Back to Skeptic Summary
Skeptic Summary #116
By The Staff
Posted on: 11/5/2006
A hero, a prisoner, a recommendation, a theory, a scientist, a remarkable finding and more!
Week ending November 4, 2006 (Vol 3, #43)
Welcome to the Skeptic Summary, a quick week-in-review guide to the Skeptic Friends Network and the rest of the skeptical world.
The SFN would like to send Kil back to the Amaz!ing Meeting next January, and you can help!Forum Highlights:
Kil’s Evil Pick:
The despised hero - Maybe not completely…
Evangelist arrested on tax evasion… guess who! - Not just arrested, but now imprisoned.
Three meals a day - Or more. Or less.
What did cause the Towers to collapse? - I still like the "leopard vomit" theory.
Editor’s Choice: Rogue scientist has own scientific method - Any thread which lends itself to Douglas Adams quotes is a good one.
This just in… Obesity on the Rise Among Telekinetics.Chat Highlights:
Sunday: Prison Break and CSI are popular shows among Swedish prison inmates; eloping to Las Vegas; in-laws pro and con; apartments and condos. Kil, gore, and corpses. A drive-by visitor tries to pick up Kil for a date without success; suggestions for the SFN site software; will the US midterm election cripple Bush? Swedish people consider USA greatest threat to world peace; what could be done to boost the UN?New Members This Week:
Wednesday: Chat started off with computer talk once again as some members were having trouble with different chat features. Then the topic moved on to boats as we looked at various satellite images of US aircraft carriers. A bit of talk about some current threads and debate formats. Then a quick discussion on the ICR and Kent Hovind’s current situation. The night finished out with HTML and CSS.
Come chat with us.
(Not a member? Become one today!)
Elsewhere in the World:
Bad ScienceBook of the Week:
Skepticality #038 - A Very Houdini Halloween with James Randi and the Houdini Museum
What’s New by Bob Park
Got some skeptic news items? Send them to us, and we’ll think about adding them.
Crimes Against Logic, by Jamie Whyte.
“A witty assault on lame rhetoric, specious logic, and official BS
Here’s a fast-paced, ruthlessly funny romp through the mulligan stew of illogic, unreason, and just plain drivel served up daily in the media by pundits, psychics, ad agencies, New Age gurus, statisticians, free trade ideologues, business ‘thinkers,’ and, of course, politicians. Award-winning young philosopher Jamie Whyte applies his laser-like wit to dozens of timely examples in order to deconstruct the rhetoric and cut through the haze of shibboleth and doubletalk to get at the real issues.
A troubleshooting guide to both public and private discourse, Crimes Against Logic:
— Book Description
- Analyzes the 12 major logical fallacies, with examples from the media and everyday life
- Takes no prisoners as it goes up against the scientific, religious, academic, and political establishments
- Helps you fine-tune your critical faculties and learn to skewer debaters on their own phony logic”
This Week’s Most-Viewed Pages:
Forum Topics:October’s Most-Viewed Pages:
- What I don’t get… (1,224 views)
- Psychic Jomanda/Millecam: the true story (812 views)
- What did cause the Towers to collapse? (736 views)
- The real problem (541 views)
- Big Bang (457 views)
- Caesar’s Messiah (part 3) (421 views)
- Reality check (309 views)
- Evangelist arrested on tax evasion… Guess who! (303 views)
- Three meals a day (295 views)
- Next "Face of Mars"-type of controversy? (278 views)
There were 4,693 daily visitors this week.
- Kent Hovind is a Big Phony! (102 views)
- Miracle Thaw — The Bogus Miracle (93 views)
- Cold Reading (54 views)
- Skeptic Summary #115 (49 views)
- Dr. Dino doesn’t like our Jack Chick spoof! (45 views)
- Why Do Creationists Fear Evolution? (44 views)
- Evidence Cited as Hard Proof of the Existence of Satanic Cults (43 views)
- You’re an Idiot (43 views)
- Miracle Thaw Tray (40 views)
- The Bible Answer Man (38 views)
- Caesar’s Messiah (part 3) (2,182 views)
- The physics behind the collapses (1,863 views)
- NIST report deserves skepticism (1,859 views)
- Just to be clear… (1,829 views)
- Molten metal (1,641 views)
- Oct 5, World Can’t Wait massive protest event (1,474 views)
- What I don’t get… (1,374 views)
- Just to be clear (part 2) (1,088 views)
- It seems very strange to me (1,021 views)
- Big Bang (856 views)
- Ah, North Korea brings us all together… (820 views)
- What’s the ultimate trivia question? (731 views)
- Psychic Jomanda/Millecam: the true story (697 views)
- Caesar’s Messiah (Part 2) (653 views)
- A simple question (640 views)
- Debunk or just bunk (629 views)
- Olbermann kicks major ass on MSNBC (594 views)
- War on evolution has a price (487 views)
- EEStor’s storage capacitor: breakthru or baloney? (455 views)
- Owl on the dollar bill… (430 views)
There were 19,438 daily visitors in October.
- Kent Hovind is a Big Phony! (353 views)
- Miracle Thaw — The Bogus Miracle (334 views)
- Cold Reading (299 views)
- Spam Scams and Slams (167 views)
- Miracle Thaw Tray (161 views)
- The Bible Answer Man (152 views)
- Dr. Dino doesn’t like our Jack Chick spoof! (147 views)
- Skeptic Summary #39 (137 views)
- Why Do Creationists Fear Evolution? (128 views)
- The Bible’s Bad Fruits (120 views)
- A Brief History of the Skeptic Friends Network (116 views)
- Preaching that Anti-Evolution Propaganda (114 views)
- Evidence Cited as Hard Proof of the Existence of Satanic Cults (111 views)
- You’re an Idiot (109 views)
- The Laundry Solution (97 views)
- Evil Skeptic and a Visit to Awareness 2000 (93 views)
- Tommy Debates the Bible Answer man (81 views)
- Skeptic Summary #113 (80 views)
- Evolution, Scientology Style (78 views)
- Is the Speed of Light Slowing Down? (77 views)
More issues of the Skeptic Summary can be found in our archive.
The Skeptic Summary is produced by the staff of the Skeptic Friends Network, copyright 2006, all rights reserved.
Read or Add Comments about the Skeptic Summary