Claims List
Skeptic Links
Book Reviews
Gift Shop
Staff

Server Time: 02:55:28
Your Local Time:

Skeptic Summary

Printer Friendly Printer Friendly Version of this Article... Bookmark Bookmark This Article...

Skeptic Summary #90

By The Staff
Posted on: 5/6/2006

New feature, the big 10, Colbert and Bush (twice), Washington (again!), Icke reptiles, Kenneth Miller and more!

Week ending May 6, 2006 (Vol 3, #17)

Welcome to the Skeptic Summary, a quick week-in-review guide to the Skeptic Friends Network and the rest of the skeptical world.

New Summary Feature: For those who are interested in our website statistics, our Summary issues will now have, at the bottom, top-ten lists of the most popular forum topics and articles. The software which creates the lists attempts to reject “web bot” like Google or MSN, and instead only report page views by actual people. It isn’t perfect, but it’s about as close as we’re ever going to get.

Please feel free to offer your own comments about other features you would (or would not) like to see in future issues of the Skeptic Summary.

Forum Highlights:
I’ve got some questions about the ten commandments - Answered as only Verlch can.

Wish I’d been there… and Colbert Roasts Bush video - Colbert praises Bush, but gets a grumpy face for his troubles.

Editor’s Choice: I will be visiting Washington, D.C. - For the second week in a row: we need more active interest in this!

From the Archives: David Icke: King of Conspiracists - Did I hear “alien reptiles?”
Kil’s Evil Pick:
Kenneth Miller interview on The Colbert Report - By now you all know that I admire Kenneth Miller. Just to keep the Colbert theme going this week, I offer this for your consideration…
Chat Highlights:
Sunday: John McCain, the republican most respected by SFNers, prostitutes himself for Intelligent Design and sells his soul to the Devil for votes; political system’s limitations; Thank you for smoking; some movies should be seen on the Big Screen; not watching TV is unpatriotic, unless you spend your time at SFN. Also: flan (créme caramel); melting sugar; deep-dark chocolate and peanut butter; equal rights to call someone (or be called) bigot; it’s official: Stephen Colbert has the biggest balls in the world. Finally: Mabuse’s bike trip.

Wednesday: We experienced a small invasion of Jackass wannabees. Go figure. Seems that our chat room is a regular meeting place for some teens not much interested in skepticism or the SFN when we are not using it. Oh well. The important thing is that Bam finally showed up so Ryan didn’t have to leave feeling stood up. Otherwise, it was a typically successful chat night and all who attended had a real good time…

Come chat with us.
New Members Last Week:
ssrat
sammyraya
MUGGZ

(Not a member? Become one today!)

Elsewhere in the World:
Bad Science

The Skeptic’s Dictionary Newsletter 67

What’s New by Bob Park

Got some skeptic news items? Send them to us, and we’ll think about adding them.
Book of the Week:
A Short History of Nearly Everything, by Bill Bryson.

“…In A Short History of Nearly Everything, beloved author Bill Bryson confronts his greatest challenge yet: to understand — and, if possible, answer — the oldest, biggest questions we have posed about the universe and ourselves. Taking as his territory everything from the Big Bang to the rise of civilization, Bryson seeks to understand how we got from there being nothing at all to there being us. The result is a sometimes profound, sometimes funny, and always supremely clear and entertaining adventure in the realms of human knowledge, as only Bill Bryson can render it.”

— Book Description

This Week’s Most-Viewed Pages:
Forum Topics:
  1. favorite example of transitional fossils (928 views)
  2. Are athiests really all that angry? (834 views)
  3. Day of Bigotry (665 views)
  4. Darwinism: Sorcery in the Classroom (290 views)
  5. More Bush ‘Foot in Mouth’ Action! (281 views)
  6. Wish I’d been there… (279 views)
  7. Top 10 Reasons I am a skeptic (268 views)
  8. Colbert Roasts Bush video (258 views)
  9. Ali G on Religion video (217 views)
  10. Questions for a hypnotist (188 views)
Articles:
  1. Darwinism: Sorcery in the Classroom (85 views)
  2. Kent Hovind is a Big Phony! (76 views)
  3. Miracle Thaw — The Bogus Miracle (68 views)
  4. Evolution, Scientology Style (59 views)
  5. Miracle Thaw Tray (48 views)
  6. Cold Reading (48 views)
  7. Why Do Creationists Fear Evolution? (46 views)
  8. Skeptic Summary #89 (44 views)
  9. Evidence Cited as Hard Proof of the Existence of Satanic Cults (37 views)
  10. The Bible Answer Man (31 views)

More issues of the Skeptic Summary can be found in our archive.

The Skeptic Summary is produced by the staff of the Skeptic Friends Network, copyright 2006, all rights reserved.

Read or Add Comments about the Skeptic Summary

Back to Skeptic Summary

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds.