Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  18:07:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Yup, Catholic.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  18:12:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

quote:
Originally posted by GK Paul

My question stands; is Pelosi a Christian?
Since she was talking about helping the unfortunate as an act of worshipping God (just like Jesus taught), and since she said so, I have little doubt that she's a Christian. Why would you even think to ask?

Well not everyone who has done some good deeds; has read the Bible; and worships, is a Christian. But if Pelosi is a Christian, that's great.

"Something cannot come from nothing" -- Ken Tanaka - geologist

"The existence of a Being endowed with intelligence and wisdom is a necessary inference from a study of celestial mechanics" --Sir Isaac Newton

GK Paul
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  18:23:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Since she was talking about helping the unfortunate as an act of worshipping God (just like Jesus taught), and since she said so, I have little doubt that she's a Christian. Why would you even think to ask?

Well not everyone who has done some good deeds; has read the Bible; and worships, is a Christian. But if Pelosi is a Christian, that's great.

Well, who are they worshipping then? Is it......SATAN?

Maybe YOU aren't a christian, by that definition.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  18:26:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
quote:
To my critics, I said all that lie stuff was boring me to tears way back in the Coulter forum. And its doubly boring me here. If thats all you have to offer that's sad. I know you all have something more to offer than that. I'll say the same thing here that I said in the Coulter forum. (Yawn) I'm probably not going to reply to anyone who is rude. And if you think one of my reply's is rude than say so and don't reply for that reason.
How are we even supposed to know if you thought we were being rude to you? I don't think I've been rude to you once, but rudeness is pretty subjective. I think I've been sarcastic from time to time and aggressive, but that is my debating style. But I imagine you think I've been rude to you since you never ever respond to my arguments. But more importantly, even if you've taken my sarcasm and aggressiveness as rudeness, I have used tons of facts and reasoning in my responses to you. The meat of my posts far outweighs any personal attack on you, and yet you just ignore all that content.

It's pretty convenient for you to say you simply won't respond to anyone that you consider to be rude. Then you can just avoid any arguments that you don't know how to handle. Slick.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 10/15/2006 18:26:42
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  18:28:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
quote:
Well not everyone who has done some good deeds; has read the Bible; and worships, is a Christian.
Not everyone who does good deeds and has read the Bible is Christian - true. I certainly fit in that category.

But not everyone who worships??? OK, if they worship their ancestors, or the sun, or Zeus, they are not Christian. But if they worship the Christian God and believe that Jesus was the Messiah, they are Christian, regardless of anything else.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  18:29:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

It's quite unbelievable that you're getting all huffy about being called a liar, but then turn around and imply that Nancy Pelosi is a liar.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  20:58:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

What is your point?

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  00:33:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox

It's pretty convenient for you to say you simply won't respond to anyone that you consider to be rude. Then you can just avoid any arguments that you don't know how to handle. Slick.
Seriously, has he been able to handle any argument here?

This is a standard creationist/apologist "debate" style. Lie, dodge and slander, when you are called on it, cry foul and pretend that it is your opponents that are rude so you do not have to defend anything.

Pretty absurd, isn't it? A Coulter fan accusing people of being rude.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  06:38:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:

Unfortunately I will have to add Dr. Mabuse to my list of people I will ignore because of his rude comments.

Please let me know exactly what statement (quote passage please) that was found rude, and I will try to amend.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  17:18:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

GK Paul, I've spoken with Jesuits who could make this hard-headed skeptic's head spin and ache as they propounded their nonsense. The Jesuits were especially good at using logic -- it was missing only in key areas, and this lack was well-disguised. Jesuits are highly trained in apologetics.

But over and over here (as in your willfully ignorant, hand-waving dismissal of the Big Bang), you are using the worst kind of vulgar logical fallacies in your arguments, particularly "argument from ignorance" and "argument from personal incredulity."

(I won't even delve here into your repeated but dishonored promises to define and give evidence for your Trinity.)

From Wiki:
quote:
Argument from ignorance

The two most common forms of the argument from ignorance, both fallacious, can be reduced to the following form:

* Something is currently unexplained or insufficiently explained, so it was not (or could not be) true.
* Because there appears to be a lack of evidence for one hypothesis, another chosen hypothesis is therefore considered proven.

An adage regarding this fallacy from the philosophy of science is that "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence": not having evidence for something is not proof that something is not or cannot be true. Similarly, merely not having evidence for a particular proposition is not proof that an alternative proposition is instead the case--it is in fact simply lack of evidence, and nothing more.
[edit]

Argument from personal incredulity

Two common versions of the argument from personal incredulity are:

* "I can't believe this is possible, so it can't be true" (The person is asserting that a proposition must be wrong because he or she is (or claims to be) unable or unwilling to fully consider that it might be true, or is unwilling to believe evidence which does not support her or his preferred view.)
* "That's not what people say about this; people instead agree with what I am saying." (Here the person is asserting that a proposition must be inaccurate because the opinion of "people in general" is claimed to agree with the speaker's opinion, without offering specific evidence in support of the alternative view.)
Now, please work on your skills at apologetics!

I said in Part 2 of this forum that I would respond to questions once you told me your belief system and how you believe the world was created. You told me your belief system but you did not tell me how you believed the world was created.

Way back on Page 11 of Part 2 of this topic, I indeed did give you the two replies you demanded:
quote:
I'm an atheist. Meaning, in my case, I see no evidence of deities. In biology and cosmology, I accept that science is the best available approach to learning truths.
You apparently don't think that the third sentence states my "belief" about "how the world was created." If I ever expected you to do so, I no longer have high hopes that you will uphold your promise to define and give evidence for your Trinity, because you have proved evasive and dishonest to everyone who has caved in to your demands, even those who did so very, very "politely."

But nevertheless, I will, with thoughts of your forthcoming reply as an object lesson, define my last sentence more thoroughly.

First, science does not involve "belief" as you would define it in religious terms. Science creates evolving theories to attempt to answer questions about the physical world. Some theories are overturned completely as new evidence arrives on the scene. Other theories evolve over time, with major or minor tweaks to make them conform to evidence.

Some theories are so sound and time-tested that they are considered for all practical purposes to be fact by most scientists. Darwin's Theory of Evolution and Einstein's Theory of Relativity are among such established theories. But even these theories are not exempt from criticism and correction within science. With extraordinary evidence, either theory might potentially be completely overturned. "Belief," as in faith, is not involved with scientific theories. Nothing is sacrosanct.

However, let me define a special case of "belief" just for this discussion. This "belief" is the everyday version, as in "I believe it will be colder this Winter than is was last Summer." Note, no faith is required, only a calculation, formally or otherwise, of probabilities.

In this sense, I "believe" that the earth and the other planets in the solar system condensed out of a rotating disk of solids and gasses which orbited the sun, about 4.5 billion years ago. The evidence of this planet formation process, and its approximate date, is overwhelming.

Further, I "believe" that the first life ancestral to our own appeared on earth about 3.5 billion years ago. (At this time, the origins of life on earth are much less clearly understood than is the formation of the planet itself, since evidence runs the gamut from scarce to none.)

This Wiki article sums up scientific theories and hypotheses about the origin of the earth as a planet and various possible means of life's appearance upon it. I generally "believe" the Wiki's explanations.

Now, was that too "rude" to deserve a reply, GK? Once we are honored by being put on your "ignore list," do we stay there?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 10/16/2006 17:23:18
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  17:39:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

quote:

Unfortunately I will have to add Dr. Mabuse to my list of people I will ignore because of his rude comments.

Please let me know exactly what statement (quote passage please) that was found rude, and I will try to amend.

Sorry, I'll have to rephrase:

Please someone ask GK Paul exactly what statement (quote passage please) that he found rude, and I will try to amend.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  17:56:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
GK Paul, exactly what statement by Dr. Mabuse (quote passage please) did you find rude? He states that he will try to amend.

Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  21:58:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Dr. Mabuse and HalfMooner sucked up to the spoiled child

I've heard of feeding trolls but that is IMO quite silly.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  00:22:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
For those of you who believe in the Big Bang here is an article that says the bible taught it first.

http://www.reasons.org/resources/fff/2000issue03/index.shtml#big_bang_the_bible_taught_it_first

--------------

"Something cannot come from nothing" -- Ken Tanaka, geologist

"Something cannot come from nothing" -- Ken Tanaka - geologist

"The existence of a Being endowed with intelligence and wisdom is a necessary inference from a study of celestial mechanics" --Sir Isaac Newton

GK Paul
Edited by - GK Paul on 10/17/2006 00:30:20
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  01:33:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

quote:
Dr. Mabuse and HalfMooner sucked up to the spoiled child

I've heard of feeding trolls but that is IMO quite silly.

Who's the quote from?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.86 seconds.