New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  06:04:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Daniel The Prophet

I often see the future. For example, I saw that on November 20th, 2007 God shook Japan severely, (perhaps a magnitude of 8.3) and followed it immediately with a crushing blow on New York City. This is more than a prediction. This is a warning! Keep your loved ones and yourself safe on that fateful day. Natural Disasters will continue to rise in number and magnitude. When you see these things happen, you may wish to be forwarned of other natural disasters. If so, send a SASE to Daniel, 1241 W. 27th Ave #436, Anchorage, AK 99503-2318

[Moved to the General Skepticism folder - Dave W.]
Can I send you money?

Btw, Thanks for the ironic post in this forum of all forums. It's funny.

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 11/09/2007 06:06:08
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  06:19:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chaloobi

I often see the future. For example, I saw that on November 20th, 2007 God shook Japan severely, (perhaps a magnitude of 8.3) and followed it immediately with a crushing blow on New York City. This is more than a prediction. This is a warning! Keep your loved ones and yourself safe on that fateful day. Natural Disasters will continue to rise in number and magnitude. When you see these things happen, you may wish to be forwarned of other natural disasters. If so, send a SASE to Daniel, 1241 W. 27th Ave #436, Anchorage, AK 99503-2318

[Moved to the General Skepticism folder - Dave W.]
Can I send you money?

Btw, Thanks for the ironic post in this forum of all forums. It's funny.
Y'know 'loobie, it crossed my mind that we were being spammed again, and a SASE to our friend Dan'l might be returned with an offer to do a private prophetcy for a modest donation. I even started a PM to Dave about it, but changed my mind on the off chance he might be legit.

I'm still not too sure, but it's amazing to me that he'd try it here, either way.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  07:22:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well he might think he's legit (not looking to scan some money), but he's not legit (ie he's not a prophet). In any case, this is not the place.

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 11/09/2007 07:23:32
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  07:22:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that NYC is built upon solid granite with no apprecable faults. It'd take an earthquake of near unimaginable intensity to 'bring it down.'

Actually, there is significant faulting under the area of New York, compounded by the fact that there are no anti-quake building codes in New York, a 6.0 quake would be as devestating as a 7.0 in LA. The USGS rates NYC as the 4th most dangerous city to live in with regard to quakes, mostly because of the massive amounts of brick and mortar dwellings which permeate the city.

NY Quake Hazard map
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/states/new_york/hazards.php

Earthquake hazard is a measure of the likelyhood of the quake combined with the damage estimated to result at that location.

From the USGS

New York

Earthquake History
Strong earthquakes in 1638, 1661, 1663, and 1732 in the St. Lawrence Valley and a shock near Newbury, Massachusetts, in 1727 were felt in New York before the first notable tremor centered within the State was recorded. On December 18, 1737, an earthquake near New York City threw down a number of chimneys (intensity VII). This shock was reported felt at Boston, Philadelphia, and at New Castle, Delaware.

Walls vibrated, bells rang, and objects fell from shelves (intensity VI) at Buffalo from a shock on October 23, 1857. Also, a man seated on a chair was reportedly thrown to the ground. At Lockport, rumbling noises were heard for a full minute. This shock was felt as far as Hamilton, Peterborough, and Port Hope, Ontario, Canada; Rochester, New York; and Erie and Warren, Pennsylvania. The total felt area covered approximately 46,000 square kilometers.

A rather severe earthquake centered in northeastern New York caused moderate damage along the St. Lawrence River and in the Lake Champlain area in 1877. Crockery was overturned, ceilings cracked, and chimneys were thrown down (intensity VII) from the November 4 tremor. At Saratoga Springs, buildings were shaken and a roaring sound was heard; at Auburn, windows were damaged. The earthquake was felt throughout a large part of New York and New England and eastern Canada, about 233,000 square kilometers.

On August 10, 1884, an earthquake caused large cracks in walls at Amityville and Jamaica (intensity VII). The shock was felt strongly at New York City. In addition, 30 towns from Hartford, Connecticut, to West Chester, Pennsylvania, reported fallen bricks and cracked plaster. The total felt area was estimated at 181,000 square kilometers.

A shock reported as severe, but with no damage noted (intensity VI), occurred in northeastern New York on May 27, 1897. It was felt over the greater portion of New York and parts of adjacent New England States and Quebec, Canada.

A very large area of the northeastern United States and eastern Canada, about 4,200,000 square kilometers, was shaken by a magnitude 7 earthquake on February 28, 1925 (March 1, universal time). A maximum intensity of VIII was reached in the epicentral region, near La Malbaie, Quebec, Canada. A large portion of New York State experienced intensity IV effects; lesser intensities were noted south of Albany.

Extensive damage occurred in the Attica area from a strong shock on August 12, 1929. Two hundred and fifty chimneys were thrown down, plaster was cracked or thrown down, and other building walls were noticeably damaged (intensity VIII). Many cemetery monuments fell or were twisted. Dishes fell from shelves, pictures and mirrors fell from walls, and clocks stopped. An increased flow at the Attica reservoir was noted for several days after the earthquake; a number of wells near the reservoir went dry. There was some damage at Batavia and other points at similar distances. A wall was cracked at Sayre, Pennsylvania. The earthquake was felt throughout most of New York and the New England states, northeastern Ohio, northern Pennsylvania, and southern Ontario, Canada; a total area of about 250,000 square kilometers. Strong aftershocks were felt at Attica on December 2 and 3; dishes fell from shelves and clocks stopped.

The opposite end of the State experienced similar damage from another shock less than 2 years later. On April 20, 1931, an earthquake centering near Lake George threw down about 20 chimneys at Warrensburg and twisted a church spire (intensity VII). A small landslide was reported on McCarthy Mountain. At Glen Falls, walls were cracked, dished broken, and clocks stopped. At Lake George, buildings swayed and store goods fell from shelves. At Luzerne, some Chimneys were damaged and windows broken. The shock was felt over 155,000 square kilometers, but with less intensity in the Catskills than at equal distances in other directions. This anomaly was also noted in the August 12, 1929, Attica earthquakes.

The magnitude 6 1/4 earthquake centered near Timiskaming, Quebec, Canada, on November 1, 1935, caused slight damaged at many points in New York. The damage was limited, in general, to plaster cracks, broken windows, and cracked chimneys. The shock was felt throughout New York, as far south as Washington, D.C., and as far west as Wisconsin. An earthquake centered near Lake Ossipee, New Hampshire on December 24, 1940, caused widespread, though slight, damage in the epicentral region, extending into Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Vermont. Reports from Dannemora, New York, noted plaster and windows cracked and some dishes broken. The shock was felt over all of New York State.

On September 4, 1944, an earthquake centered about midway between Massena, New York, and Cornwall, Ontario, Canada, caused an estimated $2,000,000 damage in the two cities. The shock destroyed or damaged about 90 percent of the chimneys at Massena (intensity VIII), with similar effects at Cornwall. In addition, masonry, plumbing, and house foundations were damaged at Massena. Many structures were rendered unsage for occupancy until repaired. Press reports indicated a large number of wells in St. Lawrence County went dry, causing acute hardship. Brick masonry and concrete structures were damaged at Hogansburg; some ground cracking was also noted at nearby towns. This earthquake was felt over approximately 450,000 square kilometers in the United States, including all the New England States, Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and portions of Michigan and Ohio. A few points in Illinois, Indiana, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wisconsin also reported feeling the tremor.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  07:23:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To paraphrase Homer Simpson, I am intrigued by your prophecy and would like to subscribe to your newsletter...

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  08:00:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, there is significant faulting under the area of New York, compounded by the fact that there are no anti-quake building codes in New York, a 6.0 quake would be as devestating as a 7.0 in LA. The USGS rates NYC as the 4th most dangerous city to live in with regard to quakes, mostly because of the massive amounts of brick and mortar dwellings which permeate the city.

NY Quake Hazard map
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/states/new_york/hazards.php

Earthquake hazard is a measure of the likelyhood of the quake combined with the damage estimated to result at that location.
Very interesting. Evidently, my info is not only out of date, but wrong as well. Might have been put forth by the Chamber of Commerce, or something.

I stand corrected yet again. Thanks, Big Pappa.
Well he might think he's legit (not looking to scan some money), but he's not legit (ie he's not a prophet). In any case, this is not the place.
That's essentially what I meant. If he thinks he's really a prophet and not really out to scam anyone, there's a slim & outside chance we can talk him around.

11 more days 'till the 20th; anyone care to lay a wager that God isn't paying attention and couldn't care less about NYC? Or Tokyo either for that matter, although earthquakes are relatively common around there (so the odds'll have to be a little tighter, especally if we include pelagic events).

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  09:04:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got it. This guy is trying to describe the opening of the Sixth Seal:

Bible nonsense

12 And I saw when He opened the 1sixth seal, and there was a great 2aearthquake, and the bsun became black like csackcloth made of hair, and the whole moon became like blood;

13 And the astars of heaven fell to the earth as a bfig tree casts its unripe figs when shaken by a great wind.

14 And aheaven was removed like a scroll being rolled up, and every bmountain and island were moved out of their places.

15 And the akings of the earth and the great men and the 1generals and the rich and the strong and every slave and free man bhid themselves in the caves and in the rocks of the mountains;

16 And they 1asay to the mountains and to the rocks, Fall on us and hide us from the bface of Him who sits upon the throne and from the cwrath of the dLamb;

17 For the agreat day of Their wrath has come, and bwho is able to stand?

For more eye-opening revelations, check out this web site:

http://www.escapeallthesethings.com/

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 11/09/2007 09:08:33
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  10:43:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy
...there's a slim & outside chance we can talk him around.

You are an optimist. If I thought he really believed in his future-looking, I wouldn't bother.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  11:04:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Methinks a archaological team should be sent to the Hall Of The Mountain King to dig for evidence of a resurrection!
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  11:28:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I often see the future. For example, I saw that on November 20th, 2007 God shook Japan severely, (perhaps a magnitude of 8.3) and followed it immediately with a crushing blow on New York City.

It's easy to predict future earthquakes in Japan though I wouldn't set a specific date.

For New York City, there are so many tunnels and passageways under Manhattan, minor localized man made quakes are often felt from passing delivery trucks. A "crushing blow" could still be predicted, but again it is better to 1. Not set a date, and 2. Confine it to an out-of-town baseball team, (but only if you're not a fan of the Mets or Yankees.)

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  03:10:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, that momentous date, November 20th in the year of Our Idiot: 2007, has come upon us. Having glanced at the news, I've not seen anything of note happening in NYC or Japan beyond the usual foibles & failings so common to humanity. Of course, the day is yet young, a mere five hours or so old, so we cannot yet state definitively that nothing will happen. Beyond the usual foibles & failings & so forth, that is, and those are as predictable as sunrise and don't count in this case.

So, five hours down & 19 to go. The suspense is a killer!

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  04:09:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I slept about 25 minutes longer than I planned. But I'm not in Japan or NYC so that doesn't count.

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 11/20/2007 04:09:51
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  07:12:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As of this moment, there are only 49 minutes left for Japan's November 20th (JST is 14 hours ahead of EST).

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  07:15:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ohmygod! Velvet Revolver cancel Japan Tour! They would have rocked Japan!

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  07:19:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ohmygodohmygod!
And stock markets in Tokyo and Hong Kong shook off deep early losses that followed Wall Street's tumble to move higher, with Japan's Nikkei buoyed by a $1,8bn bank takeover.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.