Back to Skeptic Summary
Skeptic Summary #107
By The Staff
Posted on: 9/2/2006
Microfascists, sharks, churches, spammers, scammers and more!
Week ending September 2, 2006 (Vol 3, #34)
Welcome to the Skeptic Summary, a quick week-in-review guide to the Skeptic Friends Network and the rest of the skeptical world.
Evidence Based Medical Microfascists - What “other way of knowing” would you suggest?Kil’s Evil Pick:
Octopus vs. Shark (video) - Next up, T. Rex vs. Dr. Hovind.
Voting in churches - Where would Jesus vote?
Editor’s Choice: Spammers have hacked this forum - Or, maybe it was just an idiot going about things the hard way.
From the Urban Legends Reference Pages (always worth a look around), comes this, ummmmm, Nigerian Son of Spam scam email.Chat Highlights:
Sunday: Painkillers and side effects, nightmares; Darby kicked out of the Democratic Party for denying the Holocaust; the Atheist Law Center; socialists and commies; kitten getting stomped: fake or malevolence; faith and healing; Roddy’s satire website; how location might influence voting; swearing on the Bible in court; Santa and the “anti-Santa”; Surface of the Sun.New Members This Week:
Wednesday: A discussion on radioactive decay and beta particles. All puns made were negative. It took a nuclear engineer to answer some fundamental questions. Onto more important topics, Rolling Rock is no more. Americans drown their sorrows with the last few cases left. Talk of TAM5 ensued when beskeptigal gave us the good news that she is going. Kil is still working on a plan to get there. Also, Kil’s face, thongs, and fish net came up, but no puns were made. That wasn’t the end of the night, but things went a bit downhill from there.
Come chat with us.
(Not a member? Become one today!)
Elsewhere in the World:
Bad ScienceBook of the Week:
Skepticality - The Bad Astronomer talks Pluto
What’s New by Bob Park
Got some skeptic news items? Send them to us, and we’ll think about adding them.
The Encyclopedia of Urban Legends, by Jan Harold Brunvand.
“Did you hear that Indiana University’s library in Bloomington is sinking? This story which regularly evokes needless concern among university alumni is only one of thousands of urban legends that circulate in popular culture and especially on the Internet. Compiled by the foremost authority on this form of contemporary folklore, this unique encylopedia includes hundreds of such stories from published sources and oral tradition.”
— Library Journal
This Week’s Most-Viewed Pages:
- Ann Coulter’s book: Godless (1,421 views)
- Caesar’s Messiah (903 views)
- Surface of the Sun (part 11) (819 views)
- Impeach that vile, little blackguard now! (471 views)
- Voting in churches (386 views)
- Amnesty International condemns targeting Lebanese infrastructure (304 views)
- Interesting atheist web site (228 views)
- Octopus vs. Shark (video) (215 views)
- All great truths begin as blasphemies (207 views)
- Coulter, Darwin & Hitler (187 views)
There were 4,874 daily visitors this week.
- Miracle Thaw — The Bogus Miracle (99 views)
- Kent Hovind is a Big Phony! (86 views)
- Cold Reading (81 views)
- Skeptic Summary #39 (59 views)
- Skeptic Summary #106 (45 views)
- Why Do Creationists Fear Evolution? (43 views)
- Dr. Dino doesn’t like our Jack Chick spoof! (41 views)
- Miracle Thaw Tray (38 views)
- You’re an Idiot (37 views)
- Preaching that Anti-Evolution Propaganda (35 views)
August’s Most-Viewed Pages:
- Surface of the Sun (part 10) (1,776 views)
- Caesar’s Messiah (1,635 views)
- Surface of the Sun (part 9) (1,534 views)
- Ann Coulter’s book: Godless (1,346 views)
- Familiar formula afoot (868 views)
- Impeach that vile, little blackguard now! (655 views)
- Surface of the Sun (part 11) (655 views)
- Coulter, Darwin & Hitler (610 views)
- Christianity and the cracks in the pot… (590 views)
- George Galloway on Israel (588 views)
- JonBenet killer found? (577 views)
- Interesting atheist web site (521 views)
- Guild Wars online fantasy roleplaying game (501 views)
- New Virgin sighting! (485 views)
- Are Penn & Teller spreading bullsh*t? (474 views)
- All great truths begin as blasphemies (452 views)
- Owl on the dollar bill… (436 views)
- C-SPAN 9/11 symposium (422 views)
- I don’t believe it!! Fucking idiots!!! (410 views)
- Draft Al Gore (394 views)
There were 17,861 daily visitors in August.
- Kent Hovind is a Big Phony! (356 views)
- Miracle Thaw — The Bogus Miracle (344 views)
- Cold Reading (245 views)
- TAM4 (226 views)
- Skeptic Summary #39 (185 views)
- Why Do Creationists Fear Evolution? (183 views)
- Miracle Thaw Tray (160 views)
- Dr. Dino doesn’t like our Jack Chick spoof! (157 views)
- You’re an Idiot (157 views)
- The Bible Answer Man (135 views)
- Evidence Cited as Hard Proof of the Existence of Satanic Cults (134 views)
- Evolution, Scientology Style (131 views)
- The Bible’s Bad Fruits (107 views)
- Preaching that Anti-Evolution Propaganda (98 views)
- Tommy Debates the Bible Answer man (93 views)
- The Fred Flintstone Hoax (83 views)
- The Laundry Solution (77 views)
- Is the Speed of Light Slowing Down? (75 views)
- Mesmer, Casino Monkey, and Video Sex (75 views)
- A Brief History of the Skeptic Friends Network (75 views)
More issues of the Skeptic Summary can be found in our archive.
The Skeptic Summary is produced by the staff of the Skeptic Friends Network, copyright 2006, all rights reserved.
Read or Add Comments about the Skeptic Summary