Back to Skeptic Summary
Skeptic Summary #122
By The Staff
Posted on: 12/17/2006
Send Kil, convert or debug, legal literacy, O'Reilly's kneejerking, Carl Sagan and more!
Week ending December 16, 2006 (Vol 3, #49)
Welcome to the Skeptic Summary, a quick week-in-review guide to the Skeptic Friends Network and the rest of the skeptical world.
The SFN would like to send Kil back to the Amaz!ing Meeting next January, and you can help!Forum Highlights:
‘Convert or die’ game divides Christians - It’s not only the message; the game really sucks.Kil’s Evil Pick:
The courts are sorely lacking in science literacy - But, in all honesty, aren’t we all?
Editor’s Choice: O’Reilly and Dawkins, claiming child abuse? - Three stupidities in one!
The Carl Sagan PortalChat Highlights:
Sunday: Movies, old and very old; the STS-116 space mission; the body and prosthetics; relationships; artistic streak and music.New Members This Week:
Wednesday: Reminiscing of school years and grad school started up chat. Then, Dr. Mabuse explains how his salary is calculated. Apparently you need a four year degree just to figure it out. Then, onto Christmas as Dave W.’s Lego adventure continues. This time it’s Star Wars. Ricky shares another link that makes fun of Macs. Atomic mentions an idea for chess set and everything goes out of control as everyone comes up with their own. Some examples are, “Sunnis vs Shhites,” “Catholic vs Science,” “Corporeal vs Non Corporeal,” “UFOs vs Southern Farmers,” “Nerds Who Like Picard vs Nerds Who Like Kirk” and “Zen vs.” There were many more, but far to numerous to mention here. The rest of chat was a brainstorming session on how to build a CPU or ALU out of Legos, followed by Dave W. and Ricky playing around with a debugging program.
Come chat with us.
annie - spannie
(Not a member? Become one today!)
Elsewhere in the World:
Bad ScienceBook of the Week:
CSICOP becomes CSI after thirty years
Skepticality #042 — The Mythbusters (Adam, Jamie and Kari) from TAM 4
What’s New by Bob Park
Got some skeptic news items? Send them to us, and we’ll think about adding them.
Outgrowing the Bible: the Journey from Fundamentalism to Freethinking, by Russell Scott Brinegar.
This Week’s Most-Viewed Pages:
- IC nominee might not know what he is doing (524 views)
- Are skepticism and Buddhism compatible? (400 views)
- Should my child be allowed to believe in Santa? (380 views)
- The definitive disproof of the free will argument (369 views)
- Theistic evolution (232 views)
- Big Bang (207 views)
- Caesar’s Messiah by Joseph Atwill (203 views)
- Anti-gay gays (197 views)
- ‘Convert or die’ game divides Christians (182 views)
- Human hair before razor and shears appeared (176 views)
There were 4,538 daily visitors this week.
- Miracle Thaw — The Bogus Miracle (81 views)
- Cold Reading (78 views)
- Kent Hovind is a Big Phony! (67 views)
- Miracle Thaw Tray (60 views)
- Skeptic Summary #39 (45 views)
- Skeptic Summary #121 (42 views)
- Dr. Dino doesn’t like our Jack Chick spoof! (36 views)
- Why Do Creationists Fear Evolution? (36 views)
- The Bible’s Bad Fruits (34 views)
- The Bible Answer Man (33 views)
More issues of the Skeptic Summary can be found in our archive.
The Skeptic Summary is produced by the staff of the Skeptic Friends Network, copyright 2006, all rights reserved.
Read or Add Comments about the Skeptic Summary