Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  18:08:33  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
What do you think of the SFN's forums moderation?

Choices:
Any moderation at all deprives me of my liberty.
You thugs should be ashamed of what you've purged.
Maybe you ought to lighten up a little.
Just about right.
Maybe you ought to be a little more strict.
You wussies should be ashamed of what you let go on.
Good moderators rule with iron fists always poised over the ban button.
Other (please explain).

(Anonymous Vote)

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  18:11:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't answer this poll, as it all depends upon whose ox is being gored.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  18:39:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's what "Other" is for.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  21:32:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, almost no one is taking this poll. Hmmmm... It's not as though we can see how you voted you know.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  21:35:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Well, almost no one is taking this poll. Hmmmm... It's not as though we can see how you voted you know.
Well, if I'm the first and only, you'd know how I voted.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  22:04:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
37 views. No votes.

Half, if you were first-and-only, people would only know it if you told everyone that you voted. And then as soon as a different vote came in, they'd only know how you'd voted if you or someone else said "Half was the first one to vote, and he voted blah-blah-blah," because if nobody did that, who voted which way would be lost to history.

The only real way for privacy of votes to be compromised publicly is for people to confess.

And I'm not really even interested in the voters themselves. I'm looking for genuine feedback, not a pat on the head. While the results of the poll are non-binding (of course), they won't be ignored. But we're not looking to make friends and enemies lists.

Then again, zero votes is a result, and a meaningful one, too.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  23:32:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A total of 101% ? I knew there was something suspicious happening here.

Damn, I guess that means you know how I voted too. The blue SFN decals on the side of the black helicopters really are a bit of a give away you know.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  00:30:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I really hate is the constant bullying we get in the form of these damned polls.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  00:56:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am opposed to banning and, some will remember, have even argued against it. After all, the troll will just go elsewhere and inflict his imbecilic self upon others. I think that a couple or three hours in the thumbscrews will straighten out the most obnoxious of them and make them think a bit before becoming idiots anywhere.

Other than that, everything's cool.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  01:37:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel like the moderating here is kept to a minimum, though things are not left to get out of control. I've always been pretty satisfied with it. How I feel about the banning issue brought up by filthy is mixed. I do think that it that the threat of being banned helps keep things civil, but at the same time, even if I want someone to be banned, if and when they get banned, I always have a a mild tinge of regret. I'd hate to be in you guys place making the decisions and overall I think you do a good job.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  05:46:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think in order to moderate fairly, you'd have to really understand every thread and every poster and every exchange more than the participants do. You'd have to have twice as many moderators as participants in order to do it right. That's why sites have "report" buttons, but then increasing the number of moderators does not necessarily increase the quality of moderators.

I've seen people moderate on other sites that have litte education on subject matter, and extreme prejudices on one side or the other. It often falls (not on this site) to people who are just immature and not very well educated, as who wants to do such a thing.

It ultimately falls to the owner to decide what kind of site they want, and how "fair" they want to be, and polls probably won't be much of a factor in that, or will they?

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  05:49:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to say I do like being able to come to a board that I don't have to worry about the content of my posts and if they are going to get me banned. This place is very forgiving comparied to may other boards I have visited and it takes alot to get yourself banned here from what I see.

I wouldn't change a thing.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  11:14:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something is wrong with this poll. We are getting far more hits from outside of our membership, which doesn't really tell us a whole lot. More comments from members would be useful too...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  11:26:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure someone has been gaming the results.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  11:43:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked "a little more strict".

During the Da Gnome era the moderation seemed a bit more like the current relationship between the Democratic Congress (the moderation) and the White House (President Jerome) - in other words, wimpy. I probably would have voted for more strict moderation back then. ;)

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  15:43:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you guys do a good job. As the former forum manager of large web site devoted to a particularly popular software game for the PC, I know exactly how hard it is to do a good job moderating. I have always preferred a hands-off approach; unfortunately, some people have to be dealt with harshly. It's more of a reflection on the user than the moderator.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.