Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  15:47:08  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something where I can get through a lot of generations pretty quick, But I don't need too much apparatus.

What are you looking at? Haven't you ever seen a pink shirt before?

"I was asked if I would do a similar sketch but focusing on the shortcomings of Islam rather than Christianity. I said, 'No, no I wouldn't. I may be an atheist but I'm not stupid.'" - Steward Lee

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  15:53:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mice.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  16:00:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drosophila melanogaster is a good choice. All you need are a temp controlled environment, a few jars, and some fruit to feed them.

C. elegans is a good choice also. Very easy to maintain a population of these... can just freeze them when you need to go on vacation or something.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  16:37:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gromphadorhina portentosa, the Madagascar Hissing Cockroach.

I kept a roach ranch going for quite a while, to feed to young savanna monitor lizards. They are easy keepers, thriving on vegetable matter and dried cat food. You can tell the sexs apart at a glance. They don't bite or stink and are an excellent school project for grandkids.

Highly reccommended.

Edit: They bear their young live, rather than lay eggs, and this can be observed.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 05/08/2007 16:41:56
Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  16:44:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for the good suggestions people. I'm also interested in flora BTW

"I was asked if I would do a similar sketch but focusing on the shortcomings of Islam rather than Christianity. I said, 'No, no I wouldn't. I may be an atheist but I'm not stupid.'" - Steward Lee
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  16:50:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vegeta

thanks for the good suggestions people. I'm also interested in flora BTW

Yeah, I was interested in her for a while too, but then she up and run off with a travelin' preacher. Ah well...

What do you intend for this?

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 05/08/2007 16:51:12
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  17:04:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'm also interested in flora BTW

Plants are a different animal....

Any pollinating plant that you can grow indoors you can probably breed. It takes some knowledge and skill to breed plants though. Not as easy as animals.

The timetables are also going to be longer than for animals. Don't think there are any plants you can grow into a sexually mature organism in 7-10 days.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  17:09:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not flora but finches multiply like crazy.
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  17:30:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about some bacteria. Sure, you can't pat them (in any meaningful sense of the word), but they can have really short generation times, they can grow on just about anything, and you can acquire them for free.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  17:32:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Roaches breed fast. And you don't have to do anything. Just leave some food out for them at night...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  18:18:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mormons...

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  18:43:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bees, man. And apparently, we're running out. So chop chop.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  00:34:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Love the bees and Mormon answers.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 05/09/2007 00:35:26
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  00:38:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Bees, man. And apparently, we're running out. So chop chop.

I went to a Richard Leaky talk tonight and someone asked if global warming was the probable cause of the demise of the bees. His answer was we just needed more of the African kind. They were tougher.

Leaky considers Kenya his home.
Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  05:29:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised no one suggested tribbles yet...

Bones: They're bisexual

Edited by - Vegeta on 05/09/2007 05:29:39
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  05:53:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vegeta

I'm surprised no one suggested tribbles yet...

Bones: They're bisexual

Bones was incorrect. They were, to ruthlessly pick the nit, hermaphroditic.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.