Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  07:27:25  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All members and lurkers.....

I have received an e-mail from a source identified as "Infidel Guy", apparently a man named Reggie something.

IG is experiencing severe financial difficulties and is pleading for help, else he may have to permanently close his site, move, and re-join the Army, because he can't find a job!

I understand that Reggie or "Infidel Guy" is active in the Skeptic community.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to keep abreast of other Internet Skeptic sites and although I have devoted a good deal of time and effort to SFN in the past year, I am childishly ignorant of other skeptic sites and personalities on the Internet. I am sure that there are members here that know much about Reggie, the Infidel Guy.

I would like to solicit comment, from anyone reading this, concerning The Infidel Guy. Good, bad, or indifferent. I am fortunately in a position to be able to provide Infidel Guy with some financial assistance. I know very little about him. I would like to hear comment concerning him and his site prior to discussing providing funding to him. I would hope that such comment would be posted here instead of in a PC, because if you don't want IG to hear want you want to say, I wouldn't trust it anyway.

I appreciate any help anyone can offer here!

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  07:37:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He is a skeptic; based in Atlanta.

I know that Derek and Swoopy from Skepticality meet with him in the past; they mentioned it on their podcast...

And that's about all I know about the guy... sorry.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  08:09:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I may kick down a couple of bucks. I dunno. I have very mixed feelings about this.

Bill:
I would like to solicit comment, from anyone reading this, concerning The Infidel Guy. Good, bad, or indifferent. I am fortunately in a position to be able to provide Infidel Guy with some financial assistance. I know very little about him. I would like to hear comment concerning him and his site prior to discussing providing funding to him. I would hope that such comment would be posted here instead of in a PC, because if you don't want IG to hear want you want to say, I wouldn't trust it anyway.

Just to refresh your memory Bill. remember this thread?

The Infidel Guy did not like my post...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  09:30:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kil.....

Yeah, I remember now despite my CRAFT syndrome (can't remember a fucking thing).

I think you have effectively answered my questions about the estimable Reggie. He deserves to go back in the Army!

Now if I only had a worthy cause for which to raise some money......!
Sigh....guess I'll give to the Evangelical Republican Baptist Bastards for Christ to fight abortion and harass gays!
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  09:45:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reggie's been a long time on the internet with a lot of stuff for atheists.

He was also on ABC's Wife Swap. Now that I think of it, when I get time, I'll look for a clip on YouTube.

Personally, I have other things to use my money for, if I had any, but he's not someone that I've taken much interest in. Not necessarily his fault.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 10/27/2008 09:46:04
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  10:45:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is my e-mail reply to Reggie and his response to me.

Any comments, anybody?

bng to Reggie

Reggie.....

Received your e-mail.

Please go to http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10566 and then be sure to follow the link to http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9512

Reggie, if you have any comment as to the events referred to by Kil (David Gluck), please e-mail them to me at bngbuck@roadrunner.com.

I will maintain an open mind pending your reply.

Bill Buck
Reggie response to bng

The seems one of opinion and some post even understand where I was coming
from. I don't understand what I'm supposed to doing with this. I am very
well aware of that site and those posts. I just don't care. Everyone has
there opinion about the way someone runs a site. My rule is now first time
spamming. That's all. Everyone knows that my sites are very open and free.
That I'ma stickler about because usually, if I don't nip it in the bud..
it get's worse. Also, I didn't know who that person. All I'm seeing is a
username posting a link.

If I did the same. I wouldn't have emailed the person. Once I was told
that there was no first time spam posts as the policy. I would have simply
understand.. and moved on.

1.) Simple rule.
2.) He could have posted using his signature.

I refuse to argue about a simple and very common policy I might add.

-- Reggie

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  17:48:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gee whiz. It sounds like he still thinks I spammed his site. Again, I think Finely deserves some kudos for being the first out there with an online freethinking show. Now if only he could develop the ability to admit when he is wrong. But oh well.

I was actually considering a donation even though I am still on disability, after I received his, would it be unseemly to call it a spam email request? I call it spam because it's the only thing I have ever received from him outside of our little debate.

Oh well. He is what he is. We could have been friends if he had played his hand differently. I offered my hand to him. Obviously he doesn't care about that. And really, I don't either.

So it goes...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  18:23:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kil.....

Any guy that identifies himself as "Reginald Vaughn Finley, Sr." has some major ego auto-inflation problem, or more likely, a huge self-identification problem. I'm sure he deserves some kudos for being on the Net first with a skeptical forum/blogsite, but the insecure asshole is a world-class jerk!
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  20:58:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
bng said:

You could always make a donation to Dude's scholarship fund!

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  23:06:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gee whiz. It sounds like he still thinks I spammed his site.

To me, it seems like he still thinks that he would rather enforce his policy universally than to have to deal with pondering and making judgment calls over every post that violates his spam rule. And I really can't say I blame him.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 10/27/2008 23:06:58
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  23:09:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

bng said:

Or you could sponsor a graduate student. For just 29 cents a day, your contribution would relive a graduate student from having to reuse coffee filters.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 10/27/2008 23:10:26
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  23:55:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

Nah. A waste of money. You never learn.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  03:34:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For what its worth, I also had a run in with him, and found him rude and dictatorial. Oddly it was a few years ago and it was in regard to his begging for money or his world would end...back then. Seems more and more kind of like an evangelical sales pitch to me. Always claiming the end is high unless you offer your tithe.

Bah
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  03:56:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have listened to a few of his shows that are freely available and liked them, just not enough to donate money. Otherwise I would have done that years ago.

In the end it comes down to this for me. I can send extra money to him or to a charity like medicins sans frontrières or warchild. And despite the fact that I think skepticism is important, as charities go there are more important things. I might donate money to the dutch skeptic society in the future, but that is because I get a magazine in return that I'll actually read.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  05:23:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chefcrsh

For what its worth, I also had a run in with him, and found him rude and dictatorial. Oddly it was a few years ago and it was in regard to his begging for money or his world would end...back then. Seems more and more kind of like an evangelical sales pitch to me. Always claiming the end is high unless you offer your tithe.

Bah

EDIT: I guess this is what bngbuck is referring to?

Friends, Family, Listeners, Fans. Please Don't let us go Off the air!

I/We need your help!

For almost a decade The Infidel Guy show has been a voice of reason right to your PC. Now, IG.com is under threat of disappearing. Obama talked about the small businesses that are losing customers and can't get loans. Well.. IG.com was one of those. Over the past 3 years we have lost over 75% of our subscriber base. Over 95% of the cancellations were the result of gold members losing their jobs. This isn't enough to keep the site going as well as my children fed and healthy. After fighting and losing to keep staff and volunteers, I just may have to throw in the towel. After struggling for years to make IG.com a success, I am now heavily considering re-enlisting into the Army again. This is no joke! Infidelguy.com is now currently in it's most dire state since it's inception in 1999. I am already speaking with recruiters. :(

We ask that if you haven't ever supported the show, please support it now. Any amount, $1, $5 or far more will help greatly. With over 100,000 fans around the world I know we can do it if we just put our money together. My show has always been listener driven. Without you, no show. Please help! You are my only hope.

Why the military again? You ask? Well, to be honest, I can't seem to find a decent paying job with benefits to save my life. After the background check.. they are through with me. I speculate that my activism could be a major cause related to me not getting jobs. As a result, I feel as if I don't have much choice anymore but to go into the Army again. My children need health benefits and a bed to sleep in.

QUESTION: At worst, what can happen if I don't support the show?

Well, without continued support. IG.com can possibly be off the air permanently.

I may still have to join the military even with some support. If that occurs, I will bring someone in to take over the show until I'm assigned to my first duty station. If I get the job I'm considering with the Army.. I will be in refresher basic for one month and then School for 40 weeks. If I can afford a Laptop.. I will be able to conduct a form of the show until I'm out of school. Once at my permanent duty station, I should be able to put the show back up. All this hedges however, on you all still supporting me through this rough time.

That said... In case this all becomes reality, I am looking for a temporary host(s) to take my place until I return as host again. However.. I could potentially be out of commission for almost a year! And fictional heaven forbid if I'm deployed. I truly have no idea when I'd be able to conduct a show again.

QUESTION: OKAY, How can I help?

Well you can donate and/or pledge a monthly amount to keep us going. The Infidel Guy is the founder of atheistforums.com, thesecrethatesamputees.com, freethinkerfinder.com, and co-founder of atheistnetwork.com as well. If you value these communities and sites, please help keep that going by donating what you can. I am also looking for major sponsors. I would also love to be a voice for other freethought groups that may need more presence on the web. Email me and let's talk about it: infidelguy@infidelguy.com

We offer many different ways for you to help. Register via infidelguy.com and later become a gold member. Gold members get access to over 800 hours of freethought listening. The student rate is a low $4.50/month. That's less than a fraction of a cent per show.

Please help keep me fighting for freethought at home.

Various Methods to donate are at infidelguy.com/index.html

For those that have donated already thank you very much. I will keep the site up as long as I can but new shows may not be a reality until my financial situation improves and I get to my duty station. Which could take almost a year.

Thank you for allowing this emergency broadcast. If you'd like to host the show while I'm away.. please email me.

-- Reggie Finley Sr
infidelguy@infidelguy.com

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Edited by - the_ignored on 10/28/2008 05:25:55
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  07:02:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Derek and Swoopy are still doing Skepticality as a hobby.

They may be the official pod-cast of Skeptic Magazine, but they don't get much money for the effort. Barely enough to have their website on the server. And their forum software cost too, it's not open source like the Snitz-forum SFN uses.

If you have cash lying around waiting to get donated for a worthy cause, then I suggest Skepticality is a more worthy recipient.

Skepticality's episode archive:
http://www.skepticality.com/p_listentopast.php

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds.