Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  17:42:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Landrew

Originally posted by filthy

And I'll just err on the side of leaving you crabby bunch of wannabe philosophers to your own little treefort.
Why split so arbitrarily? Why not stay and show us the error of our line of thought? Really, if you think that you have a valid argument, on any topic, you should stay and present it.

Hurt feelings are not a good reason to abandon your principals, and who can say; you might be able to convince us. Neither of us know that yet. And if not, you can, perhaps, gain a little knowledge from us, the most important gift the universe can bestow upon a living organism. And it's all for free.

Crabby I might be, but a philosopher, wannabe or otherwise, I am not. I am merely another skeptic, as are we all.

Think about it.....

Because if you are the reasonable one in the bunch, the averages are still too low for me to waste any more of my time here.
I'm afraid that I don't understand. What averages and how are they calculated? And I assure you that if I think I am right, I can be far more unreasonable than most anyone. Ain't that true, guys?

However, I feel that you simply failed to research this site and got in a little minor trouble because you didn't understand exactly what we do here.

So, I'll make a suggestion: lurk for a while and get to know us. Then, if you decide to return, we'll get off to a fresh start. 'k?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 07/07/2009 17:44:31
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  18:38:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think he's saying that he alone is the only reasonable one here posting at SFN, and the rest of the bunch are, well, unreasonable. And thus, the discussion with such unreasonable people isn't worth his time.

Still sounds more like "I can't defend my position" rather than "I've made several serious efforts to make my point and have been underwhelmed by your replies" to me.

The 9/11 conspiracy crowd tried harder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  19:16:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Landrew is doing nothing more than whining about the sour grapes, isn't he?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Landrew

44 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  20:19:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Landrew a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a sad excuse for a forum. My biggest mistake is thinking a cogent argument could carry some weight here. Instead it's just a childish game of name calling and inane chatter.

God bless women, for without them there would be no cookies.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  20:37:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

My biggest mistake is thinking a cogent argument could carry some weight here.
Please, Landrew, please present a cogent and substantive argument (that isn't a thinly-veiled personal attack) on any subject. I don't think you've done so, yet. Certainly not in this thread. I'll go check the others...

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  20:41:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote

This is a sad excuse for a forum. My biggest mistake is thinking a cogent argument could carry some weight here. Instead it's just a childish game of name calling and inane chatter.
No, I'd say that your biggest mistake is thinking that you put forward a cogent argument.

Your initial post argued that it is "a fallacy to imagine that good [conclusions] can always be cooked up instantly and on the spot. There is something to be said for skeptical uncertainty."

In general, no one would argue that "good conclusions" are always "cooked up instantly," but many would agree that "skeptical uncertainly" is of value when data are lacking.

Your next few posts consisted of some name calling ("being obtuse"; "can you not read") and then asserted that "challenging the assertion that all fence-sitting is a bad thing, which is the impression [you] have had from several postings in here."

You didn't offer examples, and I can't think of one where "fence-sitting" has been openly derided at SFN.

People asked you about this, and in your fourth post to the thread, you wondered what people were talking about. By your fifth post, you snidely remark that "any forum that purports to offer a free forum for philosophical discussion, yet promotes a particular point of view does not value intellectual freedom," yet in this thread, you've offered virtually nothing in the form of philosophical discussion. In your sixth post, you return to insults ("you crabby bunch of wannabe philosophers"). Same with the seventh post, and the eighth ("this is a sad excuse for a forum").

I'm sure that if you offered some reasonable replies to our questions, or bothered to clarify your point (note: in this thread, you've done nothing of the sort) you might get more satisfaction. As it stands, though, you're left looking every bit the internet troll.

Indeed, you've commented more than once that you are uninterested in furthering discussion in the forum, and yet you continue to post.
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 07/07/2009 21:31:49
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  21:22:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are Landrew's other threads:

Thread: A new extremophile… - No name-calling. Argument presented based on what Landrew can imagine (which is neither cogent nor substantive).

Thread: Argumentum ad populum - No name-calling. Argument vague, partly based upon a well-known myth. When asked for details, Landrew stops replying.

Thread: Argumentum ad ignorantum -- the willful sort. - Only Dude name-calls. Landrew's only real argument presented is to ask for verification of facts, which, when presented, ends the discussion.

Thread: I don't think I can make it to this… - No argument, just a question, asked and answered.

Thread: God exists - Landrew insists that he has faith in reality, but gets no agreement. Switches to a different subject, no takers.

Thread: Johnny Darwin Seed - Landrew makes a funny.

Thread: K-T Extinction? - (Landrew's first!) Landrew agrees with what others are saying.

Thread: The List of Complete Idiots - Landrew asks for biographical info on all the Popes before he'll judge them to be idiots (on a joke thread). Then, Landrew tries and fails to argue that someone is suggesting that ridicule is science.

Thread: Randi and Global Warming - Landrew attempts to argue for restraint in jumping to the AGW conclusion, but refuses to post any argument that isn't vague or based upon fear of being wrong for all the wrong reasons. Landrew begs us to consider possibilities with zero evidence (Maunder Minimum). Landrew pointedly refuses to acknowledge basic facts, then starts making personal attacks in lieu of any argument at all (Dude then responds with name-calling), then vanishes when called on to answer direct questions.

Thread: Witch hunt! Destroy the evidence at once! - Landrew misses the point, tries to palm off anecdotes as evidence, and makes the all-too-ridiculous "freedom of choice" argument for alt-med, then flees the scene.

The above is what passes for "cogent argument" in your world, Landrew? The best you had going was perhaps your last post in "God exists," and that wasn't interesting enough for anyone to answer.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  21:46:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Indeed, you've commented more than once that you are uninterested in furthering discussion in the forum, and yet you continue to post.
[Deep, romantic Spanish accent]

We are like a drug. His brain says, "no, no!" but his heart says, "yes! Yessssss!"

[/Deep, romantic Spanish accent]

Seriously, Landrew's problem is obviously that he feels a need to get in a last word that stings, but it backfires because he just keeps digging himself deeper and deeper. It'd be funny if it weren't so pathetic. He clearly has only a grade-school understanding of science, logic and philosophy, but considers himself to be the top dog, talking down to us "wannabes." The more he does that, the more that he supports Dude's hypothesis.

So I'll ask again: PLEASE, Landrew, make a cogent and substantive (non-trivial) argument in favor of some position or other. If you really want to have a serious discussion, you'll find plenty of takers. And most of us don't hold grudges, so if you change how you post, we'll change how we respond (as is only appropriate).

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  00:15:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Call me the foul name of optomist if you must, but I think Landrew has something to contribute; he just needs to learn how do it. Whether he will or not remains to be seen.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Landrew

44 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  04:20:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Landrew a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Call me the foul name of optomist if you must, but I think Landrew has something to contribute; he just needs to learn how do it. Whether he will or not remains to be seen.

Absolutely not. Just read back on the tripe in this thread, and you'll see how pointless it would be for me to post any more ideas to this bitter little bunch. Last post. GOOD BYE.

God bless women, for without them there would be no cookies.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  05:54:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Absolutely not. Just read back on the tripe in this thread, and you'll see how pointless it would be for me to post any more ideas to this bitter little bunch. Last post. GOOD BYE.
*shrug* Bye, then.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  06:50:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Just read back on the tripe in this thread, and you'll see how pointless it would be for me to post any more ideas to this bitter little bunch.
Man, those grapes are definitely sour. When you beg a person to do what he suggests he wants to do and the response is a kiss-off, you know there's something else going on.
Last post.
I'll believe that when I see it.
GOOD BYE.
Hey, a little all-caps hysteria creeping in? Interesting.

I just noticed that Landrew quotes C.S. Lewis in his sig. If Lewis is where Landrew learned his philosophy, that would explain a lot.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  08:40:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think you're using the word "bitter" properly.

In any case, I don't know what you see when you read back on this thread, but the person who's posted with the least substance is you. Even though people have tried to engage you in a discussion, you've done nothing to further clarify your point and instead you've spent your time insulting those trying to understand your point.

Edited by - Cuneiformist on 07/08/2009 09:26:18
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  09:46:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Too much of our time is being spent on this. If Landrew is a troll, and I don't think that he is one, at least not purposefully, the time spent responding to him will only please him.

Seems to me that everything that can be said has been said. I don't understand the guy, but it isn't really important that I do. He clearly doesn't understand us, and that's okay too. Life goes on.

What I mean to say is this is one big shrug and an "oh well".

I would advise him to look up "scientific skepticism" just to save himself a lot of misery on the next skeptic forum he posts at.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  10:41:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote

This from the guy who refuses to engage in any actual debate/discussion?

Honestly, you need to bust out a dictionary and look up the definition of "cogent".

But since you are leaving and never posting again... you probably will choose to remain ignorant, just like in the global warming thread. Good luck with willful ignorance as a life choice.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds.