully dissonant (for now) cello playing.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2013 :  15:42:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did not mean I would have a seance or explore a haunted house. I do not do those things anymore. Only if it comes up. I am saying in general have a skeptic sit in on a seance or better yet investigate a haunted house. without the mumbo jumbo of a reality show.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2013 :  16:58:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I did not mean I would have a seance or explore a haunted house. I do not do those things anymore. Only if it comes up. I am saying in general have a skeptic sit in on a seance or better yet investigate a haunted house. without the mumbo jumbo of a reality show.
Joe Nickell has done that.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

teched246
Skeptic Friend

123 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2013 :  05:43:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send teched246 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excuse me, but the author of the popular series, The Hunger Games, is from what town again? In the series, members of which age group partake and get killed in rituals?

"For all things have been baptized in the well of eternity and are beyond good
and evil; and good and evil themselves are but intervening shadows and damp
depressions and drifting clouds.Verily, it is a blessing and not a blasphemy
when I teach: ‘Over all things stand the heaven Accident, the heaven
Innocence, the heaven Chance, the heaven Prankishness." -Nietzsche
Edited by - teched246 on 05/15/2013 05:48:32
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2013 :  06:32:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by teched246

Excuse me, but the author of the popular series, The Hunger Games, is from what town again? In the series, members of which age group partake and get killed in rituals?

You know, you shouldn't base your opinions on the world on fictional programs.

Precisely what are you driving at?

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

teched246
Skeptic Friend

123 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2013 :  07:35:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send teched246 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

Originally posted by teched246

You know, you shouldn't base your opinions on the world on fictional programs.

Precisely what are you driving at?

Asking questions is making opinions?

"For all things have been baptized in the well of eternity and are beyond good
and evil; and good and evil themselves are but intervening shadows and damp
depressions and drifting clouds.Verily, it is a blessing and not a blasphemy
when I teach: ‘Over all things stand the heaven Accident, the heaven
Innocence, the heaven Chance, the heaven Prankishness." -Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.