Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  20:56:02  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
This thread is for general chit-chat items which don't seem "worthy" of a thread of their own. (And if large discussion of specific items crop up, I will likely ask the participants to start new threads.) This is a continuation of the original Water Cooler.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  20:59:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by R.Wreck

Probably because I work at a power plant, and although the industry has an excellent safety record, when people are hurt, falls are one of the major causes of injuries.
All the more reason to install compact fluorescent lights.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  06:50:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Dave W. wrote:
quote:
(And if large discussion of specific items crop up, I will likely ask the participants to start new threads.)
That's known as the "get a room" rule.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  14:51:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Probably because I work at a power plant, and although the industry has an excellent safety record, when people are hurt, falls are one of the major causes of injuries.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've tried to tell them that gravity is only a theory, so they don't have to believe in falling, but it hasn't worked.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  17:44:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Does anyone remember reporting that I have a sub-sonic vibration in my apartment that disturbs our (mostly my girlfriend) sleep. So much that she cannot be more than 3 hours/day in the apartment if she wants to sleep when she gets home to her father's house in the evning.

We were pointing out the ventilation system as being the cause of our problem.
Finally, the Condo board relented and ordered a professional acoustics expert to come and measure the vibrations. He's coming tomorrow.

That's one step closer to the sollution, one way or another. If he determines there are not measurable vibrations, then we simply have to sell the apartment and move. But hopefully, he will indicate that there are vibrations high enough to be a health problem. Then the board have to fix it, we can stay, and also demand half the rent back for the last year.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  04:24:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Good luck, Mab! I hope you don't have to move.

Hey, read this as a user's sig on a gaming forum:

"It dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm."

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  06:56:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Seen on the scroll on NewsChannel8 this morning:
TODAY @ 5 ON ABC7: ABC7 NEWS AT 5
They could have saved a lot of typing by just putting "news" after the colon, but instead they chose to save a single character (and zero keystrokes) by turning one 'at' into a '@'. Good for them.
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Hey, read this as a user's sig on a gaming forum:

"It dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm."
We've discussed this here before, and if memory serves it was beskeptigal who gave us some links to pages busting this myth. For example, "I was teird in curot toady" is ambiguous at best.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  07:16:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

That's one step closer to the sollution, one way or another. If he determines there are not measurable vibrations, then we simply have to sell the apartment and move. But hopefully, he will indicate that there are vibrations high enough to be a health problem. Then the board have to fix it, we can stay, and also demand half the rent back for the last year.
And IŽll guess measuring the vibrations probably cost as much as fixing the ventilation.

Best of luck anyway.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  07:49:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Dave W. wrote:
quote:
(And if large discussion of specific items crop up, I will likely ask the participants to start new threads.)
That's known as the "get a room" rule.

My offer to moderate The Parking Lot forum still stands...

Wishing luck, Doc, as are we all.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  07:57:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
quote:

I've tried to tell them that gravity is only a theory, so they don't have to believe in falling, but it hasn't worked.

Just explain to them that they can test it by throwing themselves at the ground and missing. Thus is science served and our souls uplifted as well as our corporeal reality.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 04/17/2007 07:58:42
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  10:51:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
'Nother nifty English text trick...

ndrstndng wrttn nglsh s prtty sy wth ll th vwls rmvd.
Understanding written English is pretty easy with all the vowels removed.

u ee o e ou o e a e ooa ae eoe, iea.
But see how well you do when all the consonants are removed, instead.

(Spoilers provide answers, above.)

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  14:16:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman
And IŽll guess measuring the vibrations probably cost as much as fixing the ventilation.

Oh yeah...
$3500-4000 USD.

The Consultant said they had to analyze the measurements, but I talked with him before he left and he said they recorded several audio peaks between 20Hz and 35Hz, definitly coming from the ventilation system. Their accelerometer recorded vibrations around 10Hz.

Now the question is, will they find these peaks to be significant enough to warrant "repairs"?

quote:

Best of luck anyway.

Thanks. It seems I will still need it.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  14:50:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

'Nother nifty English text trick...

ndrstndng wrttn nglsh s prtty sy wth ll th vwls rmvd.
Understanding written English is pretty easy with all the vowels removed.

u ee o e ou o e a e ooa ae eoe, iea.
But see how well you do when all the consonants are removed, instead.

(Spoilers provide answers, above.)

Which is why some of the earliest written languages in phonetic alphabets were written without vowels. I think Phoenician, for one. Cune could cite.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  22:48:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
So my wife finally put Firefly on Netflix, and handed me the first two DVDs today. I spent a lot of time not doing the chores I was supposed to be doing, instead watching the pilot and first five episodes. I couldn't bring myself to watch another (there are two more on the DVDs I have, and apparently seven more after those), because it would have conflicted with watching House, a show which - thanks to Kil - is now sucking two hours a week out of my life (it would be three hours if 9 PM were a time I could watch TV, but I've gotta stick with the weekend reruns).

There need to be more hours in a week, dammit. I'm never going to be fully caught up.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  23:24:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
So my wife finally put Firefly on Netflix

Love that series. The movie is good too. To bad it didn't last even an entire season on TV.

There was talk, at one point, of Sci-Fi picking up the series for new episodes... but I think they spent to much on Galactica (best show on TV currently, on any network, imo).

Nathan Fillion did a great horror movie last year, Slither,, and is the lead on a new series on FOX, Drive.

Drive seems ok, at the moment. It could turn out to be an ok series. Won't hold my breath though.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  18:13:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
I just bid on a CD on Ebay.
"Ol' Yellow Eyes is Back Again"
Brent Spiner in his Star Trek persona Data singing old 40s classics.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds.