Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  07:26:56  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This thread is for posting comments about the SFN article “Fundamentalists Hate Noah's Ark” Please try to keep posts on topic. Only registered users may post comments.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  22:02:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The other big question I like to ask is; where were all the aquariums? The fundies now giggle and point and say "The Earth was covered in WATER, silly! He didn't need aquariums!" Aha, says I to myself says I, they'll feel like a right bunch of charlies when I explain this to them (rubs hands and affects leering smile...).

Attend, oh ye of little natural history knowledge - you can't seriously think that water is water is water, can you? There are many different qualities to the stuff laying around on the surface of this planet, from the almost pure to the toxic-as-hell-to-almost-everything variety. Most aquatic organisms have rather strict limits of salinity, acidity/alkalinity, hardness, mineral content, etc., therefore most could not survive in the brackish mixture that would exist after a crapload of floodwater mixed with the oceans. So, now we need aquariums to keep all the stuff inhabiting oceans, lakes, rivers, ponds, bogs, swamps, and marshes. Some of them are big, some are so tiny that even catching will not be possible with primitive equipment, and identifying them to make sure you have two of each will require a microscope.

You can obviously take the details a lot further, but I think the general idea is obvious - fundies will be hard-pressed to come up with a scientific explanation. Time to call on the Big Guy for another miracle!

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Edited by - The Rat on 08/15/2007 22:03:27
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  16:03:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think the Bible said that the fish would be reduced in the same manner as the land-dwellers. But your point with salinity and mineral content of the water, and such, is an important one.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  16:53:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It must be remembered that the creators of the Flood yarn had not the faintest concept of water chemistry. To them, it was either fresh or salt, potable or not drinkable. As far as they knew, fish could survive a world-wide flood easily. Further, they considered the world to have, "four corners," implying that it was flat. When you factor in the tiny area that they lived in and their limited knowledge of the lands beyond it, then a 'global' flood becomes not so impossible from their point of view.

Unfortunately, many modern peoples who should know better have that same point of view.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  09:58:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At the moment of this writing, we are experiencing a metaphorical flood of people reading "Fundamentalists Hate Noah's Ark," most likely because it is (as of this writing) in 8th place on the home page of Reddit.com. There are many comments over there, including many insightful gems. filthy, you might consider responding to a few of them, at least, here in this thread.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  12:36:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

At the moment of this writing, we are experiencing a metaphorical flood of people reading "Fundamentalists Hate Noah's Ark," most likely because it is (as of this writing) in 8th place on the home page of Reddit.com. There are many comments over there, including many insightful gems. filthy, you might consider responding to a few of them, at least, here in this thread.
Wow! I like those people! I especally liked this comment from w3weasel 7:
w3weasel 7 points 2 hours ago*
The author of this article is quite simply delusional.
Anyone who knows God (Jahova), knows that he has an awesome sense of humor and a flare for the dramatic. Obviously, as the creator of all things, in their infinite complexity, he is quite able to engineer a boat made of wood that could be 600 feet long... it could be 6,000,000 feet long if he wanted. God is infallable and can design an unsinkable ship of any size (obvious to all).
Furthermore, just as the loaves and fishes were multiplied to feed a multitude, a few felled trees by Noah could be multiplied. When God wrote the bible, he didn't feel the need to put every little detail in there, and obviously, multiplying the wood wasn't an important lesson for us mortals to learn.
Just as the wood can be multiplied, so can the foodstuffs for all those animals. Or even better, God probably just made sure they were all dosed up on Aderall and Phen-Phen, and so had no desire to eat.
Now, for fitting all those beasts into the boat, as well as what happened to all the plants... God simply teleported them, storing their molecular patterns in the Heisenberg compensator (a technique that works flawlessly in star-trek) while the boat was floating. He simultaneously cause Noah and family to have delusions that all of the animals were there, lest he grow concerned.
And finally, while Noah assumes the water has risen to cover the whole of the world, It is far more likely that God chose to flatten and submerge the land masses, although he certainly could if he wanted, cause a few hundred trillion cubic meters of water to appear for a while, and then dissapear.
Authors like this fail to grasp the fundamental truth that God is all powerful and all knowing. When he does stuff that seems impossible, its clearly done to test your faith so he can figure out who goes on the naughty list. Don't believe in a 3,000 year old world? Don't buy the repeated genocides God layed down upon the wicked (and some good people who were in the way)? Don't believe that some chick got knocked up without knowing a man, had a kid who could do whatever he wanted, was god and knew everything but still allowed himself to get nailed to a chunk of wood? You sir are a heathen!
You see, this is just as easy to explain from a biblical standpoint as it is to debunk from a scientific standpoint. And since we ALL know that science was invented by god to test our faith (the scientists are on the naughty list!), then I win this arguement and you cannot prove me wrong.
neener neener neener
</sarcasm>
Bolding mine. Hey, well said, Weas!

I also like the inference that Dione Warwick was hangin' in here. C'mon out babe, yer cover's blown!

The piece seems to be well recieved, although there were some few quibbles on the title. But that's ok too, 'cause titles are mere eye-catchers. Apparently, this one snagged a lot of biological, visual sensors.

I'd not heard of Reddit.com before, but they seem pretty rational. I'll have to check it out a bit closer.

Thanks Dave!

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  14:09:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

I'd not heard of Reddit.com before, but they seem pretty rational. I'll have to check it out a bit closer.
Some more rational than others. Reddit is a site, like Digg.com, where people submit links to other sites that they find interesting. Then, other members of Reddit get to vote, up or down, on whether they like it, too. The better a Web page is received, the closer to #1 it'll go (on the home page), guaranteeing that lots of other people at least see the title. In other words, the members over there are just people, they're not particularly skeptical or a-religious or anything.

The article is down to 23rd place as of this writing, and the flood of visitors is falling off. We maxed out at 622 people online here at once (beating the snot out of April's record of 133), and nearly 600 of them were reading your article, filthy. Right now, there are only 200-something people reading it.

Last month, our article, "The Bible's Bad Fruits" got a similar treatment from another site like Reddit and Digg, but nothing close to even 133 viewers at once (a couple dozen, yes, but over 2,000 total in its first day). The top-10 list ought to be interesting this-coming Saturday night.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  14:27:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Some more rational than others. Reddit is a site, like Digg.com, where people submit links to other sites that they find interesting. Then, other members of Reddit get to vote, up or down, on whether they like it, too. The better a Web page is received, the closer to #1 it'll go (on the home page), guaranteeing that lots of other people at least see the title. In other words, the members over there are just people, they're not particularly skeptical or a-religious or anything.

The article is down to 23rd place as of this writing, and the flood of visitors is falling off. We maxed out at 622 people online here at once (beating the snot out of April's record of 133), and nearly 600 of them were reading your article, filthy. Right now, there are only 200-something people reading it.

Last month, our article, "The Bible's Bad Fruits" got a similar treatment from another site like Reddit and Digg, but nothing close to even 133 viewers at once (a couple dozen, yes, but over 2,000 total in its first day). The top-10 list ought to be interesting this-coming Saturday night.
Wow! I've been hanging here for a long time and have never seen that much action. I kinda/sorta look at the guest numbers on the messenger link now & again and I've noticed a considerable increase but didn't realize it was that big.

I just signed up over there and wrote them a 'thankee kindly.' Their boards work differently from ours and I think I screwed it up, but it's posted.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  16:23:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats, Fil! Good thinking and good writing will get attention.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  17:17:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And now, 14 hours since its submission, the article has fallen to #37 on Reddit, well off the front page. We've still got a hundred guests (or so) looking at it, though.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  22:14:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, last week's numbers are in. I may have been fascinated watching the minute-to-minute action on Reddit, but the logs here tell us that over 17,000 of the 33,001 views of your article in the last week (!), filthy, came from StumbleUpon.com, with only a "measley" 11,000-plus hits coming from Reddit. Either number is astounding by itself. The combination is fantastic!

Congrats, filthy! Break out the champagne.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2007 :  04:01:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Well, last week's numbers are in. I may have been fascinated watching the minute-to-minute action on Reddit, but the logs here tell us that over 17,000 of the 33,001 views of your article in the last week (!), filthy, came from StumbleUpon.com, with only a "measley" 11,000-plus hits coming from Reddit. Either number is astounding by itself. The combination is fantastic!

Congrats, filthy! Break out the champagne.
Mother of Gawd!

I don't much like champagne, but Mother of Gawd!!

I knew it was going to be a pretty good one when I first started crow-barring it out of the slag heap, but even after we'd cleaned & polished it, I had no inkling it would be so widely read.

Dawkins, eat yer heart out!

Dave, I will mention again: You get all editing credits for it. It would not have been neatly as good without your work and advice, and any decent writer will say the same for his own editor(s). We're good, but not so good that we don't need to see the words & phrases from a perspective different from our own. It's sometimes, even often discouraging but always enlightening.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2007 :  04:56:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Woo-hoo!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2007 :  08:45:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The God Delusion had sold over 700,000 copies by the start of 2007.
Dave, I will mention again: You get all editing credits for it.
Well thank you very much! Let's hope this partnership last a good, long time.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2007 :  11:32:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The God Delusion had sold over 700,000 copies by the start of 2007.
Dave, I will mention again: You get all editing credits for it.
Well thank you very much! Let's hope this partnership last a good, long time.
Of course it did! But look at how many more words & pages it has in it. It's all a matter of proportion.

For sure. Being compulsive, I'm always kinda/sorta scribbling at & about something and once in a while a scribble actually goes somewhere other than back to the odd-info slag heap whence it came. Usually even before a single word is written.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  05:32:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See this review of some Christian gaming company's simulation of Noah's Ark. (warning - if you have a sensitive constitution - this video drops a lot of f-bombs.)

There are 2 Ark games in this video amongst other Bible games, one at the beginning and one at the end. The one at the end of the video is "Super 3D Noah's Ark". For some reason, there are no dinosaurs.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 10/08/2007 05:43:42
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.34 seconds.