Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  09:01:30  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Well today I got some pretty bad news. My cat of 15yrs has a brain tumor. I had known something was going on.. she had been losing her coordination... circling... How sad I am.. her name is Freyja.. Named after the Norse God of Love and Magick... she came to me on a night that I had just performed a full moon circle in Honor of the Norse Diety ..How apra po....
As I sit in contemplation this day.. I have realized that some of the major events in my life have been in preperation for a significant loss in my life... In 1996 when I became certified by Hospice..My father Died.... Now as I have become grief counselor at the Animal Hospital....My cat will die...I have yet to think about how when in January I start At Canyon College for my certification in Grief Counseling what will I be prepared for next..Especially coming of the heels of my mother phoning me to say she must return to the Hopsital because she is having heart problems....
I do believe that my life...my path has been chosen to cousel others through their time of grief...
But who counsels the Grief Conselor? As we speak mom has just called again...
but any way I found this pretty cool site... and I thought we could discuss this particular subject....
http://www.themystica.com/mystica/articles/a/anthropomorphic_personification.html
Maybe you guys could cheer me up somehow....

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  10:18:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Storm

Well today I got some pretty bad news. My cat of 15yrs has a brain tumor. I had known something was going on.. she had been losing her coordination... circling... How sad I am.. her name is Freyja.. Named after the Norse God of Love and Magick... she came to me on a night that I had just performed a full moon circle in Honor of the Norse Diety ..How apra po....

I am sorry for your impending loss. It is very tough to lose a pet of such a duration. I have a 14 year old Australian Sheperd mix whose passing I am not looking forward to. But she is a very old dog for her size (85 lbs) and she is sleeping more and more. (When I'm 90+, I'll probably be the same way.)

quote:

As I sit in contemplation this day.. I have realized that some of the major events in my life have been in preperation for a significant loss in my life... In 1996 when I became certified by Hospice..My father Died.... Now as I have become grief counselor at the Animal Hospital....My cat will die...I have yet to think about how when in January I start At Canyon College for my certification in Grief Counseling what will I be prepared for next..Especially coming of the heels of my mother phoning me to say she must return to the Hopsital because she is having heart problems....

The two are probably unrelated. I would counsel you not to read too much into this.

quote:

I do believe that my life...my path has been chosen to cousel others through their time of grief...
But who counsels the Grief Conselor?

This may be scientific, but you have chosen your path because you want to help people. And in some circumstances events transpired to help you empathise with your intended subjects far better than someone who just reads about it.

As for who counsels the grief counselor, you can express yourself here anonymously or to close friends and your spouse/significant other. We're all human. Even the greif counselors need someone to talk to in order to work through loss.

And please don't look for a deeper meaning behind the correlation between your chosen field of study and the losses in your life. Sometimes things happen that are coincidental. Sometimes there is no lesson we need to learn from the loss. I learned that when the three year old son of my then girlfriend passed in 1997.

quote:
As we speak mom has just called again...
but any way I found this pretty cool site... and I thought we could discuss this particular subject....
http://www.themystica.com/mystica/articles/a/anthropomorphic_personification.html
Maybe you guys could cheer me up somehow....

Get your hench on

http://archive.gamespy.com/comics/nodwick/gamespyarchive/newnodwick.html

And I swear I've played RPG's with these guys

http://www.kenzerco.com/periodicals/kodt/kodtonline_current.php

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  10:43:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer
quote:
I am sorry for your impending loss. It is very tough to lose a pet of such a duration

Thank You very much for your words. It is very tough....
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer
quote:
And please don't look for a deeper meaning behind the correlation between your chosen field of study and the losses in your life. Sometimes things happen that are coincidental. Sometimes there is no lesson we need to learn from the loss. I learned that when the three year old son of my then girlfriend passed in 1997.

Of course there is a deeper meaning. Life is full of deeper meanings and it is usually through loss that we look for them...contemplate them... The loss of a child Valiant is the most dreadfull and painful loss of all... I cannot imagine the pain...Just to imagine it ....is unbearable...

Blessed are those who mourn for they will be comforted....But let us talk more of Anthropromorphic..It talks of energy...this is what I have been talking about with Ghosts...
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  12:22:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Poor little kitty. I hope he goes peacefully. I'm sorry to hear that. Can we do anything for you? Post your feelings, I am here to listen.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  13:07:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Aww, I'm truly sorry, Storm... I know I'd be a walking wreck if my (eleven-year-old) pup died...

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  13:14:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Sorry to hear about the cat. My cat, named Cat sometimes followed by "Dammit!", is pushing some 17 years and is comatose most of the time. She is healthy, but can't have too much farther to go. She was my first and only kitty and will be the last. I will miss her never the less.

We do get attached to them, don't we?

As for life being a preparation for death: no. Both life and death are process' of nature, as enevitable as taxes and Republican sleeze. It has yet to be shown that there is anything afterward.

I think that grief counciling is a marvelous occupation.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  16:52:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
Sorry about your cat and I hope that your mother feels better soon.

quote:
Originally posted by Storm

....But let us talk more of Anthropromorphic..It talks of energy...this is what I have been talking about with Ghosts...

Ok

quote:
Numerous interactions with spiritual and transdimesional realms and entities have been recorded, ...

Which are nothing more than the testimonials of an unnamed source(s). I'm not sure why these assertions by Leilah Wendell should be considered compelling.

quote:
Humanity needs to brings its "deities" down to a comfortable level for interaction, and they are often found ready to accommodate us.

Really?

quote:
The personification of an entity lies in the realm of physics that mankind has not yet the ability to comprehend, let alone measure.

Then Leilah must be lying since she claims the existence of something she has no way of proving.

quote:
... spiritual energy ... psychokenesis ... telekenetic energy ... underdeveloped energy emissions ... transdimensional physics

and the footer contains a copyright. I'm sure Leilah is sincere in her belief, but she has only done the easy part.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  17:59:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Sorry to hear about the cat. My cat, named Cat sometimes followed by "Dammit!", is pushing some 17 years and is comatose most of the time. She is healthy, but can't have too much farther to go. She was my first and only kitty and will be the last. I will miss her never the less.

As for life being a preparation for death: no. Both life and death are process' of nature, as enevitable as taxes and Republican sleeze. It has yet to be shown that there is anything afterward.

My sentiments exactly.

Though god knows that you and I Storm, have boundless philosophical differences I do hope that we can be of some emotional support during this time.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Edited by - the_ignored on 12/16/2005 18:01:29
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  19:20:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
Well today I got some pretty bad news. My cat of 15yrs has a brain tumor.

Bummer

It sucks to lose pets. They become (if you let them) a part of your family and life, and when they die its like losing a family member.

Always an unpleasant experience, at best.

Sorry to hear about the impending loss of your cat Storm, and I hope you mom is feeling better soon. Modern medicine can do some wonders with the old heart, so make sure she gets a good doctor.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  11:11:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
Sorry to hear about your cat, Storm. And I hope your mom gets the proper medical care.

I read the page you linked to.

quote:
The personification of an entity lies in the realm of physics that mankind has not yet the ability to comprehend, let alone measure.

This may be true, although there is no evidence to support it. Of course the inability to comprehend or measure doesn't stop Leilah from stating definitively in the very next sentence:

quote:
Simply put, manifestation involves focused energy, transmuted into molecules that are shaped and densified into a humanly visible, and often tangible form.

Doesn't it strike you as odd that she claims to know what she just claimed we don't know?

quote:
All spiritual energy is originally formless, as once we all were.

Evidence please.

quote:
Imagine, for a moment, what mastery a highly evolved spiritual or transdimensional being can have over the energy that is its very life force! It can easily condense its molecular structure so that mortal eyes can perceive its densified form; and it can, with just as much ease, recreate a particular countenance so that humanity will readily recognize its function and intent.

Leilah seems to have a pretty vivid imagination!

quote:
While most humans do not have the ability (or perhaps, do not use the ability) to alter the laws of "known" physics, other entities do have that ability, (It would be arrogant for us to think that we know all there is to know about the physics of the universe, let alone transdimensional physics)

Just because we don't know all there is to know, does not mean that anything you can imagine must be true.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  15:00:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Storm, you have my condolances.

Perhaps it's a good thing that you know what's about to happen. That way you can prepare yourself and your family of impending loss.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  23:43:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

Hey Filthy! How's it going?
If people were honest they'd admit it's the Democrats who are the morons messing things up. And taxes wouldn't be forced upon us if we all vote Libertarian but let's not get into that now.
: )

Storm, I get much too emotional when I hear stories like yours. There isn't much one can say but sorry to hear about it. We do understand though.
I'm still grieving for my best friend, a Dalmatian from my childhood, that was many, many years ago. As of most recent, when my German Shepherd mix passed away I swore I never would go through that again but my son wanted a dog and a couple of years later we got Woody our Cocker Spaniel whom I love so very much, he's a joy. I'm on a Cocker Yahoo E-group where we all talk about various Cocker related subjects and at times comfort each other when one of our beloved furie friends passes. It helps to know others understand.
My main suggestion is, getting another cat is helpful. Knowing that you could rescue someone else is a good feeling. You have someone to be with and care for and you know you've helped save a life. They never take the place of anyone else you just add more love.
nlm
CuriousCreations.com
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  03:00:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Hiya Snake.....

Oh, just livin' along, livin' along.

Y'know, I never wanted a cat; my kids did and we adopted an abandoned kitten, not even weaned (but spayed the instant she was old anough). And then the kids left home and cat remained behind, and where have we heard that one before? These days when I am house-bound a fair amount of the time, she is a good companion. She's quite old now and it will be a sad day when she dies.

I will not replace her. I will miss her sorely, but I still don't much want a cat other than the one I have.

A couple of years ago, I got a call asking if I wanted, or could find a home for a good-sized boa constrictor -- I do a fair amount of that, mostly with venomous. I replied that I didn't, but most likely I could and the next day, she brought the snake here. It was a gorgeous animal in excellent condition, and about 9 feet long. And as strong as ox wishes it was, which was why she was getting rid of it. It had become not easy and even slightly dangerous to handle. I locked it up in the spare bedroom, and got on the phone.

In due course, I found a small, private zoo with a good reputation that would accept the snake (and has taken a couple of others, nonvenomous, off my hands since). I reported this happy state of affairs to the lady and she thanked me. I found out later that she drops in to visit her boa on about a monthly basis.

I rather suspect that in a very few more years, I'll be getting another call from her concerning yet another unmanagable serpent.

We do get attached to them, and not just the cute & fluffies. Which causes me to wonder.... why do people get a puppy and than chain it up outside, and pay little attention to it? If the animal is such a nuisance, would it not be better not to have it at all?

And the same with cats. I firmly believe that one cat is a wonderful creature to share your home with; two cats are ok, but more cats than that is uncivilized. Suddenly, keeping them becomes an ornerous chore relative to how many you have, and a pet/companion should not be like that. The same holds with that pathetic dog chained up behind some idiot's shed.

I'd better stop here. I feel this turning into a rant.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  05:08:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:

Hiya Snake.....

Oh, just livin' along, livin' along.

Y'know, I never wanted a cat; my kids did and we adopted an abandoned kitten, not even weaned (but spayed the instant she was old anough). And then the kids left home and cat remained behind, and where have we heard that one before? These days when I am house-bound a fair amount of the time, she is a good companion. She's quite old now and it will be a sad day when she dies.

I will not replace her. I will miss her sorely, but I still don't much want a cat other than the one I have.

A couple of years ago, I got a call asking if I wanted, or could find a home for a good-sized boa constrictor -- I do a fair amount of that, mostly with venomous. I replied that I didn't, but most likely I could and the next day, she brought the snake here. It was a gorgeous animal in excellent condition, and about 9 feet long. And as strong as ox wishes it was, which was why she was getting rid of it. It had become not easy and even slightly dangerous to handle. I locked it up in the spare bedroom, and got on the phone.

In due course, I found a small, private zoo with a good reputation that would accept the snake (and has taken a couple of others, nonvenomous, off my hands since). I reported this happy state of affairs to the lady and she thanked me. I found out later that she drops in to visit her boa on about a monthly basis.

I rather suspect that in a very few more years, I'll be getting another call from her concerning yet another unmanagable serpent.

We do get attached to them, and not just the cute & fluffies. Which causes me to wonder.... why do people get a puppy and than chain it up outside, and pay little attention to it? If the animal is such a nuisance, would it not be better not to have it at all?

And the same with cats. I firmly believe that one cat is a wonderful creature to share your home with; two cats are ok, but more cats than that is uncivilized. Suddenly, keeping them becomes an ornerous chore relative to how many you have, and a pet/companion should not be like that. The same holds with that pathetic dog chained up behind some idiot's shed.

My feelings precisely. I don't trust anyone who hurts or neglects an animal.

My cousin got a puppy, same age and littlemate to my own dog. He was gorgeous - a mutt looking just like a purebred, far prettier than mine. He was loved and pampered until she had her kid, when she promptly abandoned the poor thing on her mother's house, to be locked outside.

Didn't surprise me when a couple years later she turned to be a not so pleasant person. We broke out after a huge fight, started by her.

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  01:39:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

If the animal is such a nuisance, would it not be better not to have it at all?

Sorry to hear you are home so much, sounds like you don't want to be. If you do, then forget what I said.
As for the rant, you are right to be upset.
However:
This might answer part of the question, why do people do what they do?
In Buddhism there is a saying, People are like the Bua (Lotus flower). As it grows, 1st it is submurged in the muddy water, then it starts to bloom and finaly it comes up out in the sun.
As an example, in my own case. I would NEVER hurt an animal, there is only one kind of animal that I wouldn't miss, Man. I don't like people, but that's another story.
But it was not until I got into dog rescue that I become so awear of the over population problem. And have to shamefully admit (although not my doing) that Woody was bought from a BYB. Had I known we could have gotten just as wonderful a dog from a rescue organization I would have done that then. Another confession, Lanie my other dog before Woody was in the yard a lot of the time. When I wanted to bring her inside my room mate made a big deal out of it, I didn't stand up to him enough. Always felt bad about that, even though I spent a lot of time in the garden with her. Now Dennis says he's sorry he about that too and feels bad because he loves Woody so much and babies him. He now understands how much dogs feel 'emotions' too.
The point being, we all live and learn, sometimes the hard way.
Years ago you would have asked why we kept Lanie in the yard and looked down on us for that. She wasn't mistreated just wasn't allowed in the house often, was out there by herself. I know there are people who do much worse and should be shot. We can only hope that they will grow up out of the mud too and realize and learn what they've done and be better in the future. In the mean time the others of us will try to educate the best we can. And some of us will try to repent and make up for what we've done.
Does that make any sense?
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  05:24:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Snake

As an example, in my own case. I would NEVER hurt an animal, there is only one kind of animal that I wouldn't miss, Man. I don't like people, but that's another story.

Exactly.

-- unknown
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds.