Page: of 4

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  06:14:38  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Hayes leaves 'bigoted' South Park
quote:
Singer Isaac Hayes is to stop providing the voice for a character in cartoon South Park because he objects to its "inappropriate ridicule" of religion.
Stone said: "In 10 years and over 150 episodes of South Park, Isaac never had a problem with the show making fun of Christians, Muslim, Mormons or Jews.

"He got a sudden case of religious sensitivity when it was his religion featured on the show."
Just lost my respect for Isaac Hayes. Sad though.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  06:19:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Oops, just posted this in the general forum....

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  06:40:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Well, its important news!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  07:48:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

Well, its important news!

Important news to whom?

Just another religious celebrity with a thin-skin problem. Scroom...

Come to think of it, thin-skinitis seems common amongst Scientologists. Something to do with the well-known foibles of their founder, a fuckup and liar of epic proportions, perhaps....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  08:23:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Important news to whom?

Important to fans of South Park. I didn't even know Issac Hayes was religous nutjob.

I wonder how Chef will exit from South Park - will they do it soap-opera style (an untimely death) which I would prefer to just changing his voice. His voice and music were integral to the show, so I don't think they could find someone to change out...

unless they get George Clinton - BOW WOW WOW YIPPEE YO YIPPEE YAY!

ok I've calmed down now.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  09:38:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Isaac's had some good publicity advice. My hubby came home this morning and I mentioned the story to him. He had read it in the Metro but the Metro mentioning nothing of Scientology. Instead it made it sound like Hayes was finally fed up with increasingly bigoted episodes. What a crock of shit.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  14:02:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I hope they just replace his voice and stand up to Mr Hayes. Obviously it was OK to bash every other religion.

But you also have to wonder if it had anything to do with getting out of a contract.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  14:08:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
I was wondering how much pressure the cult put on Mr. Hayes to leave....they do have a reputation for strong-arm tactics.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  15:24:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
I wonder how Chef will exit from South Park - will they do it soap-opera style (an untimely death) which I would prefer to just changing his voice. His voice and music were integral to the show, so I don't think they could find someone to change out...

Knowing these guys.... it will be something harsh.

Chef will join a cult and end up moving into some commune...

Should be pretty funny

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  18:06:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
They should have Chef go mute.

Either that, or kill him off and have the school replace him with a new chef.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  04:42:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

May be he should suffer an accident with his ... eh.. reproductive parts.

Could motivate a change of voice.
quote:
Probably the best long term solution

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  06:43:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

Have him hustled off to Gitmo where he dies in custody?

He has to get a job somewhere else due to paternity suits?

A group of enraged women, incited by Cartman's mother, kill him and burn his house to the ground because he is secretly dating all of them at the same time. They all get off because the Mayor is one of them as well.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  10:24:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
They should have scientologists come and take Chef away, then have Stan, Cartman, et al go after him. It's pretty open what you can do from there, but it would have to be something insulting both Chef and Scientology.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  10:54:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
I believe that they should have Chef convert to an obscure religion who's followers believe that the most spiritual form of communication is through mime. Strictly adhering to the communication tenents of his new religion, Chef become an ever increasing irritant to the other good people of South Park. Chef is eventually killed by Kenny.

Just a thought.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  14:31:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Great story ideas. No doubt there are a lot of options for the writers. Can't wait to see what they come up with.
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  02:52:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman
Just lost my respect for Isaac Hayes. Sad though.

Had I known he was into Scientology I would have had lost respect at 1st.

BTW, I just started TRYING to watch that South Park show. Never saw it before although had heard the name before. It's stupid. I can't even understand what some of the cartoons are saying. The voices are muffled. Is it supposed to be funny?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.