New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  20:08:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by furshur

You are a De facto troll, a poor troll, but a troll none the less.

Wait, what was that a real response. I know what to do : insult. Yeaa insults, they are my friends when I can not think what to do.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  20:19:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

Please compare the 10 points of the communist manifesto, so as to ascertain whether Syria is a communistic state.
You offered Syria as an example of a state that is zero percent communistic. Yet there they are with that centralized economic power.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  20:42:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Please compare the 10 points of the communist manifesto, so as to ascertain whether Syria is a communistic state.
You offered Syria as an example of a state that is zero percent communistic. Yet there they are with that centralized economic power.

Opps, I did not read the question correctly.

No nation is 0% communist.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  21:06:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

No nation is 0% communist.
So whether a nation is "de facto" communistic is entirely open to interpretation and subjectivity, since there is no standard for defining "heavy" taxation (for one example out of ten). And no states which aren't a little bit commie, so it's all a matter of scale.

I bet the old U.S.S.R. wasn't 100% communistic, either.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  21:16:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
American government and society exhibit a substantially more communistic form than the republic which was founded.

Every thing is to degrees.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  21:18:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

American government and society exhibit a substantially more communistic form than the republic which was founded.

Every thing is to degrees.
"Substantially more" is not the same as "de facto."

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  21:23:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
De facto means in reality without overt statement. If America is more communistic than republic, yet is claimed republic, that is de facto.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  21:38:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

De facto means in reality without overt statement. If America is more communistic than republic, yet is claimed republic, that is de facto.
False dichotomy. You are failing to consider other possible descriptors, demanding that the U.S. be one of two.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  21:41:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

False dichotomy. You are failing to consider other possible descriptors, demanding that the U.S. be one of two.

Current American government exhibits all of the traits of a communist state to varying degrees that would lead anyone unencumbered by years of propaganda to conclude that America is a communistic state.

Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  22:39:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Perrodetokio asked "Whatīs so wrong about free public schools?"

The ability for forced indoctrination.

I can't see how non-free public schools would be inherently free of forced indoctrination.

I can't see why non-government schools would be inherently free of forced indoctrination.

I can't see how home schooling would be would be inherently free of forced indoctrination.

What is your point? What is the alternative?

I'm not attempting to speak for Perrodetokio, but to refine the question slightly, what is wrong with free public schools that isn't also wrong with any other schooling system?

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  03:36:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jerome wrote:
Current American government exhibits all of the traits of a communist state to varying degrees that would lead anyone unencumbered by years of propaganda to conclude that America is a communistic state.
So now the reason we disagree with your claim that the USA "exhibits all the traits of a communist state to varying degrees" - meaning it is a de facto communist state - is because we are encumbered by years of propaganda, but you are not. This is just insulting. Most of the people on this forum many hold opinions that are radically different from what they were raised to believe.

Please name 3 examples (specific ones) of propaganda that has so encumbered our critical thinking abilities.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  04:41:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Fantastic, we've finally gotten a "No True Scotsman" argument from you.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  06:46:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Perrodetokio asked "Whatīs so wrong about free public schools?"

The ability for forced indoctrination.

Yeah? Well, when you have an ignorant, analphabet majority they are very easy to manipulate by a minority ruling elite, and itīs cheaper than public schools. Do you want to force indoctrinate them? Give them NO education and shit jobs, then theyīll be forced to join the army, where you can more effectively brain-wash them. Plus you can make an idiot vote for you by telling them any old lie. Thatīs how many countries are governed.

Cheers
perrodetokio

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  08:04:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Cune, the American constitution does not establish either democracy or capitalism.

Your retort once again is built on a false premise.
I'd say that it establishes democracy. You know, elected officials and whatnot.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  09:02:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
John,

Market based schools would only have the indoctrination allowed by the buyers of the product. Larger selection of options.

Government schools (through economics) force a majority into state indoctrination.

Perrodetokio, I did not understand your last post; could you please restate so I can better understand.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds.