Claims List
Skeptic Links
Book Reviews
Gift Shop
Staff

Server Time: 05:56:41
Your Local Time:

Skeptic Summary

Printer Friendly Printer Friendly Version of this Article... Bookmark Bookmark This Article...

Skeptic Summary #377

By The Staff
Posted on: 12/2/2012

Morton, Markuze, masters, buzzwords, satire, Full Documentaries and more!

Week ending December 02, 2012 (Vol 9, #26)

Welcome to the Skeptic Summary, a quick, bi-weekly review of the Skeptic Friends Network and the rest of the skeptical world.

Forum Highlights:
Glenn Morton erases his archives - Morton suffers from his own demon, again.

How the divine pen of N crushed the atheists - Markuze re-arrested for probation violations.

Never call them ‘master’! - Examining religious titles.

New general technology? - A lot of buzzwords, but not much substance.

Editor’s Choice: Do you really know him? - Awesome satire.

Kil’s Evil Pick:
FullDocumentary: Streaming documentary films — I love a good documentary. Especially, but not limited to, science documentaries. And I have, in the past, recommended links to documentary channels on YouTube and elsewhere here in my picks. And through very little work of my part, I think I have hit upon the mother-load of online documentaries at the FullDocumentary site. Through very little work of my part because it was just a link that someone had posted on Facebook. (I looked so I could credit that person, but there is no name attached to the “share.” Oh well…)

Within moments of posting the link on Facebook, SFN-regular H. Humbert pointed out that one of the documentaries is the pseudoscientific film, What The Bleep Do We Know? On the upside, whoever is running the site chose to add this disclaimer:
The film has been criticized for both misrepresenting science and containing pseudoscience and has been described as quantum mysticism.
So yeah. Thar be woo here… and plenty of it! I watch those kinds of movies so it’s not a problem for me. If it is for you, worry not. Most of the documentaries are straight up and not crazy. (Be careful in the conspiracy folder, however. It’s filled with nutty stuff.)

The categories cover just about everything you might be interested in. As usual, I’m not going to link to them. But go look! There are literally hundreds of titles under these headings: History, Business, Society, Conspiracy, Economics, Performing Arts, Mystery, Health Nature, Music, Religion and Science. There’s going to be something, or a lot of things, in there for you! Plus there is also a breakdown of the same list into Most Popular titles. Of course, Most Popular doesn’t mean better.

So what do the creators of the FullDocumentary have to say about themselves? Nothing at all! I couldn’t find a thing about who they are. They do tell us that new titles are added daily, and there is this disclaimer:
None of the content is hosted on FullDocumentary. All videos and documentaries are not on our servers or uploaded by us. The videos are sourced from elsewhere on the internet from sites such as YouTube, Google Videos, Vimeo and embedded here.

All documentaries are assumed to be either in the public domain or uploaded with the consent of their copyright owners. Should any visitor have any copyright issues or questions regarding the documentaries featured, please contact the respective video host.

Hey, I warned you about the conspiracy folder!

That’s about it. FullDocumentary is the no-frills place to go for when you just must watch a documentary film, and a great resource for finding them. I’m highly recommending the site, or it wouldn’t be this week’s Evil Pick. But hey, isn’t that always the case?

SkeptiQuote:
There’s a mighty big difference between good, sound reasons and reasons that sound good.
— Burton Hillis

Chat Highlights:
Wednesday, November 21st: This was a slow chat. Terry talked some about the stock market. the ignored dropped by and we talked about Christians misrepresenting atheism, then winter weather. We also had a surprise visit from our web-master @tomic! Mars rover Curiosity, and Dennis Markuze was also mentioned.

Come chat with us.

New Members This Week:
ZOGMAN
Quasar
stigger
Jussi
LogicallyYours
Slowvehicle
alice

(Not a member? Become one today!)

Elsewhere in the World:
Aerosols: Airborne particles in Earth’s atmosphere

Aussie scientists un-discover Pacific island

The ‘Bloop’ mystery solved!

Call That a Ball? Dogs Learn to Associate Words With Objects Differently Than Humans Do

Cat regularly catches bus in Dorset

Conversion therapist: Lawsuit won’t stop us

Dispelling common myths about the flu vaccine

Doubtful News

Drunks More Likely to Survive Injuries, Study Suggests

Great tit disease ‘spread to UK by insects’

Heroes of Science Action Figures

I’ve got your missing links right here

Island in the Sky

Judge Forces Parents To Vaccinate Child

Lively: Praise God for Strip Club Explosion

Melba Ketchum announces Bigfoot DNA results. Without the data.

Most and Least Emotional Countries Revealed

Neil Patrick Harris in Neil’s Puppet Dreams — Behind the Scenes

Onion: We just fooled the Chinese government!

Risk of robot uprising wiping out human race to be studied

Self-taught African Teen Wows M.I.T.

Skepticality #196 — Jill-Jet: And The Magical Tale of Penn

Stephen Fry on American vs British Comedy

Still Looking Like the Higgs

What’s New by Bob Park

Yet another patient wasting money on Stanislaw Burzynski’s antineoplastons while Burzynski apparently slithers away from justice yet again

The Yeti: Asia’s Abominable Snowman

Got some skeptic news items? Send them to us, and we’ll think about adding them.

Book of the Week:
Global Warming and Political Intimidation: How Politicians Cracked Down on Scientists As the Earth Heated Up, by Raymond S. Bradley.

“Global warming is the number one environmental issue of our time, yet some prominent politicians have refused to accept scientific evidence of human responsibility and have opposed any legislation or international agreement that would limit greenhouse gas emissions. A few have gone even further and have tried to destroy the reputations of scientists researching climate change by deliberately undermining the credibility of their research. These politicians have sought to sow seeds of doubt in the minds of the public and to weaken public and political support for the control of fossil fuel use.

In this powerful book, highly respected climate scientist Raymond Bradley provides the inside story from the front lines of the debate. In clear and direct language, he describes the tactics those in power have used to intimidate him and his colleagues part of a larger pattern of governmental suppression of scientific information, politics at the expense of empirically based discourse.

Speaking from his experience, Bradley exposes the fault lines in the global warming debate, while providing a concise primer on climate change. The result is a cautionary tale of how politics and science can become fatally intertwined, written by one scientist who was unwittingly ensnared in a web of political intimidation.”

— Book Description

This Week’s Most-Viewed Pages:
Forum Topics:
  1. Bedini motor
  2. Dr. Jeffery Life and Cenegenics
  3. Random fun
  4. Little-a versus big-A atheism
  5. Scattershots: gargoyles & grotesques
  6. Glenn Morton erases his archives
  7. Climbing Jacob’s ladder
  8. Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed! (Part 2)
  9. New general technology?
  10. ETs are here, despite guesses to the contrary
Articles:
  1. Evolving a Venom or Two
  2. Miracle Thaw — The Bogus Miracle
  3. The Myth of the Missing Moon Dust
  4. Fundamentalists Hate Noah’s Ark
  5. Is the Speed of Light Slowing Down?
  6. Evolution is a Lie, and you Skeptics KNOW it!
  7. What is a Skeptic and Why Bother Being One?
  8. Free the Glutens, or When a Cookie isn’t Just a Cookie
  9. The Legend of the Shrinking Sun
  10. Cold Reading
There were 5,948 daily visitors this week.
Last Month’s Most-Viewed Pages:
Forum Topics:
  1. Parody Chick tract, ‘Myths, Lies and Miss Hinn’
  2. Dr. Jeffery Life and Cenegenics
  3. Little-a versus big-A atheism
  4. Stan Lee’s superhumans
  5. Random fun
  6. Bedini motor
  7. Scattershots: gargoyles & grotesques
  8. Talk about your sore losers!
  9. The Supper
  10. How the divine pen of N crushed the atheists
  11. Election 2012
  12. Fif50ty FreAkieSt AnIMaLS
  13. Funny FAILS
  14. Medical acronyms
  15. Scientist: No knuckle-walkers in human ancestry
  16. The Skeptic Summary
  17. Jesus tempts Satan
  18. New general technology?
  19. Disney buys Lucasfilm… more Star Wars movies coming
  20. Scattershots: Cleaning out the pipes
Articles:
  1. Evolving a Venom or Two
  2. Miracle Thaw — The Bogus Miracle
  3. Fundamentalists Hate Noah’s Ark
  4. Is the Speed of Light Slowing Down?
  5. What is a Skeptic and Why Bother Being One?
  6. The Myth of the Missing Moon Dust
  7. Cold Reading
  8. Free the Glutens, or When a Cookie isn’t Just a Cookie
  9. The Legend of the Shrinking Sun
  10. The Bible’s Bad Fruits
  11. The Biblical support for a Flat Earth and Geocentricism
  12. Scientific Truth
  13. How Do Vaccines Work?
  14. Preaching that Anti-Evolution Propaganda
  15. Skeptic Summary #376
  16. Skeptic Summary #375
  17. Evolution is a Lie, and you Skeptics KNOW it!
  18. Evolution is a Lie, and you Skeptics KNOW it! Part 4
  19. TAM5
  20. N. 25, June 2002: Ecology vs. ecophily — being reasonable about saving the environment
There were 28,339 daily visitors in November, 2012.

More issues of the Skeptic Summary can be found in our archive.

The Skeptic Summary is produced by the staff of the Skeptic Friends Network, copyright 2012, all rights reserved.

Read or Add Comments about the Skeptic Summary

Back to Skeptic Summary

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds.