status
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ocheewah
Skeptic Friend

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  12:14:16  Show Profile Send ocheewah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just curious how long one has to be a member of SFN before the "New Member" label disappears from your name. Although I don't often post, I've been a member for several years. What do I need to do to complete my apprenticeship?

Those who danced were thought quite insane by those who could not hear the music.

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  12:16:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ocheewah

Just curious how long one has to be a member of SFN before the "New Member" label disappears from your name. Although I don't often post, I've been a member for several years. What do I need to do to complete my apprenticeship?

Have you met the man in the goat costume yet?

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

ocheewah
Skeptic Friend

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  12:18:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ocheewah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Had dinner with him the other night.

Those who danced were thought quite insane by those who could not hear the music.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  12:34:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It is based on number of posts. So you need to post more often!

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  13:04:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

What do I need to do to complete my apprenticeship?
Get to 50 posts.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  13:06:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Had dinner with him the other night.

Four more posts. Of course, they must be of great substance and import.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  13:07:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See also this thread...
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  13:13:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quantity and not quality counts on these forums

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  13:42:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

True of the default setup for Snitz and most other forum software.

You know, one might make the suggestion that we eliminate the silly post-count rankings.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  17:04:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote

How one would even measure "quality" anyhow? Without having a dedicated set of individuals using a set of grading criteria and looking at each post. Perhaps more theistically-focused sites have a system in place?
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  18:10:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

How one would even measure "quality" anyhow? Without having a dedicated set of individuals using a set of grading criteria and looking at each post. Perhaps more theistically-focused sites have a system in place?

The most common system is that anyone can approve or disapprove of another's post. Some even allow for rating a post with numbers 1-10.

Counts for what, exactly?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  18:47:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ricky

Originally posted by Cuneiformist

The most common system is that anyone can approve or disapprove of another's post. Some even allow for rating a post with numbers 1-10.
I've seen such systems, but they seemed to have little merit. Of course, being judged a "novice" based on some arbitrary number of posts also seems kind of silly.
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  19:46:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Not true. The only thing that a post count describes accurately is the number of posts a person has made.

A post count may be a useful indicator of how long a member has been around, which may indicate something as well. If you post to someone who's had 6 posts in 2 years, you [probably shouldn't jump up and down if they don't reply straight away. Conversely, you'd probably be a little foolish to post underestimate the experience someone has with "typical" skeptical topics, of that someone has been around and stayed interested long enough to get thousands of posts under their belt.

A post count is just a freaking metric. Use it or ignore it as you will.

The rating thing, as others have hinted at, doesn't really add much value, in my opinion.

If you wander around the internet, you'll often see someone with a sig along these lines:

You are not your post count. You are not your rep. You are not your title. You are not your blog. You are not your avatar. You are not your knowledge of the rules or your last article. You are not your painting or modeling skills. You are not your location, rating, profile comments, friends or armies. You are not your signature.

I agree, but don't feel there are enough status junkies at SFN to warrant making it my own.

Edit: I am a little annoyed that I forgot to do something "special" for my 666th post a little while ago. Had I really been thinking, I would've stopped there and registered a new handle, forever convincing those with the appropriate psychoses that JohnOAS was (or was taken by) the antichrist. Maybe in the next life, oh well.

John's just this guy, you know.
Edited by - JohnOAS on 11/06/2007 19:50:13
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.