Claims List
Skeptic Links
Book Reviews
Gift Shop
Staff

Server Time: 23:23:52
Your Local Time:

Skeptic Summary

Printer Friendly Printer Friendly Version of this Article... Bookmark Bookmark This Article...

Skeptic Summary #202

By The Staff
Posted on: 8/23/2008

Not-so-free markets, scholarly Googling, Obama's second, a Bigfoot let-down, didja know and more!

Week ending August 23, 2008 (Vol 5, #30)

Welcome to the Skeptic Summary, a quick week-in-review guide to the Skeptic Friends Network and the rest of the skeptical world.

Forum Highlights:
Free markets? - Do online RPGs count?

Google Scholar, always hard to use - It’s like you need to be a scholar, or something.

Obama/Biden 2008 - This election is slowly turning into Lethal Weapon.

Editor’s Choice: Yeti myth alive and well - Who coulda thunk it’d turn out like it did?

Kil’s Evil Pick:
Did You Know? - Once again I have chosen a video. It’s a very entertaining collage of facts about the increasing rate of technological advances that are happening, with a few other interesting facts thrown in.

And no, I did not check all of the facts before choosing the video as my pick. It seems to me that if you are actually motivated enough to check the presentation for accuracy, I have done my job and then some!

By the way, my ex-wife sent the video link to me. I take her word on most things…

SkeptiQuote:
Humanity has the stars in its future, and that future is too important to be lost under the burden of juvenile folly and ignorant superstition.
— Isaac Asimov

Chat Highlights:
Sunday: Our Sunday chat host is on vacation.

Wednesday: Chat started off with news of Kil passing a stress test as he gets ready for surgery. Unfortunately, he celebrated by eating a Fatburger. Perhaps not the wisest decision, but at least his heart is in the right place. chefcrsh also announced his new series of cooking videos, which may be found on his YouTube page. After chefcrsh left, it was mostly staff chat. Our recent polls, site statistics, and a top secret thing I’m not allowed to talk about. Then talk about the future with different site features, a possible change to the Summary, and new poll ideas. Somewhere in the midst of all this was framing atheism.

Come chat with us.

New Members This Week:
Graculus
Scott Eaker
WandaMaria
chuckgoecke
tonysidaway
oriole
MissInfidel
shonny
Bodach
biplovecoolman
adonais

(Not a member? Become one today!)

Elsewhere in the World:
Flickering Fallacy: The Myth of Compact Florescent Light Bulb Headaches

Healthy mind, healthy body

Report on the Sixth International Conference on Creationism, Part One

Report on the Sixth International Conference on Creationism, Part Two

What year is it, anyway?

What’s New by Bob Park

Got some skeptic news items? Send them to us, and we’ll think about adding them.

Book of the Week:
The March of Unreason: Science, Democracy, and the New Fundamentalism, by Dick Taverne.

“In The March of Unreason, Dick Taverne expresses his concern that irrationality is on the rise in Western society, and argues that public opinion is increasingly dominated by unreflecting prejudice and an unwillingness to engage with factual evidence. Discussing topics such as genetically modified crops and foods, organic farming, the MMR vaccine, environmentalism, the precautionary principle, and the new anti-capitalist and anti-globalization movements, he argues that the rejection of the evidence-based approach nurtures a culture of suspicion, distrust, and cynicism, and leads to dogmatic assertion and intolerance. Science, with all the benefits it brings, is an essential part of a civilized and democratic society: it offers the most hopeful future for humankind.”

— Product Description

This Week’s Most-Viewed Pages:
Forum Topics:
  1. Ready to rumble! (10,562 views)
  2. PZ expelled from Expelled — Dawkins slips in! (2,845 views)
  3. Obama vs McCain at Lake Forest (547 views)
  4. Possum on the half shell (542 views)
  5. NASA doctors photos from Mars (418 views)
  6. Welcome to Guantanamo, Colorado (319 views)
  7. Stop laughing, dammit! This is serious shit! (268 views)
  8. Crop circles again… (262 views)
  9. Yeti myth alive and well (254 views)
  10. A Christian (Catholic) sense of proportion… (233 views)
Articles:
  1. Evolving a Venom or Two (1,235 views)
  2. Fundamentalists Hate Noah’s Ark (1,054 views)
  3. Preaching that Anti-Evolution Propaganda (267 views)
  4. Is the Speed of Light Slowing Down? (224 views)
  5. Evolution is a Lie, and you Skeptics KNOW it! Part 4 (199 views)
  6. More on the Polonium 218 Controversy (167 views)
  7. The Biblical support for a Flat Earth and Geocentricism (148 views)
  8. 2nd Law of Thermodynamics Argument Weak on Both Sides (126 views)
  9. Questioning the Validity of False Memory Syndrome (120 views)
  10. Skeptic Summary #152 (113 views)
There were 28,605 daily visitors this week.

More issues of the Skeptic Summary can be found in our archive.

The Skeptic Summary is produced by the staff of the Skeptic Friends Network, copyright 2008, all rights reserved.

Read or Add Comments about the Skeptic Summary

Back to Skeptic Summary

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds.