Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2013 :  09:17:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way. I think Barbara is right in theory. But if the investigation didn't allow Stollznow and Baxter to rebut Radford, then there was something wrong with the investigation, and not the concept of protecting both parties until a conclusion is arrived at. This is a system failure on the part of the CFI investigation and Baxter has a right to be pissed off about it.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2013 :  09:30:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Originally posted by tomk80

I see on the facebook page that people keep pointing to PZ as the one who outed Ben Redford. He wasn't the one that did that.
True. He reported to a much larger readership than the tweet.
Murphy's tweet included hashtags "#skeptic #atheist #shame." How many people follow at least one of them?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2013 :  09:33:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I never made the assumption that the list would be extraordinarily long from what she had written previously. I always thought it was a small number of people. But that might just be me.
I was agreeing with you. You said, "Well, here you have them," and I was saying, "yes, all of them."

Just in case someone reading was wondering how many more shoes are still in states of high potential energy.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2013 :  10:07:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

I never made the assumption that the list would be extraordinarily long from what she had written previously. I always thought it was a small number of people. But that might just be me.
I was agreeing with you. You said, "Well, here you have them," and I was saying, "yes, all of them."

Just in case someone reading was wondering how many more shoes are still in states of high potential energy.

Okay, than I misread you.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2013 :  10:23:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave:
Murphy's tweet included hashtags "#skeptic #atheist #shame." How many people follow at least one of them?

Yeah. Maybe there were more people who saw that. I dunno. But Myers blog has more impact on the community. (Communities?) It might be misinformation that the news was first reported by Myers. But that's what I thought too, as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2013 :  12:14:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

But Myers blog has more impact on the community. (Communities?) It might be misinformation that the news was first reported by Myers. But that's what I thought too, as mentioned earlier in this thread.
I'm having trouble figuring out why it'd even be an issue had Myers been first. Would it have been better if Stollznow had tweeted it first? Better still if she'd named him in the blog piece along with all the other info?

Ian Murphy tweeted Radford's name because he had lunch with Stollznow and asked her if it'd be okay for him to do so. Apparently, she said, "yes," so it's clear she wanted Radford publicly named, and so I suppose she would have eventually done so herself. So why would Myers doing so be a problem in any way, regardless the timing?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2013 :  12:25:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Kil

But Myers blog has more impact on the community. (Communities?) It might be misinformation that the news was first reported by Myers. But that's what I thought too, as mentioned earlier in this thread.
I'm having trouble figuring out why it'd even be an issue had Myers been first. Would it have been better if Stollznow had tweeted it first? Better still if she'd named him in the blog piece along with all the other info?

Ian Murphy tweeted Radford's name because he had lunch with Stollznow and asked her if it'd be okay for him to do so. Apparently, she said, "yes," so it's clear she wanted Radford publicly named, and so I suppose she would have eventually done so herself. So why would Myers doing so be a problem in any way, regardless the timing?
I've already explained why I had a problem with Myers post. I happened to have been wrong. I didn't know that Stollznow had given permission to anyone when I objected.

After she wrote that article/blog, I felt that the respectful thing to do would be to have her permission first. And since her permission had been granted, I withdrew my complaint.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2013 :  13:43:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2013 :  14:15:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to PZ, he now has an anonymous corroborating account of Michael Shermer's behavior, from someone who does not particularly like him.

The fact that these accounts are so far not public remains something I am a bit uncomfortable with, but that can't be helped.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2013 :  16:47:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jason Thibeault: The web of trust: Why I believe Shermer’s accusers
Humans place a high priority on preventing breaches of trust in interactions — the script goes, if someone is a known scam artist, we take pains to inform people to watch out for their tricks (and thus the entire skeptic movement was born). If someone is a known thief, we take pains to inform people to stow their valuables in their presence. But for some reason, when we talk about rape and sexual assault, the desire to warn people to be wary around them is superceded by fears that any particular warning might be *wrong*, because then you’re doing damage to a person without good cause...

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2013 :  17:44:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

According to PZ, he now has an anonymous corroborating account of Michael Shermer's behavior, from someone who does not particularly like him.
I had pronoun trouble with this until I read PZ's update. The person doesn't particularly like PZ Myers. I first read the "him" as referring to Shermer.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2013 :  17:55:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I had pronoun trouble with this until I read PZ's update. The person doesn't particularly like PZ Myers. I first read the "him" as referring to Shermer.

I can see that. I should stop typing when I'm tired

Tom

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2013 :  06:00:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jim C. Hines:

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2013 :  09:32:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sigh...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2013 :  06:35:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mew.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds.