Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  15:38:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
leoofno said:
quote:
After that, can you take anything he says seriously?

No. I doubt anyone here takes Billy seriously.

He is just regurgitating that other people tell him to.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  15:40:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Bill:
Oh, your a link chaser I see. OK, well here http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/story.html?id=edae9952-3c3e-47ba-913f-7359a5c7f723&k=0

Is that supposed to mean something? I actually reached my link by entering "global warming evidence" and clicking I am feeling lucky. Just to show how easy it would be for someone to get started finding 'any' evidence for MMGW and GW in general as you requested. Of course, you are too lazy and are only interested in view points (with no evidence but absence of evidence arguments) that you agree with, and which are easily refuted by the presence of that evidence which leads to a consensus view that the threat of MMGW is real.
quote:
You will have to take that request up with the Creator.

You mean weather? Because there is no other creator of weather phenomena than the laws of nature there buddy, Of course, if you really do think that it is by god's hand then you have blamed him for the deaths of billions. Way to reach out to an evil non-existent god as an argument strategy. This just goes to prove that what you really want is to not have to do anything. To be able to just sit on your ass and wait for god to bail you (the world?) out. This says alot about you Bill, none of it good.
quote:
I am all down with that!

Obviously .And how do we do that?
quote:
Me? Your the one trying to calcualte odds on going to heaven.

No you brought that up Bill. And you claimed a 50/50 shot. I was just showing you how to do some simple math.

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Edited by - Neurosis on 03/07/2007 15:45:38
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  15:46:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist
But what do you notice about these publications? Go on, guess? Give up? I'll give you a hint: they have nothing to do with climate change. (And I guess you'll be supporting an old-earth as Dr Allegre discusses in his SciAm article, right?) So the guy, while a respected scientist in his field, isn't exactly the best person to ask about climate change.

Just FYI.

And this is the reason I said I'd wait to pass judgement, bill. Yet another one of your sources turns out to be bogus. Far from being one of the preeminent researchers on this subject, Allegre isn't even a climatologist.

So where are you getting your information, bill? Haven't all these embarrassing discoveries taught you an ounce of humility? You keep yamming on about how there is this GW hysteria in the media pulling the wool over people's eyes. Does it not occur to you that you're the one being manipulated? That it's your sources which are responsible for putting out misinformation? When are you going to come to the realization that whatever conservative website you rely on for information is lying to you, bill?

You've yet to explain why you hold this bias, but it's clear that you do, and it would seem that it's politically motivated. Wake up already. You're only being duped because someone is telling you what you wish to hear and you're not interested in the true facts. Are you going to learn your lesson, bill, or will you be right back here parroting the next bogus item they feed you? What's it going to take for you to wise up?

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  16:01:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by filthy
Really, this whole argument is superfluous. Warmer times are a'comin'. As I've stated before, while I think we've had a lot of influence on it, it is uncertain how much. But it makes more sense to me to try and curb that influence. Perhaps it might lessen the severity of it.
Filthy, since Bill will be in cozy heaven when that day comes, he doesn't have to give a rat's ass about it.

The thing is, I probably won't have kids of my own so why should I care anymore than Bill does. Indeed, being a selfish immoral God-denier, I should care even less than him.
After all, according to Bill's bible, I believe man was given dominion over earth, to govern it. (Please correct me if I'm wrong) That means that Bill, if any, should be concerned about, and be jumping to, reversing any man-made effects on Global Warming.
But it seems I'm the one being more concerned about the future of mankind on earth.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  16:10:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aside from the fact that he is placing great emphasis on a scientist who is not a climatologist and is therefore outsied his area of expertise (like Linus Pauling with Vitamin C etc.), Bill's argument is like the idiots who used to say "Smoking doesn't cause cancer because my Aunt smoked and lived to be 90." He finds one scientist who has gone from acceptng MMGW to doubting it and claims that is proof that MMGW skepticism is increasing without looking at how many scientists have changed their minds in the other direction. He also doesn't seem to be aware that this is a "man bites dog story."

One scientist who has gone from considering MMGW to be a minor problem to a serious problem is James Lovelock who was spent much of his career studying the earth's climate. Lovelock is best known for the Gaia hypotheses that life on earth is effectively regulating the temperature and composition of the atmosphere to maintain conditions suitable for life as a result of natural selection.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Edited by - Ghost_Skeptic on 03/07/2007 17:04:12
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  01:14:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
H.H. said:
quote:
Haven't all these embarrassing discoveries taught you an ounce of humility? You keep yamming on about how there is this GW hysteria in the media pulling the wool over people's eyes. Does it not occur to you that you're the one being manipulated? That it's your sources which are responsible for putting out misinformation? When are you going to come to the realization that whatever conservative website you rely on for information is lying to you, bill?

Billy knows they are full of shit. He is a political operator on a mission (whatever his church tells him it is this week).

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  09:38:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found this story in today's NY Times to be interesting:
quote:
The director of the Fish and Wildlife Service defended the agency requirement that two employees going to international meetings on the Arctic not discuss climate change, saying diplomatic protocol limited employees to an agreed-on agenda.

In other words, because the administration refuses to engage in discussions about global warming and human's imact on it, it now won't let government experts talk about it.

The iron is that Bill likes to pretend that it's the global warming advocates who try to silenct the skeptics, but the real documented cases of silencing are those of our government-- made up of scientifically ignorant skeptics-- silencing the experts.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.