Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  18:56:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

Originally posted by HalfMooner
There are laws that require citizens to comply with lawful orders of police officers. If the young man wanted to make a point, he did so, but he should understand, as all nonviolent demonstrators do, that being arrested is the price one must pay for violating the law, or lawful police orders.

It is a lawful order from a police officer to command a citizen to stop speaking in a public forum to a public servant?

You are a supporter of tyranny!

Have you ever read the constitution? If so, you need to reread it. I would recommend a dictionary by your side.
Yes! It all depends on what the person is saying, and how that person is acting! And as has already been noted, Jerome, the officers responsible for the excessive force have been suspended, and John Kerry had nothing to do with their actions. Quite being a troll.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  18:56:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It is a lawful order from a police officer to command a citizen to stop speaking in a public forum to a public servant?
That you still paint this as something so cut-and-dried is simply insane of you, Jerome.
You are a supporter of tyranny!
And you are a tyrant, Jerome.
Have you ever read the constitution? If so, you need to reread it. I would recommend a dictionary by your side.
So all I need to know in order to rob a bank and delay my arrest indefinitely is that I need to run to the town hall, interrupt the proceedings and begin to ask the mayor questions. If the police try to arrest me while I'm talking, Jerome will say that they're denying me my Constitutional rights. I wonder if this is the tactic that Jerome uses after yelling "fire!" in a crowded, non-burning theater. "I have just one question for you, Mr. Public Servant, but it comes in 39 parts, so you and the police may wish to sit down."

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  19:10:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist
Yes! It all depends on what the person is saying, and how that person is acting!

Really, just to confirm what you just wrote.

The state has the authority to stop someone from speaking politically based on what they are saying and/or the manner in which they are saying it?

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  19:22:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The state has the authority to stop someone from speaking politically based on what they are saying and/or the manner in which they are saying it?
Yes, if a person is making otherwise legal speech while waving a loaded gun at a crowd, I fervently hope that the state has the authority to take him down. Furthermore, incitement to riot is a crime. These are just two examples.

Freedom of speech is not now, nor has it ever been nor will it ever be, absolute.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  19:22:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yes! It all depends on what the person is saying, and how that person is acting!

Really, just to confirm what you just wrote.

You've added "politically" into the discussion, which wasn't in your original question. Originally, it was "speaking in a public forum to a public servant." Don't move the goal posts. You should know that by now.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  19:28:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You've added "politically" into the discussion, which wasn't in your original question. Originally, it was "speaking in a public forum to a public servant." Don't move the goal posts. You should know that by now.

Lets see if you can follow the context.

Kerry is a political figure. (topic)

Political speech concerning a political figure concerning the political figures actions concerning a political election.

You statement was the weakest horse shit I have seen in a long time.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  19:33:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Yes, if a person is making otherwise legal speech while waving a loaded gun at a crowd, I fervently hope that the state has the authority to take him down. Furthermore, incitement to riot is a crime. These are just two examples.

Waving the gun at the crowd is a crime. The speech has nothing to do with committing a crime. You can not redefine my phrase "manner of speaking" to mean committing a crime.

Freedom of speech is not now, nor has it ever been nor will it ever be, absolute.

No argument here.

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  19:34:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Kerry is a political figure. (topic)

Political speech concerning a political figure concerning the political figures actions concerning a political election.

You statement was the weakest horse shit I have seen in a long time.
Huh? You asked if there would be a time when it would be right for the police to arrest a person for "speaking in a public forum to a public servant." The answer is yes. If I said to John Kerry, "I'm going to rip your throat out and feed it to your children right now" then yes, the police should come after me. It's as simple as that. I'm sorry if you think it's horse shit. I wouldn't expect you to think any other way, however.

ETA: Moreover, even if I asked some normal question in a raised voice, perhaps with aggressive action (like pushing people out of the way to ask my question), then I may be asked by authority figures to step aside, and if I got out of line, then I could be disturbing the peace, none of which would be directly related to asking a political question per se.
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 09/18/2007 19:37:25
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  19:34:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Kerry doesn't even know in what context Meyer got arrested. So how is it that you know, Jerome?

I can see you're studiously avoiding my posts, probably because you know you've got nothing but outrage to back up your weak suppositions.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  19:35:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jerome just admires the guy's trollish, disruptive behavior. Jerome and that guy both equate disrupting other people's right to free speech with free speech itself. No taking turns, or even letting people answer your questions!

As for Jerome calling me a tyrant, I admit it. I always have been, and always will be an autocratic dictator and despot. And I'm proud of it. Everything which I do not forbid is mandatory.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/18/2007 19:37:02
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  19:36:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Waving the gun at the crowd is a crime. The speech has nothing to do with committing a crime. You can not redefine my phrase "manner of speaking" to mean committing a crime.
Incitement to riot is still a crime that can consist of nothing but words, Jerome. I see you're only avoiding the parts of my posts which are devestating to your miserable case.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  19:36:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner
As for Jerome calling me a tyrant, I admit it. I always have been, and always will be an autocratic dictator and despot. And I'm proud of it, so there!

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  19:43:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Incitement to riot is still a crime that can consist of nothing but words, Jerome. I see you're only avoiding the parts of my posts which are devestating to your miserable case.

Your arguments are ridiculous.

No one waved a gun.

No one incited a riot.

No one committed a crime.

You used the "fire in a crowded theater" idea incorrectly.

Holmes:
The most stringent protection of free speech would not protect a man falsely shouting fire in a theater and causing a panic.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  19:45:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME over here

A U.S. Senator watching police tazer a college student for asking an uncomfortable question would be tyranny.
What evidence do you have that shows, beyond a reasonable doubt, that Meyer was tasered because he asked Kerry an "uncomfortable" question?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  19:48:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME over here

A U.S. Senator watching police tazer a college student for asking an uncomfortable question would be tyranny.
What evidence do you have that shows, beyond a reasonable doubt, that Meyer was tasered because he asked Kerry an "uncomfortable" question?

I did not state "Meyer was tasered because he asked Kerry an "uncomfortable" question".

I stated an example of what tyranny looks like.

Edited by - JEROME DA GNOME on 09/18/2007 19:48:35
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.