Claims List
Skeptic Links
Book Reviews
Gift Shop
Staff

Server Time: 17:58:49
Your Local Time:

Skeptic Summary

Printer Friendly Printer Friendly Version of this Article... Bookmark Bookmark This Article...

Skeptic Summary #102

By The Staff
Posted on: 7/29/2006

Technological Chick, funny FAQ, apt criticism, dishonest fiction, the whole universe and more!

Week ending July 29, 2006 (Vol 3, #29)

Welcome to the Skeptic Summary, a quick week-in-review guide to the Skeptic Friends Network and the rest of the skeptical world.

Forum Highlights:
It’s like Jack Chick, but with color! - They’re finally starting to accept the advancements in science

This cracked me up - But now you’re going to Hell. Was it worth it?

Wanjek column slams Trudeau’s latest book - For good reason, too.

Editor’s Choice: Town of Allopath - Definitely a work of fiction.
Kil’s Evil Pick:
A Brief History of the Universe - The universe for the rest of us…
Chat Highlights:
Sunday: Redecorating; drilling on bad ass concrete; wasp nests and garage sales; Dvorak simplified keyboard; The Parlor and the Bar were closed, only people hanging out in the Lobby. Also: Beers, bitters, lagers, ale, and stout.

Wednesday: Self-publishing books started us off for this week. The conversation quickly turned to current forum events, along with humanities and science, and how the two clash. How Taoist intuition is similar to Quantum Physics was the result. I’ll leave it up to the Uncertainty Principle to explain how we got there. On to atheism and agnosticism, which lead us to Carl Sagan, which lead us to “The Apple Episode.” That in turn lead into a debate on whether or not the current Apple commercials are lying, which they are. Then Dave finally became active and started showing us pictures from Photoshop Phriday. My personal favorites were the spell checker and 52 Card Pickup. I believe Dave gets a new record for spamming the chatroom with links with a whopping 82 in a single night. ’Til next week…

Come chat with us.
New Member This Week:
chewbaca
chaimFL
asg_amir05
Cze_026

(Not a member? Become one today!)

Elsewhere in the World:
Bad Science

Secondary Addiction Part III: Ann Coulter on Evolution

What’s New by Bob Park

Got some skeptic news items? Send them to us, and we’ll think about adding them.
Book of the Week:
More of the Straight Dope, by Cecil Adams.

“Since 1973, the redoubtable Cecil Adams has collected, corrected, inspected, and dissected thousands of reader’s questions, reporting his sagacious findings in the popular weekly column, The Straight Dope. His first book amazed millions. Now he returns with another incomparable compendium of fantastic facts, insouciant information, and delicious data on every subject of import to personkind: Is it true Thanksgiving was invented by the editor of Harper’s Bazaar? Why do your fingers wrinkle in the bathtub? and hundreds more burning questions explained at last!”

— Book Description

This Week’s Most-Viewed Pages:
Forum Topics:
  1. Is it just me or has SFN turned into liberal city? (974 views)
  2. Letter to Dawkins about ‘The Root of All Evil?’ (886 views)
  3. Surface of the Sun (Part 9) (342 views)
  4. A secret dictatorship? (255 views)
  5. Cruise ships become dangerously top-heavy (205 views)
  6. Surface of the Sun (part 8) (201 views)
  7. Texas public officials organize a pray-in for rain (188 views)
  8. It’s like Jack Chick, but with color! (122 views)
  9. Shocking video about voting machine fraud (120 views)
  10. This cracked me up (118 views)
Articles:
  1. Kent Hovind is a Big Phony! (90 views)
  2. Miracle Thaw — The Bogus Miracle (59 views)
  3. Skeptic Summary #101 (45 views)
  4. Miracle Thaw Tray (43 views)
  5. The Bible Answer Man (41 views)
  6. Dr. Dino doesn’t like our Jack Chick spoof! (36 views)
  7. Cold Reading (35 views)
  8. The Bible’s Bad Fruits (34 views)
  9. You’re an Idiot (34 views)
  10. Skeptic Summary #39 (31 views)
There were 3,679 daily visitors this week.

More issues of the Skeptic Summary can be found in our archive.

The Skeptic Summary is produced by the staff of the Skeptic Friends Network, copyright 2006, all rights reserved.

Read or Add Comments about the Skeptic Summary

Back to Skeptic Summary

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds.