Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  06:59:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Colbert's meteoric rise seems to be slowing, folks. Hint, hint.

"I'm doing my part..."

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  10:50:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Every day for nineteen days....."

Come on everybody, vote! Colbert is approaching 1000. We should have a goal of getting him to the top of their list, and then let him know about it! I would bet that he'd love to ballyhoo it on his program!

How about trying to ring in some other Skeptic forums beside's PZ's?
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  08:14:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking about letting him know NOW.
In the past, he was not against mentioning such votes on his program and calling the viewers to go and sway the votes in his favour...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  14:20:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Simon.....

I was thinking about letting him know NOW.
In the past, he was not against mentioning such votes on his program and calling the viewers to go and sway the votes in his favour...
Well, I'm all for it, except it ain't easy (or cheap)! Celebrity Contacts will sell you a membership for $19.95/mo that promises valid addresses for thousands of celebrities, but you have to join to find out if it works, and if it doesn't - too bad, I guess!

I would be willing to pop for the address info - if it didn't work, I'd just cancel the American Express transaction and let them fight it out; besides, you get seven days free (they say) - if we could get a pretty good group of members to go along with the idea and thereby get Colbert's attention by a larger number of letters or e-mails.

I don't know if anyone here is interested in this project except you, me, Dave, and Dr.Mabuse.

Any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  14:57:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There might be a link on the Comedy central website

Me gonna check it out now.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  04:56:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about through www.colbertnation.com?

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  07:32:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am proud to say that I just gave Colbert his 1000th vote.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  11:58:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did 1001, it's up to 1007 as of 11:52AM PST today.

Hempfling wrote today.....
Two bulls are standing on a hill on a sunny afternoon. Off in the distance, they see a group of cows. The young bull excitedly nudges the old bull and says, “Hey! Hey! I know! Let's run down the hill and take one of those cows!” The old bull looks at the young bull, then turns and takes a long look at the cows grazing in the distance. He turns back to the young bull and says, “Son, let's walk down the hill and have ‘em all.
....providing proof positive that he is full of bullshit and he wants to screw us all!

Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2008 :  08:08:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I am proud to say that I just gave Colbert his 1000th vote.

I am so jealous. I gave him is 999th vote and that's just not the same.

No luck contacting Mr. Colbert yet...

Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2008 :  22:35:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I missed a couple days, but someone is definitely poll-crashing. I just gave Colbert his 2,002nd vote.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2008 :  05:42:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What the hell is patriotism anyway?

Wiktionary says: Love of country; devotion to the welfare of one's country; the virtues and actions of a patriot; the passion which inspires one to serve one's country. Concern for the common good of one's political community.

Webster says: love for or devotion to one's country.

This sounds like Spok: "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one." But it's not even that good. As a patriot, all you have to do is be concerned or devoted. You don't actually have to practice some level of self-sacrifice in service to the nation state. Nice and useless on two levels - first, that of only having the substance of a strong sentiment and second, the concepts of concern and devotion are totally subjective.

So, regardless of the propaganda, is a soldier who dies in Iraq a patriot? I think a strong, albeit very unpopular, argument can be made that he/she is not. The Iraq war, by all public evidence, is not and never has served the interests of our nation. So how can you be a patriot for dying in it? Is having your life casually thrown away by poor and indifferent leadership patriotic? More patriotic would be the refusal to serve in the war citing the lunacy of invading and occupying Iraq for no apparent national interest.

And anyone involved in starting that war is clearly not a patriot, right? Well.... I believe GW's gang of fools thought they were serving the nation's interests by starting that war. Just because they were catastrophically incompetent in their judgement and execution doesn't mean their hearts weren't in the right place. So they arguably meet the criteria for patriotism, highlighting perfectly how stupid the concept is.

Plunge your nation into a very ilconceived war, sacrifice nothing in the process, and accept no responsibility for the vast array of mistakes you make and yet you are still a patriot. But fight and die in that ilconceived war and be no more patriotic than the mall rats keeping the economy afloat on the home front. Enough said.

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 06/19/2008 05:45:51
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2008 :  18:03:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, Colbert's only up to 2,104 after another six days.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2008 :  22:50:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Colbert has surpassed the Volunteer Military to take fifth place!

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2008 :  08:13:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Colbert has surpassed the Volunteer Military to take fifth place!
Plus, he is only now right under Dick Cheney!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  19:11:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only 141 votes until Colbert surpasses Cheney!

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.