Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  16:41:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
There are people I have wronged here, and I have apologized a time or two in the past.

I sure hope God-boy isn't holding his breath for an apology. I've said nothing to or about him that he didn't fulsomely deserve many times over, due to his self-righteous attitude, lying, dodging, tantrums, and general unwillingness to engage in real debate among adults. I refuse to patronize him by playing by his childish rules any further. Tried it briefly, but didn't work. I'm delighted to be listed among growing numbers he's honored by "ignoring."

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  17:21:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Hmph. GK has yet to respond to anything I've posted, and I'm pretty sure I've been making nice even though I've not really been all that active in this thread.

But maybe not -- I've been told that my version of 'nice' is sometimes not compatable with that generally acceptable to polite society.

Whaddafork, GK? Am I too, on The List? If so, why? When and how have I abused you? Or perhaps I should start using (shudder) deoderant, maybe?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  17:44:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Poor Fil! He's such a sensitive fellow.

Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  01:20:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by leoofno

quote:
Originally posted by Starman

quote:
Originally posted by GK Paul

Well, the whole idea of this forum (originally) was that someone claimed Jesus was made up by Josephus.
So GK Paul, here you have a opportunity to either support one of your claims or to show that my claim that you are a liar is correct.

Who made this claim and where?

A link to that post please!

(You can use the [Permalink] on top of the post to get the link.)

I guess someone's gotta do the research...took me all of 10 minutes or so...

Turns out nobody ever said that Josephus made up Jesus. But...

According to CM (if I understand it correctly from its summary), the Romans invented the gospels based on the writings of Josephus. The Romans used his history of the Roman battles against the Jews to establish a history for Jesus that paralleled those events. An inside joke by the Romans, I guess. There is no suggestion, that I can see, that Josephus actually wrote any of the gospels.

Topos is the one who brought up the Josephus connection in this post:
http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4655#98205
He mentions the parallels between Josephus's history of the Jewish War and the history of Jesus. He did not say that Josephus wrote Jesus's history.

I think GKPaul misunderstood what was being said. However, I'm not sure anyone corrected him.

To Leoofno, I Stand by my statement that Josephus was trying to {dupe} his own people into submitting to Roman rule according to the book. If you agree to apologize if I can show you this is fact come in here and say so and I will take the time to find your answer. I have to believe if you really cared you would read the book yourself.

But I've already shown that the chronology of the book is impossible, {Caesar's Messiah (Part 1) page 2 (4 posts), so I can understand if you don't want to buy it.

"Something cannot come from nothing" -- Ken Tanaka - geologist

"The existence of a Being endowed with intelligence and wisdom is a necessary inference from a study of celestial mechanics" --Sir Isaac Newton

GK Paul
Edited by - GK Paul on 12/04/2006 02:29:27
Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  01:30:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Hmph. GK has yet to respond to anything I've posted, and I'm pretty sure I've been making nice even though I've not really been all that active in this thread.

But maybe not -- I've been told that my version of 'nice' is sometimes not compatable with that generally acceptable to polite society.

Whaddafork, GK? Am I too, on The List? If so, why? When and how have I abused you? Or perhaps I should start using (shudder) deoderant, maybe?

If you agree to apologize if I can show I have responded to a post you've made I'll take the time to look it up.

"The existence of a Being endowed with intelligence and wisdom is a necessary inference from a study of celestial mechanics" --Sir Isaac Newton

GK Paul
Edited by - GK Paul on 12/04/2006 01:36:01
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  01:36:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
The apologist insists upon apologies before further communication! I'm here to tell you, all in all, it's better when he pretends to ignore you.

Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  01:43:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:

I Stand by my statement that Josephus was trying to {dupe} his own people into submitting to Roman rule according to the book.
Yes, but that was not what was disputed.
The question was if Jesus was invented by Josephus. I have not seen anyone claim this, but you say you have. Who and where?
quote:
If anyone made a post challenging this, if you agree to apologize if I can show you this is fact come in here and say so and I will take the time to find your answer. I have to believe if you really cared you would read the book yourself.
You seem keen on apologies,

Matt 7:3

You don't have to make any kind of apology to me, just try to act as an adult for a change.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  02:17:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

quote:

If you agree to apologize if I can show I have responded to a post you've made I'll take the time to look it up.

Say what?

Lemmee see if I've got this straight: you want me to apologize for something neither of us is sure happened? Is that pretty much the backstrap of the matter?

It ain't on, bro. You come up with whatever offense I've maybe committed, then I'll apologize -- if, in good conscience, I think such is warrented.

C'mon GK, in the real world, no one except Congressional Democrats are likely to walk around with their hats in their hands issuing blanket apologies for offenses they might have committed.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  02:36:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Say what?

Lemmee see if I've got this straight: you want me to apologize for something neither of us is sure happened? Is that pretty much the backstrap of the matter?

It ain't on, bro. You come up with whatever offense I've maybe committed, then I'll apologize -- if, in good conscience, I think such is warrented.

C'mon GK, in the real world, no one except Congressional Democrats are likely to walk around with their hats in their hands issuing blanket apologies for offenses they might have committed.

You sounded pretty sure in your original claim. Now your not so sure. OK will leave it at that.

GK Paul
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  19:15:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
quote:

Yes, but that was not what was disputed.
The question was if Jesus was invented by Josephus. I have not seen anyone claim this, but you say you have. Who and where?

Caesar's Messiah by Joseph Atwill. A book that GK Paul read on "The Roman conspiracy to invent Jesus."

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  19:50:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
quote:

To Leoofno, I Stand by my statement that Josephus was trying to {dupe} his own people into submitting to Roman rule according to the book. If you agree to apologize if I can show you this is fact come in here and say so and I will take the time to find your answer. I have to believe if you really cared you would read the book yourself.

But I've already shown that the chronology of the book is impossible, {Caesar's Messiah (Part 1) page 2 (4 posts), so I can understand if you don't want to buy it.

Selective memory appears to be another problem of yours. Looking back to page 2 and 3 your arguments were effectively dealt with. Your Paul argument was dealt with by HH
quote:
Nowhere in the accounts given in Acts are we actually told that Paul saw the risen Jesus.

edited to add the other link originally posted by HH

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Edited by - moakley on 12/04/2006 19:52:39
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  20:01:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GK Paul...

Holy mackerel, GK Paul, you can't be sane if you seriously expect other people to apologize to you. When, pray tell, are you going to apologize to everyone here for your acting like an insolent little prick and your constant lying? You do recall, don't you, how every time you asked us to point out where you've lied, people did indeed clearly provide several examples?

Oh, and a long time before you ever put on that snotty child act of pretending to ignore people, I asked how it is you justify your lying to support the existence of your imaginary friend, even though your imaginary friend threatens to throw you into a fiery hell for eternity for doing that lying. How about you finally cough up a reply to that one?
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  20:27:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GeeMack

...that snotty child act...
You know, GK Paul's profile used to say that he was 17. I guess he didn't like the fact that he'd publicized his age, 'cause he's taken his birthdate off of his profile.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  20:32:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by leoofno

quote:

quote:

Well, the whole idea of this forum (originally) was that someone claimed Jesus was made up by Josephus.
So GK Paul, here you have a opportunity to either support one of your claims or to show that my claim that you are a liar is correct.

Who made this claim and where?

A link to that post please!

(You can use the [Permalink] on top of the post to get the link.)

I guess someone's gotta do the research...took me all of 10 minutes or so...

Turns out nobody ever said that Josephus made up Jesus. But...

According to CM (if I understand it correctly from its summary), the Romans invented the gospels based on the writings of Josephus. The Romans used his history of the Roman battles against the Jews to establish a history for Jesus that paralleled those events. An inside joke by the Romans, I guess. There is no suggestion, that I can see, that Josephus actually wrote any of the gospels.

Topos is the one who brought up the Josephus connection in this post:
http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4655#98205
He mentions the parallels between Josephus's history of the Jewish War and the history of Jesus. He did not say that Josephus wrote Jesus's history.

I think GKPaul misunderstood what was being said. However, I'm not sure anyone corrected him.

Well, I read what I can with what little free time I have. I've been reading Robert Price's "The Incredible Shrinking Son of Man", which I find very interesting, but in 2 months I've only managed to read a couple of chapters. How pathetic . Caesar's Messiah sounds somewhat interesting, but the premise sounds a bit wack-o to me.

Perhaps the book makes it clear that it was Josephus who created the Jesus myth, however that is not what the summary says (http://www.caesarsmessiah.com/summary.html). It goes on and on and on about how the events in the gospel parallels Josephus's account of the Jewish war, but never says he created the gospel. It always says "the Romans" did it. In fact, when speeking of the "Testimonium" (in Jewish Antiquities, written later)it says that ..." it amounts to a confession admitting that the Flavian emperors invented the character of Jesus to deceive the Jews into worshipping a false messiah." (Bolding mine.)

Now, If you can show that the book definitely says otherwise then I will be enlightened. I don't think I should appologize since I made it clear from the beginning that I based my research on the summary.

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  04:58:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
You sounded pretty sure in your original claim. Now your not so sure. OK will leave it at that.
Erm, Gk, what original claim? I haven't made any claims in this thread, that I can recall. But I'm old and dementia creeps ever nearer -- it is conceivable that I've let it slip by me. Please do put forth that which is bothering you so that I can judge it and make such amends as called for, if any. The long-time denizens here will tell you that I tend to be honest in my writings. It bothers me, that I might have given unintended offense.

And I rarely, if ever, make any claim that I can't back up with accurate reference.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds.