Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  19:51:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

Your arguments are ridiculous.

No one waved a gun.

No one incited a riot.

No one committed a crime.

You used the "fire in a crowded theater" idea incorrectly.
Actually, you're the one making the argument that Meyer was arrested because he asked Kerry "an uncomfortable question." You have no evidence of this, or you would have posted it already, and you are ignoring evidence that the police were involved in the situation before Meyer ever got to the microphone to ask anything.

You asked for examples of speech that the state has the authority to stop. I gave them to you, and you call them "ridiculous." That's how your tyranny works, Jerome. If people don't agree with you, you insult them.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  19:54:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I did not state "Meyer was tasered because he asked Kerry an "uncomfortable" question".
Then what, exactly, did you mean by "...police tazer a college student for asking an uncomfortable question..."? What else could that use of "for" mean besides denoting a cause-and-effect relationship with "asking an uncomfortable question" as the cause and "police tazer a college student" as the effect?
I stated an example of what tyranny looks like.
And in this thread, the only tyranny I'm interested in is your own, Jerome, because the authorities in Florida are dealing with the cops who abused their power over Meyer.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  19:57:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
YO! I don't mean to take this important thread off course, but I think we could use a quick chuckle, thanks to the post from Jerry Gnome that shows a line by H. Humbert.

"It doesn't matter that the original studies were conducted by scientists or that they were peer reviewed." ---H. Humbert

That would be a Nabokov quote, one I love so much. I remember reading this novel in the Fort Ord, CA hospital with a broken hip at a horny 22 years of age. It was pure torture for me, no females around whatsoever or privacy: "Lolita, Light of My Life, Fire of My Loins."

Proceed with the tasering, fellow skeptics.

Orwellingly Yurz

"The modern conservative...is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy. That is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

The neo-cons have gotten welfare for themselves down to a fine art.
--me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights."
--J. Paul Getty

"The great thing about Art isn't what it give us, but what we become through it."
--Oscar Wilde

"We have Art in order not to die of life."
--Albert Camus

"I cling like a miser to the freedom I lose when surrounded by an abundance of things."
--Albert Camus

"Experience is the name so many people give to their mistakes."
--Oscar Wilde
Edited by - Orwellingly Yurz on 09/18/2007 20:07:46
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  05:26:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the Keystone Kops campus cops are now on administrative leave, as they should be, pending an investagation, and the kid is back on the street on his own recognisance, charged with Disorderly & Resisting, which seems proper but probably won't stick very tightly due to the idiotcy of the arrest. Which might inspire a lawsuit.

Here's Kerry's statement on it:

"In 37 years of public appearances, through wars, protests and highly emotional events, I have never had a dialogue end this way. I believe I could have handled the situation without interruption, but I do not know what warnings or other exchanges transpired between the young man and the police prior to his barging to the front of the line and their intervention. I asked the police to allow me to answer the question and was in the process of answering him when he was taken into custody. I was not aware that a taser was used until after I left the building. I hope that neither the student nor any of the police were injured. I regret enormously that a good healthy discussion was interrupted."

What it sugars off to is that the kid was a smartass, the cops were afraid of him and over-reacted, and both sides of it were stupid. Not much out of the ordinary, really, except for the presence of Kerry.

Tempest in a teapot.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  20:48:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote

T-shirts on sale here.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  21:10:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote

T-shirts on sale here.
No man. Better t-shirts are for sale here.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  17:20:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote

T-shirts on sale here.

Even better remix:

STOP , IT'S TAZER TIME

MC hammer remix of the "don't taze my bro" guy.

I do think it is sad that this is now a joke.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Edited by - JEROME DA GNOME on 09/24/2007 17:22:06
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  18:52:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Except it's a "taser")

But I'm, uh, glad you feel bad it's a joke now after posting the whole t-shirt thing with the laughing smiley guy.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  19:02:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

(Except it's a "taser")

But I'm, uh, glad you feel bad it's a joke now after posting the whole t-shirt thing with the laughing smiley guy.

, as in ironic.

Maybe that was the wrong icon?

The point here is that when police overstepping the bounds of civility becomes a joke, society has lessened the constraints on the state.

Think honestly; if it were a politician that you distrust and dislike on the stage, would your reaction have been the same?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.